10K found and returned, but it was the "wrong" item, lol!

007tallguy

Elite Member
off work this week (vaca) and the weather is looking great for some huntin'. i was supposed head out yesterday to do a ring search, but the rain we had cancelled that outing. :roll:
long story short, my supervisors' wife lost a small 10K ring about 5 or 6 years ago and i told them i'd give it a try and see if i could locate it for her.
i was swinging the At Pro around their lawn for over an hour this morning, iron notched up to 35, medium sensitivity, was hitting little bits of foil, aluminum, a pulltab and other little scraps of various metals.
i got a nice solid 41 hit showing 4-6 inches deep. well, the number was right for smaller gold so a diggin' i went expecting yet another chunk of foil.
i cut my plug and low and behold, i see something gold colored in the hole! looking closer, i'm thinking this is her ring, but..... the lawn mower must have done a job on it, it appeared to be really bent up. :( don't get me wrong, i'm glad i found it, but i was very disappointed in its' condition.

i cleaned some dirt off of it and i saw that it wasn't a ring at all, it was a gold pendant! i could now clearly see a mother holding a child image on it and thought to myself, this is a really cool find! :D
a short time later, i'm close to calling it a day and she came out to see if i was having any luck or "is it a lost cause?"
sadly, i tell her no ring, but i chuckled a bit and asked if would she settle for a gold pendant instead, lol.
she said: "Not a mother/child pendant???"
i said how'd you know? and as i removed it from my pocket, she literally LOST it!!! "oh my GOD!!!!" (and some other colorful metaphors of joy that i can't add here, lol) :p :lol:

it turns out this pendant was lost about 20 years ago and she had no idea where she lost it but she was sure she didn't lose right there in her own yard. :shock:
by this time, she's on the brink of tears and tells me that little pendant meant so much more to her than the ring did. so much so, that she didn't even mention losing it to her husband... until today now that she has it back. :roll: he had never asked her why she had stopped wearing it and chose to wear others instead.
so, a very successful return, but the wrong item found and returned. it just goes to show that you never know with this hobby. ;)

on a side note, she happened to be making a HUGE roasting pan FULL of cabbage rolls and when i left, i definitely had some supper with me. :D (and wow, were those ever good!!!)
sorry, no pics of her wearing the pendant. that wouldn't have been very appropriate, lol.
thanks for looking,

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0600.jpg
    IMAG0600.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMAG0602.jpg
    IMAG0602.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMAG0603.jpg
    IMAG0603.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 487
Awesome story and WTG on the return! You rock :D

thanks! :D
and to add another little part to this story, today i head back to their place after their 2 grandsons are home from school and give them a little demo on metal detecting, lol. they're 7 and 9, so this should be fun. ;) i guess it's all they talk about and they want to see a real metal detector in action as opposed to just seeing it on TV, ha. :D

great story, gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling.:cool:

thanks all! when she first saw it, the look on her face was absolutely priceless! and yup, i hear ya about that great feeling you get when you can reunite an item such as this one with it's owner. :D

Great post and return story Pete!!

thank you!

That's a beautiful pendant....I can see why see felt so emotional about it.
HDD

i "think" her daughter bought for her for Mothers' Day when the daughter was only about 9 or 10 years old. it was only a few short months later when it was lost. actually, the daughter only found out about the loss yesterday after it was found. and i guess she reacted the same as her mum, "OMG!", lol. and then the "you lost it? 20 YEARS ago..???"
they're all happy now, so that's the main thing. :cool:

That is why I love this hobby so much. There is a lot more than just monetary reward. There is no greater feeling than returning something of sentimental value.

What a great story! At first I thought it was a crushed ring too - kinda looks like it from the side. Nice job. :D

A FRIKIN 41!?!?!?! Great save! I hate that I don't dig those!?!?! It's never small gold when I do! Lol.

Great save though.

A FRIKIN 41!?!?!?! Great save! I hate that I don't dig those!?!?! It's never small gold when I do! Lol.

Great save though.

yessir, it hit at a solid 41! almost everything i've ever dug at that number has been foil. i was at a beach this summer, got a 41 signal, dug it and it was a small 14K ring! both of these items were yellow gold and small. on the flip side, i've found a couple of larger 14K white gold targets hitting at 51.
i guess that's why on many detectors, they show a very broad range where gold can show up the machine, lol.
but yeah, did those trashy signals too, eventually it's going to be something good! :yes:

thanks for the great comments guys! :hi5:

Pete

Well done! Someone else isn't probably appreciating that cabbage you ate about now though:lol:

Back
Top Bottom