Any Tesoro Thumbers Out There?

beephead

Elite Member
Tesoro has some of the best discriminators in the business. A Tesoro user who really knows their Tesoro can tell what's in the ground just as well if not better than someone using a digital VDI detector. Also the single audio tone on a Tesoro carries a lot of info to the trained ear.

The thing that amazes me the most is the fact that a high percentage of time you can tell a piece of can slaw or pull tab from a gold ring by thumbing. A gold ring will discriminate in and out cleanly and sharply and can slaw and pull tabs will not most of the time, they will crackle and pop.

I normally set my discrimination just above iron or a foil cap depending on the location and dig all good sounding repeatable audio signals. Even at a foil cap discrimination setting I can still detect a really tiny super thin 14k gold ring. I'm getting to where I don't like getting up and down so much, so I may start doing more thumbing and less digging.

beephead

I am definitely a thumber as well. I have found that I find more decent targets in less time using my Vaquero than I do with the Etrac. By thumbing and listening to the quality of the audio tone, I'm able to more quickly determine if the target is one I'd like to dig. With the Etrac, it seems like I spend more time on a target before digging it because I'm looking at the numbers and listening to the tones.

I’ve thumbed some. Digger wrote about it awhile back. But honestly, I can tell can slaw from the tone alone. I set my compadres to the “r” in “Iron” 99.9% of the time. I don’t spend a lot of time generally waving the coil over a target, if it gives me an interesting tone I’ll dig it, even if it’s a scratchy tone I’ll 9/10 dig it. I know it’s a lot more digging and I fully respect those who spend more time analyzing the target to save from digging trash, but my personality(?) won’t let me leave that target there as it could be gold, never know fully :)

I'm working on it with my Mojave. So far I'm doing pretty good, can call junk about 70-80 percent of the time, but I do tend to dig it all when using it. I enjoy the mindless beep dig aspect sometimes, and not spending any time investigating so each dig is like a slot machine pull.

Plus, all the digging and squats keep my butt looking sexy.

Still have an old Tesoro Silver Saber and I haven't used it much since I got my V3i, CTX 3030, Xp Deus and Nox 800...I keep the Tesoro mainly because my Dad gave it to me. It would be excellent for tot lots. Cant see where it would be much better than the other detectors I have at depth or sorting through targets like the Deus does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

By Thumbing....are you referring to thumbing up and down the discrimination knob on the detector? Or are you referring to something else entirely?

At one time I did, matter of fact I used to modify the disc knob to make it easier. One I did with a plexiglass disc (like a flat washer), making the top of the knob larger/easier to spin. After that, I decided being old and having to wear my glasses to do it, I used a small lens from a magnifying glass on top of the disc knob, which made it easier to thumb, as well as read :lol:

Anymore, I don't, I just dig it. It's about as quick, and is the ONLY sure way to know what's there, regardless of what detector you're using.

Like you said, it all depends on the site.

Sometimes I'll thumb the disc to ID but usually when
I am hunting with a Tesoro it's for park jewelry so I
Will set disc at the o or n in iron and dig everything
that sounds small and clean,although that's not always
foolproof because a broken ring will often sound
pretty crappy so I just hope I didn't miss any gold!:cool:

Also will grab a Tesoro when I have a short window to
hunt a new location and want to cherry pick silver/old
coins. Set the disc right at zinc and cherry pick it!

That's what I do, that's all I do and have for many years now.
I can't stand digging tons of trash like I used to and I no longer let the what if's bother me like they did in the past.
I hunt many of the same sites over and over so if I do miss something I just figure I will hit it another time with a different direction, coil or even a different detector.
Despite not digging everything anymore this high percentage way I do this I believe has found me more over the years than spending the time and energy digging that much higher volume of junk.
I am much more rested, happy and satisfied, anyway.

