Mojave Monday...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
That's what I am going to call it if mine actually gets here next week in three days...Mojave Monday.
Had a chance to talk to Allan Cannon yesterday about getting a new pole-lock cam for my Vaq which of course he said he would send me one for free, I expected nothing less.
Seems to be a very nice guy and we had a nice talk before I let him go.
I also laughed every time he said the words, "pole-lock".
While I had him I asked about the Mojave and he told me a few things.
He is a big fan of the 7" coil, seems to be a great size for all around hunting and he was surprised when they went from the old 7" Compadre coil to the 5.75"
He thought they were nuts when they did that but overall for hunting in heavy trash it seemed to be a good decision.
I said I suspected though experience the old 7" coil had the wires moved in from the edges a bit so in essence it was really close to the 5.75" in actuality.
He said that sounds about right, but he also said this new 7" coil has more coils placed further out nearer to the edge so a true 7" coil.
He said also in decent soil the 8" coil should get a little deeper in his opinion.
Other things we talked about were changing coils, there could be a GB issue when doing this, putting on a DD coil will probably throw the thing pretty far out of whack he believes.
I said I am so anal about using and learning my detectors it is going to be a long time before I even consider changing coils, I am not going to be about depth with this thing but all about unmasking in my mineralized iron infested dirt so the standard coil is going to be fine for me for the foreseeable future.

Then we talked about adjusting/modding this thing by turning up the sense like many do on the Compadre.
He said he is not sure this is possible to do on this one since it is not a Compadre at all, a whole new model that is full of digital components but I will let Sven or someone more technical address if that can be done on this one.
Not that I am going to try but adjusting the sense and even the GB on mine in my environment, high/low mineralized soil switch notwithstanding, might be something I could consider somewhere down the road...but way down the road if I even think it would help.

This was surprising...he told me the gain is set nowhere near max on this thing, it could probably go even deeper by at least an inch or more than it does now in many kinds of soils if they adjusted it higher and they almost did.
As a matter of fact there were some pretty heated opinions and arguments in some early meetings about how hot they should actually set these things before they manufactured and released them but they decided they wanted quiet operation in most common situations over any extra gain on depth so gain settings are set at a specific lower level for this reason.
I have read the depth on this thing already seems to be pretty good in many kinds of conditions and soils...interesting to think there might be more top end available but I am sure the tweakers and modders out there will push it to its limits someday if it is possible.

So next week I will have mine, I don't really need it because I have my beloved Compadre but I ended up with one so it will be interesting to see how it compares and performs in my devil dirt.
Where I live and hunt is weird, not like any other places I have experienced at all with not only my red dirt mineralization that limits depth on all detectors except PI's but so much extra iron from micro to minute to huge.
Here it is all about unmasking, there is tons to be found that is not much more than 4-6" deep that has been missed for decades, a shocking amount actually, that is there for the taking if we can figure out and break the masking code.
Can this Mojave do it, can it work even just a bit better than my Compadre at this task and get even a little deeper when doing it?
Still remains to be seen but it sure will be fun finding out.
I will probably write a few words on my experiences because, well...that is just what I am compelled to do.
Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom