• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Broken sampson

dirt dick

Elite Member
:shock:
I broke my Sampson shovel last weekend.
So instead of being with out this ultimate digger, by sending back for replacement.
I fixed it with the wire-feed welder.
why at the factory they don't re-enforce the curved part where the shaft meets the spade,:?:
post pictures tomorrow........
expecting a crappy 6-8 inches of snow,
that is to fall here in North Ia. :mad:

:shock:
I broke my Sampson shovel last weekend.
So instead of being with out this ultimate digger, by sending back for replacement.
I fixed it with the wire-feed welder.
why at the factory they don't re-enforce the curved part where the shaft meets the spade,:?:
post pictures tomorrow........
expecting a crappy 6-8 inches of snow,
that is to fall here in North Ia. :mad:
How did that go I have one cheap shovel starting to break

I was hunting watching another detector digging for a deep coin. I don't remember just what shovel he was using but it was one of the better ones. He had it pushed all of the way into the ground and was pulling back on the handle as hard as he could. I had just asked a friend how he could do that without breaking it when we heard a loud snap. We turned to see him sitting on the ground holding the handle. With a little more care it wouldn't have broken. He just got in a hurry.

That's a weak link there. They do indeed need to reinforce similar to the reinforcement on the Ground Shark shovels. Most of my friends using the Sampsons here in Texas dirt have bent theirs. One guy welded a reinforcement himself.

Yeah at the end of last year,(my last hunt Dec.20th )
I was digging in semi-frozen ground, which I did find a barber dime and barber quarter!
While digging I heard that, in mistakable sound, of cracking/snapping metal.
It didn't break clean through. But enough was enough.
So during the "off season" I had TAC welded the crack.
But last weekend with 12 hunts in this year the Sampson broke.
Here's the new improved shovel .....
17bb9bfa6d5578daa5f452153b4c9ee9.jpg
469d07ce47a74a86197aa510ce291a70.jpg
87e33a7b321f7e1c164c3c551e1de208.jpg
49adc0739b374bd2a818ddcb0e20ec2f.jpg

Hope the photos you can make out, hope that anyone else that might have had the same problems may be able to use this to help....[emoji106]

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I've been contemplating something like this, as I've bent (and straightened) my Sampson numerous times. That curved connector is definitely the weak link. I know my repeated bending/straightening has only weakened it further and you just KNOW it will break at the absolute worst time!

I have one serrated and one non serrated Sampson and they are both bent. Right where yours broke.

G2M

Some people are really hard on equipment! :laughing::laughing:

Its a Badge of Honor to bust your primary digger from metal fatigue...It does shut a guy down without a backup though...few years back, I snapped off my screwdriver simply reaming around in heavy clay for clad, I wasnt prying with it either, just trying to ream out a vertical hole above the coin...I didnt have a backup in the car...I diddled around using tent stakes and whatever junk I thought might work..then gave up and went and bought another...actually two...just in case...a guy gets really attached to their primary digger...the water hunters have all busted scoops, so this just comes with the territory...
Mud

Attachments

• broke.jpg
    broke.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 221
Back
Top Bottom