WOW,,, There are a bunch of us old Tesoro thumbers out here. My first Tesoro was an Amego. I remember trying the thumb trick on that thing. Than after a while you just learn them beeps that are good. If it has a scratchy sound, do not dig. If that beep is about a foot long, I do not want a sewer lid cover. Them short sweet beeps will get you something good . Take your time with any beep and dig detector and you will learn a lot. They all have a way of letting you know what is their. You want to know how deep it is. Just wave the coil over your target and slowly raise it. When the beep goes away. Look how high the coil is from the ground. That will give you a good idea on how deep it is. Learn to use a screw driver to pop it out. Good luck pout their and leave no mess...

KEN. :D

I'll thumb the knob occasionally but usually I'll keep the disc low and listen as I back up the coil. A quick, clean disappearance of the signal usually indicates something like a ring or coin. It it's scratchy as it goes away it's usually something jagged, like can slaw. There are exceptions of course.

Digger tell those who don't know how to thumb how it's done. You're great at explaining things.

beephead

Sure.
Back in 2011 I had lots of hours on my Vaquero but a newbie asked about how to hunt with a Compadre he was getting and this was my reply.
Pretty much the basics, and I didn't have my Compadre yet so I just pretended I took the Vaq and ripped all the knobs it except the disc.
Below that I will talk a little about the method I eventually evolved into using the thumb past and then thumb back down method which is the only way I do this now.

---------------------

Here is where metals will show up on your dial.
Forget the numbers, just study their locations.

scale.jpg

The way you figure out what you are digging before you dig it, which is never 100% by the way, is to "thumb" that disc knob and figure out where the metals in the range you see in the picture go away or "disc out".

*Tip*....It is more accurate to turn the knob way up and then turn it down slowly as you are swinging over the target and stop at the area where you hear a tone come in, than to turn it up until it fades out.

Now you have done this and lets say it was silent till you got to the zinc mark.
Now you have a clue, and this hobby is all about taking all your clues and putting them together to make an educated guess.
From studying the picture, you remember that this zinc area should sound off if you have a zinc penny or other zinc item, an Indian head penny, a screw-cap or gold.
Might be some other things like can slaw, but it could be one of the first four, too.
Maybe you want to run your coil around the target area and try to size the target.
Where does the tone sound loudest and then fade out?
Hit it from a different angle and try to get a picture in your mind on how big it is...coin size, maybe a little bigger?
In low disc down to all metal to get the clearest signal or at least turning it back below zinc on the disc knob, how loud does it sound when you scan it?
Really loud, maybe medium loud or softer?
This gives you a clue on the depth.
Another depth trick is lift the coil and swing over it.
Do you lose it at 3 inches above the ground, 4-5?
If you know your limit of your detector, and subtract the height of your coil above the target where it goes silent, this can give you approximate depth.

Now you decide to whip your coil over the target real fast and see if the tones stay solid from all angles or breaks up.
If it breaks up it could be trash, if not, still might be a good target.

All of these techniques are aimed to give you clues, and those clues will lead you to an educated guess and that will lead you to digging a hole...or not.

As you put in your time, you also start to hear slight differences in that tone.
A zinc penny might sound very solid and full and the same all the way through, but a screw-cap might not sound so full.
Maybe you noticed after locating and scanning hundreds of these that a screw-cap doesn't stay full, but maybe breaks a little right at the end of the signal as you thumb that coil up and down.
It gets a little fuzzy.
You never could tell the difference at the beginning, but now, after much practice, you can hear that difference, and so you have another good clue as to what you might have sitting in the ground below you.

Solid tone, rings true, no breaking of the signal, small like a coin, really loud tone, can raise the coil pretty high before it fades out or comes in at the zinc area...I think this is a zinc penny that is about 1 inch down...then you dig it...and it is.
Or maybe not, like I said, not 100% in this hobby...ever...but you cut your odds down some on digging trash, and you made a good guess.

It's a process.
As you progress, your guesses get better.

