Question for all the curbside hunters from a noob

shootinxs

Millersville, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Sorry for the dumb question as I'm relatively new to the hobby. So far I've only really detected farm fields so I'm not too familiar with Parks, schools, and curbside hunting but I'd like to give it a try. My question is this......

Do you guys specifically target just coins and discriminate against all iron? I would think your detector would go nuts around sidewalks or any concrete for that matter considering all the rebar that is in them.

A lot of sidewalks don’t have rebar but I don’t hunt curb strips because I don’t want to deal with people fussing that your digging on their yards when it’s city property. Door knocking is the best way to find the goods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
yes. If I'm hunting old-town curb-strips, I'm cherry picking. Thus, yes, kiss nails, foil, (and even tabs) goodbye. I'm usually checking for older silver. Thus yes: Kiss old nickels and gold rings goodbye also.

I figure that if I was all "hot and bothered" to find gold rings, then why (oh why oh why oh why) would I be hunting old-town urban parking strips in the first place ? :?: If that is someone's objective, their time is better spent going to where ratios are better spent, in the first place: Swim beaches. Not junky blighted parks, parking strips, etc....

I hunt a lot of parks. I tend to focus on high conductor targets (penny range and above) and nickel signals. Which means that I miss a lot of nails and other small iron, but dig a fair number of pull tabs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCToad and myself have recently started hitting curb strips for the first time. They are very noisy in places, and not so bad in other areas. I hunt them just like anywhere else that I hunt. This equals a lot of trash, but pays off at the same time. I dug the only gold ring I have ever dug out of a curb strip. I would have put money on it being a can tab too.

I have yet to hit silver on any, but Toad has smoked the silver detecting them.

I do agree with CW though on his earlier post. Door knocking, and private permissions are the best hunting areas.

Tried it twice, never again. First time, someone almost ran me over. Second time, 2 teenagers in a car intentionally swerved towards me while screaming "NERRRRRRD" :laughing: I thought the Nerd comment was pretty funny, like that Simpsons episode. Two teens driving right towards me...not so funny. To answer the question, I did cherry pick tones but just b/c I was more focused on not being hit by a car than detecting.

Hunt the curb strips just like any other piece of real estate. Rebar can be a pain but you get as close as you can. Having a smaller coil does help in this matter. Trapper

Here's what I've done with sidewalks and patios with rebar:

-DD coil, smaller preferably, is going to be best choice for right up against concrete.
-Turn down sensitivity....you don't need to be on full blast to get high conductor coins at under a few inches.
-Discriminate out all iron. Iron audio off if possible.
-Silence/Notch out the mid conductors if possible, but that's only if you are ok with skipping gold and nickels.
-Scan two directions. 1. Stand on the sidewalk and scan with the heel parallel to the concrete. 2. Straddle the grass and sidewalk and scan over the grass up to the edge of the sidewalk.
-If the rebar is close to the edge of the concrete it is still going to bounce into the high conductor range. Deal with it by paying attention to audio patterns/spacing and focusing on anything that doesn't fit that pattern.

Not all sidewalks or concrete has rebar in it, but if they do, then yes, your detector "goes nuts". I tend to dig more than just coin signals, and often find interesting stuff in curbstrips. Rebar sidewalks force me to turn down the sensitivity, and/or use a smaller coil, and I still lose a few inches of dirt, along the edge of the sidewalk. You do the best you can, is all.
You don't have to discriminate the iron out, but you don't have to dig it up, either.

I haven't come across a footpath (sidewalk) with rebar. Rebar is mostly used for larger constructions (house foundations etc) where stability is vital.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but in Australia the early footpaths were made of concrete slabs/pavers (depending on the size of the footpath about 2 slabs/pavers across). A lot of these have been replaced with poured concrete, so I always get excited when I come across an area that has the original slabs/pavers.

Same goes for the border that separates the curb strip and road. The early (original) borders were square and quite coarse gravel (you can easily see the gravel). Many of these old borders have been replaced by newer ones which are smooth (can't see any gravel), taller and usually have a slant.

Back
Top Bottom