Anyone make hip mount and straight shaft for excal?

jtb2017

Elite Member
I got a new excal II. And boy is that thing a tough swing to say the least.

I was thinking of making my own straight shaft. I am not paying 100+ for one. Also.

I was thinking of constructing a home made hip-mount. Despite potential problems from hip-mounting, I just might do it. Thats another thing I am not coughing up 50 bucks for.

Anyway. Thanks for tips an advice. HH -Joe

Well let me know how this works out cause I am looking for a straight shaft as well for cheap! Good Luck!

I built one a while back and love it! It's not too hard to do on your own. The water wand fits the excal lower shaft quite well. Good luck if you build one. I was thinking about doing a step by step but haven't gotten to it yet.

They are easy to make. 7/8 inch aluminum tubing, copy the dimensions off the ones for sale on the internet and you're ready to go.
Bike handle bar climbing grips Wal-Mart, two for $6.50. I had to go to 3 Walmarts before I found them
Foam Grip covers, ebay, two for $2.00
Shaft lock, Plugger straight shafts, $11.00 including shipping.
Use your own lower shaft.

That's all you needs plus a 1/4 inch drill bit and a couple of 1/4 in X 1 1/2 in nylon bolts from Home depot or Lowe's

Chuck

Wow, wouldn't it be cool to see just how cheap you can make a "Good" straight shaft for. Like a cheap scroungers contest. It should be paid for with clad. I have already been beaten.

I found a hip mount on Ebay for $20 and change. I added a ziptie for stress relief of the cord (the connection wears out if you don't).

Used it about 60 hours during a week of vacation and never felt tired from swinging. (Though the scoop is a workout).

they also make carbon fiber shafts

many excal. accessories and other brands
http://www.andersondetectorshafts.com/products/metal-detector-shafts/minelab/

Regarding carbon fiber shafts... I was actually just wondering if anyone had tried that... Carbon fiber tubing is actually fairly low cost if you know where to look... I'm definitely going to make my own. Does anyone know if someone has tried making a composite sand scoop? Kevlar is really abrasion resistant and coupled with a carbon fiber shaft would probably make an awesome tool

Just go buy your own scoop from a dealer, like RTG [you cant go wrong there] or sunspot or pro scoop. HH -Joe

Being as how you are gonna dive...you in for a fun time on target recovery as it is. BTW. You may not think its been done before...but I would not be surprised if its been hit. Hobby becoming popular. HH.

***I think I am gonna do this.

I found pluggers shafts. I am gonna just go with him. He makes great shafts and they are reasonably prices.

Regarding carbon fiber shafts... I was actually just wondering if anyone had tried that... Carbon fiber tubing is actually fairly low cost if you know where to look... I'm definitely going to make my own. Does anyone know if someone has tried making a composite sand scoop? Kevlar is really abrasion resistant and coupled with a carbon fiber shaft would probably make an awesome tool

The Excal II weights 6.1 Pounds it's heavy to say the least, most beach hunts are 6 hours or more, with that said

I would look into a hip mount with some kind of cable restraint system. Plugger sells them and they work great, and you can swing all day now.

Your over $1000 into your system, whats a extra $35 bucks, especially if it makes you more comfortable

Good luck

PS...... I have hunting buddy's that spent $100's on straight shafts and still complained about the weight

Plugger strait shaft

i run the plugger strait shafts on my Excaliburs,i have two extra wright now,a two piece excalibur shaft 80 bucks shipped,and a three piece travel 100 bucks shipped,i will tell you this making a strait shaft would be extreamly hard due to the mounting of the Excalibur, battery,precise hole drilling,save yourself time ,trouble,and money,earl

Attachments

• P1000012.JPG
    P1000012.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,223
Thanks for offer. I ordered one already. Thats ok though. Man you got a lotta machines...lol. You musta cleaned house some where to pay for em. I am hoping I find something big this season...my first with excal II. HH an thanks again. -Joe

i run the plugger strait shafts on my Excaliburs,i have two extra wright now,a two piece excalibur shaft 80 bucks shipped,and a three piece travel 100 bucks shipped,i will tell you this making a strait shaft would be extreamly hard due to the mounting of the Excalibur, battery,precise hole drilling,save yourself time ,trouble,and money,earl

WOW Surf master that's some collection there,

the old blue Excal with the heavy tornado coil in the lower part of your picture

Some say there better than the newer Excal II

Black Bart Excalibur

Hooked up a couple excaliburs this winter, both carbon fiber shaft...EMI shielding, remote Pp's, New skins .etc. Pic's of one...Both shaft's, 2 white's tallman lower rods from Kellyco, about 140 for all...not cheap but very lite.

Attachments

• SNAG-0019.jpg
    SNAG-0019.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 894
  • SNAG-0020.jpg
    SNAG-0020.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 866
Jb Pm

JB i didn't see a way to post a pick on the Pm so i posted both strait shafts on the classified,you got 1st dibbs, if you want 1 of the 2,i am keeping the 1 you dont want Earl-- Pm me back ,:lol:if you get 1 you can throw in a week free at Ft L :yes:for hunting :D

Back
Top Bottom