The universe must be laughing at us that do this hobby because it made so many bad things ring up in the same areas as so many good things.
Aluminum hangs out where the high tone coins do.
Nickels and gold can live in the same neighborhood...as a matter of fact, gold seems to live in almost all the neighborhoods.
Nobody is perfect, we all dig lots of trash, but the better you get the less trash you dig and the more treasure you find.

Study the picture, know your metals and where they line up in relation to your disc knob.

Then practice, practice practice.
Really listen and try to remember that tone you hear before you dig a target, then remember what target you dug after that specific tone.
It takes time for your instincts to kick in and this stuff becomes second nature, but it will eventually happen.
Once you dig enough holes.

That's how I do it.

HH

---------------

Once in a great while I might turn the disc up to max and just cherry pick but most times that knob is way low.
To set that knob anywhere higher than iron and just dig whatever beeps drives me insane, I just never did it that way, I have always thumbed the disc knob to figure out all my targets because it is a little game I enjoy playing with myself and always did since day one.

After a long time digging a whole lot and thumbing that knob up to the fade out point I decided to listen to what others were suggesting and not just thumb up to the fade out point to figure out targets but go past it to silence, if they indeed did go silent, and then thumb back down...and listen real hard to what was happening as I did this while making short, quick side to side movements with the coil as I did so.
I finally realized how much more accurate this way was, I can't count how many targets came in at a certain spot on the disc dial coming down that weren't all that close to where they faded out going up.
The accuracy thumbing down was far and above much greater going up every time.
For the life of me I can't figure out why Tesoro never this method anywhere...in their manuals, on their website or anywhere else...but they never have.
Maybe they don't care about this accuracy, maybe they don't know about it, (doubtful), maybe they don't want to reprint all their manuals.
Whatever, I am not the only one out there that does it this way either, by far.

Usually I hunt in all metal or close to it to get the strongest, loudest, clearest tone possible because some Tesoros lose a bit of depth as you increase the disc.
When I get a pretty good sounding solid signal I thumb up and then when I am thumbing down I listen to the tones I hear closely.
How sharp is the sound of the edge of that tone, is there any noise at all before the signal solidifies, crackles, fuzz, clicks, anything, or does the target just come in with very little or no noise.
I have learned good targets, most of them for me, usually just come in with hardly any noise while most bad targets and junk tends to come in noisy.
Most foil is noisy plus depending on the frequency of the audio on my Tesoro just don't sound good at all.
On my high tone Vaq all foil made me wince and gnash my back teeth every time I heard that super annoying tone.
Most tabs are jumpy and noisy coming in if they are not shallow and laying flat...and so on.
Dig enough of any single classification of target enough and you usually get to learn their most common sound and behavior.
Not 100% on either type either, some bad targets can come in pretty silently and solid, (flattened old rusted crown caps laying flat in the soil), and some good targets can come in a bit noisy, nickels come to mind, for some reason out of all coins many of those seem to be the least stable and noisier dialing up or down.
Some are perfect, a lot are not and just noisy on the ends so I just dig a lot of those in case gold is hiding.
Most other targets I go by my strict rules, if it is too noisy I walk on, if it comes in solid I dug them every time no matter what area that knob is pointing to.
I have dug small, thin tiny silver chains in iron this way, gold rings from foil on up to the zinc area at 3:00, waded into the most extreme trash infested sites you can imagine and dug relatively little trash while still coming out of those sites with a surprising amount of great treasure by just thumbing that knob and digging the solid sounding targets as I thumb back down.
I also got very fast at doing this over the years, just about as fast as swinging a screen unit over a target and looking at that screen.
It took a long time to learn to do this effectively and efficiently, I don't believe shiny newbies can do it to this degree until they get a whole lot of hours in listening to signals but with work anyone can do this if they chose to eventually.
Also I dug a train car load of trash for a long time before I got confident enough to leave noisier targets in the ground and just go after the higher percentage solid ones but eventually I got there.
Can I miss something doing it this way...sure.
Do I care...no, I am pretty good at this method after several thousands of hours with my Tesoros and what I don't know I miss doesn't bother me especially since I have the attitude I will find anything good I missed...eventually.
Now all of this is regarding normal depth targets, 98% of everything I have ever found has been no deeper than 5-6".
On super deep targets things may be way different.

