1983 quarter?

adcgonz

I found an 1983 quarter,p, and i looked it up in the red book and saw that it worth up to 21 dollars. Why? Itsn't it just a quarter? I noticed that the eagle doesn't have any feathers on its chest/ breast.

Why is the quarter worth so much?

I just found a 1983 P quarter yesterday too:DMine looks like it been in the ground since 1983.I'll have to clean it up and see how it come out,I wonder how many others I"ve found that ended up back at the bank rolled.It was heading for the clad jar!

not to be a bubble burster here, but the $21 value of your quarter in the red book is at a MS-63 (mint state) which means the coin is darn near perfect. acording the the 2009 blue book, a 1983-P quarter in MS-65 condition is worth $20. a MS-63 coin, $2, and down once you get out of the MS grades. and with a mintage of 673,535,000 coin, i wouldnt say its a key date either.

not to be a bubble burster here, but the $21 value of your quarter in the red book is at a MS-63 (mint state) which means the coin is darn near perfect. acording the the 2009 blue book, a 1983-P quarter in MS-65 condition is worth $20. a MS-63 coin, $2, and down once you get out of the MS grades. and with a mintage of 673,535,000 coin, i wouldnt say its a key date either.

Yes, and anything coming out of the ground wouldn't even be considered poor....:roll: Slightly frustrating! But definitely look for those in your pocket change, you might find one in better condition! HH
NC

Lol... I'm not so amazed about the Quarter but I am wondering what possessed you to look it up in the book in the first place? If it were me it would go right in my coin jar. :?:

well i'm a coin collector.

Yeah i didn't find it in the ground. it was in my change. Thats cool thanks for the insight.

But Why?

Only souvenir sets were made that year, no mint sets. This means that examples in a high grade are rare, but in a low grade, they're not.

After Reviewing the play....
I found out its not a p but a d. which depriciaties the vaule greatly. So should i hold on to it or put it in the jar?

I'm posting pictures

Here they are

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

I think what makes the 1983-P and to a much lesser extent, the 1983-D, so valuable in Mint State is that so few were saved from rolls. The economy was coming out of a recession at the time, and so many people didn't save the new quarters. Kind of like right now. I'm noticing a lot more earlier state quarters in high grade in my change lately because people are breaking down and spending them.
As was also mentioned, no mint sets were made in 1983, so the entire mintage was dumped in to circulation essentially. Combined with the fact that not many people appreciate clad coinage (then or now), and only people with incredible hindsight or passion for modern issues kept the rolls, and you begin to understand how such a "common" coin is scarce in high grades.

In 1983 there weren't any mint sets released. So the market has absolutely no mints or mint proofs of the 1983 P, S & D Washington quarters. And to help matters, no one realized then that they should be saving these. Right now, a great 1983 P is worth as much as $56.00! Many of them are still out there, but NONE of them are mint! That's good news for us because it means that the one in your change from 7-ll could be worth up to $56.00 now as long as it is in pretty good shape!

What are these guys worth? anyone know? Ive been collecting all quarters from 1965 -1985 HELP?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,447
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3,458
Lol... I'm not so amazed about the Quarter but I am wondering what possessed you to look it up in the book in the first place? If it were me it would go right in my coin jar. :?:

+2 I was just thinking the same thing

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I was going thru some quarters last night and started looking up some of the state quarter values. I only found 2 P's, the rest were D's. I didn't find any S's; but when I looked at the S mint mark value, it was much higher. The S mint used a lot of silver in their quarters! Sometimes it pays to do a little extra looking. (Of course, in my case, it was just for curiosity because I had no S's.)

Back
Top Bottom