Lesche handle dimensions

mikeybonez28

Im fixing to make a Lesche from hell. 4" wide, 9" to the tip, scalloped serrations on both sides but Im not sure about the handle. I was going to use 1" steel tubing so I can push a grip over it but Im not sure what wall thickness to go with. I dont want a flimsy handle but I also dont need an overly heavy handle

Anyone with a lesche & calipers would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

BMX bike grip fits it tight, have to use compressed air in the vent hole to get it on. I think it is 3/4 but not taking the grip off to measure.

The outside diameter isn't the problem, I just want to know how thick the handle material is. My prototype is going to have a screw on handle but I'd rather have a fully welded tube rather than a repurposed angle grinder side handle

Ideally I want a tough as nails digger that doesn't cost much & if there's some interest, turn it into some pocket change. If I can post photos from my phone I'll upload what I have now in a few, criticism is appreciated

0562efb166421ea8bef8fbb35c0702d2.jpg

11359f013592dd170752841bf777e20c.jpg

b9efdb9604744bbaa1b68a18a8a2b495.jpg

Scalloped serrations 1/2 apart, sharpened all around, welds need to be refined & i need a handle

Still has the dykem blue on there, probably going to paint it once its done, i have plenty of rattle cans at work. I dont know if you can tell from the pics but the bend wasnt perfectly centered, i just eyeballed this one

Come on, whats wrong with that? At this point, its moot because its already made but still

Hardy har har, no I'm not going to get mad or go cry in a corner, I'm just going to out dig a Lesche when I'm done, at least I hope it will.

Guess I'm just going to have to get some DOM tubing & see how it holds up seeing as how no one with a Lesche can measure the thickness of the handle tubing

Hardy har har, no I'm not going to get mad or go cry in a corner, I'm just going to out dig a Lesche when I'm done, at least I hope it will.

Guess I'm just going to have to get some DOM tubing & see how it holds up seeing as how no one with a Lesche can measure the thickness of the handle tubing

Sorry I don't use a lesche, I use a sampson or kellycos original gator digger as it is more shovel like than the lesche.

Hope you get yours ironed out, imo it wouldn't be too hard to out dig a lesche in my area due to the rocky soil, but I hope you end up with a beast that does everything you need it to do! Looks great so far!

Maybe if you cut a bicycle handlebar down to make the handle you wont have to guess the size, you can just get a fancy Grip handle like others have done in the past :)

That was the original plan but alot of bars are aluminum & you cant weld it onto a steel base. I also saw someone's monster lesche using a bmx peg for the handle but i think the dom would be cheaper & easier to get in quantity

That was the original plan but alot of bars are aluminum & you cant weld it onto a steel base. I also saw someone's monster lesche using a bmx peg for the handle but i think the dom would be cheaper & easier to get in quantity

Be sure to share the final build, sounds like you have a good plan

I planned on it, once i get a decent looking handle on it, literally. I was thinking of using the inner tube from a shock or strut, got plenty at work, but they might be too thin. That or exhaust pipe but i dont have any 1" and what i do have is too big

The wall thickness is rather thin. I did not measure it but do recall noting how thin it was. I would say from memory 1/16 or so, no more than 3/32

Now im in business. .110 for a shovel sounds right if i put a long handle on it but 1/16 should be good for a hand digger. I might make a shovel as well, same design just increase the dimensions

Looks great! Fantastic job on the serrations!

My only critique would be on that web. Lots of opportunity to get crud stuck in there. Minor issue, but it will be an annoyance, over time, unless you don't have a low threshold for annoying things (like I do). :D

Are you heat treating the blade?

I could get you some dimensions with a calipers on a predator shovel. Would be this weekend though. My old man has the calipers at his house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! Fantastic job on the serrations!

My only critique would be on that web. Lots of opportunity to get crud stuck in there. Minor issue, but it will be an annoyance, over time, unless you don't have a low threshold for annoying things (like I do). :D

Are you heat treating the blade?
I added that in to give it more rigidity so its less likely to bend in tough conditions but it could be eliminated.

As far as heat treating goes, Im using a low carbon steel and heat treating wont do much. If i was using 1095 or 1086 i could heat treat it but i dont have a forge or even a OA torch. Either way it should be stronger than the modified walmart digger Im using now

Ok so my input for you is that is way to wide for a hand digger. I use a lesche and even the thin blade can be tough in hard or dry soil. And the end of it isn't pointed enough so again pushing into the dirt will be tough. Just giving my opinion so take it or leave it no hard feelings.

Back
Top Bottom