So whether you just dial up to the fade out point or take the extra step and go past and come down that disc knob movement and the sound and behavior of targets as you manipulate that knob while swinging over them can tell you a ton once you learn the Tesoro language.
Every model is far from just being a beep and dig like many think...but we Tesoro guys already knew that.

New sites I use my MX5 with tone/visual ID- which I found to be pretty close to a Compàdre with disc set to just reject iron nails. If I get lots of keepers, next trip it's the Compadre set at the I/r in iron - no thumbing. It's more time consuming and my thin screwdriver can even tell the probable identity of the target by "feel and sound". Scrapy tinny sound or solid sound when probed, etc. Don't know why, but the Compadre "sounds" different on some good targets and I often wonder how I missed some the first go around. I don't "play around" with such a detector- I use another quality detector to scope out a location and the Compadre to clean up.

I read on another thread that if you don't pay to go to a bootcamp to learn your detector then you have never really learned it. So now I feel that I have wasted all my time since 1993 and really never learned any of the detectors I owned and left tons in the ground. So now I am going to sign up for any bootcamp I can so I can have peace of mind I will know how to use my detectors. Anyone want to hold a Compadre bootcamp to show me where to set that one knob for best results?

On my Tesoros I set em and forget em unless I'm Cherry picking.

Disc just at or slightly above Iron, Sens as high as chatter will allow and threshold midrange. Ground balance if so equipped.

I hunt with these settings the rest of the day, single tone audio tells me if the target is worth digging. Will Tesoros pick up silver/high conductors in Iron?? Yes.

I also don't use pinpoint, Tesoros are sensitive enough and fast enough that you don't have to.

Maybe that's why the Mojave has no pinpoint?. Just X the target real quick and dig. You'll be 3 holes down the road with a few goodies in the pouch before your VDI buddies know you're gone.:lol:

My Etraq?? it's a heavy silver magnet in modern trash situations with enough programs and buttons to satisfy even the most serious techno diehards But...if I want to save time, money, and produce finds? Tesoro hands down

Last edited:
I use the "eye spot" method I perfected years ago to pinpoint. Most scan the x'ing method to pinpoint. I sweep east/west one or two sweeps with the coil raised until I find the strongest signal. What about north/south? Well, the Tesoros are so fast that when I hear that beep east/west, I merely freeze my gaze on the spot on that line where the beep occurs! So, if you follow what I'm saying, it really only takes a couple of sweeps to pinpoint!:cool:

Bootcamp?? just the name gives me the jitters, When I was a kid my Dad introduced me to "Bootcamp"...the one on the end of his foot if I didn't do what I was told so even today I avoid "Bootcamps" if at all possible:wow:

Do this test. Take a beaver tail pull tab with the tail still attached and a gold ring and lay both on the ground about foot about and then thumb the discrimination knob to the exact point where each discriminate in and out. You will notice that the discrimination point where the gold ring discriminates in and out will be narrow and there be little to no popping and cracking of the audio response on either side of its narrow discrimination point.

On the other hand, the discrimination point on a beaver tail pull tab will be wider and there will be popping and cracking in the audio response in that wider discrimination range. In other words, a gold ring will discriminate in and out cleanly and a beaver tail pull tab won't.

Just for practice, layout some small pieces of cardboard on the ground and have someone put beaver tail pull tabs under some and gold rings under the rest without you knowing which ones are which. Then do your thumbing. I'm certain that I can get a pretty high score picking out the gold rings from the tabs.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom