AT Pro Question

robb5215

I had ask this before and got ideas about ground balancing, but today was first time out since, and I have the same problem. No depth.I live in WV and have high minerals I guess. Machine is great at finding coins, especially clad dimes at 2 inches or less but nothing deeper. used my old white eagle I have had since 1995 and scored a large cent and a couple wheat pennies at 3-4 inches in same location. Surely AT Pro can do better, it has to be me. Help please!

What number are you ground balancing at? I was balancing in the high 80s and a dime at about 5 inches was max in my soil with the stock coil. ! could get an extra inch or so with a storm coil and 2 numbers under actual GB. High mineral content can really hinder depth of some machines.

AT Pro

Ground Balance was high 80s. I backed it off a few to low 80s but didn't help as far as I could tell. I know it has to be me. The more modern machines have so much hi tech options has to be better than my 90s white eagle 1.

Tough soil in my area too. I was lucky if I got 5" with my AT Pro, mostly 2-3 inches. I went to Etrac and that FBS cuts through the soil. I regularly dig 5,6,7" coins and have dug a few 8-10"+. Night and day difference

You might try air testing. If it's only getting a couple inches then something is wrong but if it's air testing fine then it's probably not able to get through the bad soil.

Have you guys with the "difficult soil" ever created a test bed?

Random hunting the wild might not be the best way to grade a machine and coil.

Sometimes there just aren't any deeper targets in an area that you're working.

Hmm, I would think "Random hunting the wild" would be a far better overall test than what a static test bed could ever give you. I.E., I can take my detector with me anywhere I go, but I can't take a test bed with me. But I don't have a dog in this fight so...

I had ask this before and got ideas about ground balancing, but today was first time out since, and I have the same problem. No depth.I live in WV and have high minerals I guess. Machine is great at finding coins, especially clad dimes at 2 inches or less but nothing deeper. used my old white eagle I have had since 1995 and scored a large cent and a couple wheat pennies at 3-4 inches in same location. Surely AT Pro can do better, it has to be me. Help please!

I have never owned or ran At Pro.
But do air test,,,and then find a you tube video where a few folks show how theirs do.

See how yours compares.

Also,,do you have a magnet??
Go to where you think you had problems with your detector.
Did a hole about 4" deep and put a clean magnet in there and sweep around a bit in bottom of hole.
Remove magnet,,,any dirt stick to it.
If it's easily visible that some did,,,this tells you you have high minerals.

And if this is indeed the case,,expect lower depth capabilities with your detector,,and others as well.

Here's a thread,,,HOT ground,,notice the magnet.
And associated comments with detector depth.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,81931,81931#msg-81931

Yes, I made a test bed and was shocked at the fact that the Pro struggled on some not so deep coins. Even with a storm coil a 6 inch dime was only a signal if you knew it was there. It definitely would not stop you in your tracks. I eventually realized all of the really deep coins I found were either large or in areas I was ground balanced in the 70s, not close to 90. This eventually led to my xp deus purchase. First day I got it I went straight to my 6 in. dime and it slammed it in basic 1 program. the rest is history. My wife swings the pro now with the 5x8 (the light coil).

Back
Top Bottom