Button Identification

Jodo_Kast501

This button was found in the yard of a house built in 1893. I don't know much about buttons, but it is a two-piece button and the back reads "Waterbury Button Co.", which from what I've read places it in the very broad range of 1849–1965.
In addition to the large "22" in the middle, there is some writing on the surface. Above the numbers, there some writing I can't completely read. I can't make out the first letter, but the later ones say "efenham" or "efendam" and then "N.C." below. Any help identifying this is greatly appreciated!

NtKkZVyl.jpg

FXrpOmXl.jpg

I should have read what you wrote. Let me hit the books again.

OK, I found your button. It is a New York button. 52A in Albert's book says "22nd Regiment device on a lined field. Scovill Mfg Co/Waterbury" RV1. I think we need to recheck your backmark. I have a hunch it is post war.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but, it looks Fire Department related to me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

NYS National Guard 22nd Regiment

It says

DEFENDAM N.G.S.N.Y

Post a good pic of the back there are multiple variations of a Waterbury Button Co backmark that can narrow down the age.

Duggap - I think it may be 52B "without rosette below" but I can't 100% tell from the pic if there is anything in the area below the N.G.

Last edited:
Many thanks to all for the ID! Here is an image of the back. Any clarification on the date would be appreciated as well.

JwHXYH4l.jpg

NYS National Guard 22nd Regiment

It says

DEFENDAM N.G.S.N.Y

Post a good pic of the back there are multiple variations of a Waterbury Button Co backmark that can narrow down the age.

Duggap - I think it may be 52B "without rosette below" but I can't 100% tell from the pic if there is anything in the area below the N.G.

I finally found my magnifying glass and I agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom