Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 AM
Elite Member

Question seti@home...

hi,

i just installed seti@home bionic application that crunches seti data in the background using spare cycles on my computer. it is realy cool! it also kicks in a screen saver too. (seti@home helps look for alien signals from outer space)

does anyone want to start a 'team' to do this? we can start a metal detector 'team' where we compeat to contribute more cycles to the project than other teams.

i don't think there is one for metal detectors. we can start one.

here is the link...
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/index.php

Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

I ran something similar to this at the turn of the century that was from Oxford University. I donít remember the exact name, maybe Computational Chemistry? But, it searched for cures to smallpox, anthrax, and cancer; after the project was completed, it changed to World Community Grid, and I ran that for awhile. It used to slow down my old Pentium l 350 MHz even running in the background; I guess it used more ram than my computer could spare.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Elite Member

yeah this one is crashing now because of an error in the microsoft runtime library. typical of microsoft stuff.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

Seems kinda neat. When I was in High School I was part of a pilot program called Computers in Space, where from our classrooms in Connecticut, we could control the 'scopes in Berkley, CA so we could calculate sizes and distances of celesital objects. Was pretty neat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US Army - OIF/OEF Vet

Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by sectshun8 View post
Seems kinda neat. When I was in High School I was part of a pilot program called Computers in Space, where from our classrooms in Connecticut, we could control the 'scopes in Berkley, CA so we could calculate sizes and distances of celesital objects. Was pretty neat.
yeah seti@home is neat programme. and i did send the error report to m****s**t. perhaps they will fix it soon. berkely has the number one computer science program in the country plus the error message clearly states it is a m****s**t pro'lem.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

I think BeerDoodle is a perfect candidate for this! He seems like he is in outer space all the time.