Old home site

normx2

Elite Member
Got a break in the cold weather yesterday and got out to one of my old homesite permissions with the Deus and found a few keepers.

1. 1938 dog tag
2. 1936 dog tag
3. Ornate gas valve
4. Lipstick tube
5. 2 Sharps and 4 pistol bullets
6. Baseball hat silver charm
7. Silver spoon
8. Silver carousel horse earring
9. Spur part (very small)
10. Button ( 2 people on bench)
11. Silver dice charm

The spoon, gas valve, and lipstick tube was typical cruddy so though I'd clean them up. Fanciest gas valve I've found yet and the spoon came out like new with a script F on the handle. The spur part is the smallest I've found.

Last edited:
Really nice assortment. Did all of those items signal in the higher gold/silver range, or were you digging iron signals too?

Really nice assortment. Did all of those items signal in the higher gold/silver range, or were you digging iron signals too?

I'm using Calabash's pitch program on the Deus and it's working really well. Low tone for Iron and high tone for everything else, I dig every clean high tone and don't pay much attention to the numbers.

The Deus's forte is iron separation and depth and it does that well.

You dug up some nice finds there.Looks like you will have to go back.:yes:

That IS one fancy gas valve!:lol: That had to be on a high end something...that’s a lot of effort to gussy up the gas!
Seems like a keeper site. You’re right,conductive trash is the enemy,it’s alot easier to hunt in “iron+everything else” as opposed to “coins+everything else that sounds like coins”.

That IS one fancy gas valve!:lol: That had to be on a high end something...that’s a lot of effort to gussy up the gas!
Seems like a keeper site. You’re right,conductive trash is the enemy,it’s alot easier to hunt in “iron+everything else” as opposed to “coins+everything else that sounds like coins”.

You're absolutely right about conductive trash infestation, the bane of all of us that try to sort out a good target from a thousand "good" signals.

I admire those that can endure trashy parks and persist to find a keeper. I'm not sure I could match the many folks that hang in there sorting it all out, but they do to their credit and they do find good stuff.

In the spring I roam the woods looking for Easter Lillies that tell me there was an old home place there long gone. Nothing left but maybe a few bricks and a ton of Iron.

Combined with a lot of research these places are usually productive and some of them I've hunted for years.

While I focus on Civil War I avoid known Battle sites and other such areas.

The one's that survived the war came back home and often brought hard reminders of those Battles with them and many of those artifacts remain on these old homesites today.

One of the best things I've found is that the more time you spend on research?? the less time it takes to find a keeper in the field.:D

The “research” thing(location and what was there/happened there) is most critical without a doubt. If it shouldn’t be there or has no reason to be there,it most likely ISNT there. COULD it be there? Anything CAN be anywhere as we know. Narrowing it down and knowing the signs produces a picture like above. Results do NOT lie!
BTW...that spoon is really growing on me...:grin:

The “research” thing(location and what was there/happened there) is most critical without a doubt. If it shouldn’t be there or has no reason to be there,it most likely ISNT there. COULD it be there? Anything CAN be anywhere as we know. Narrowing it down and knowing the signs produces a picture like above. Results do NOT lie!
BTW...that spoon is really growing on me...:grin:

The one and only Silver spoon I've ever found, got a box full of common spoons though:grin:

Not much Silver

What a great hunt. Love these old home sites because all the trinkets you get out of them. Well done. No coins though?

Very few coins on these old homesites I hunt.

Even on the site where I found my Quarter Eagle I found NO silver. A few Indians but that was it. I often think about how serious it must have been that someone lost an 1856 $2.50 dollar Gold coin.

I wonder too how long they looked for it or tried to figure out where it might be? Back in those days as an example if someone needed a well dug by hand the typical charge was 10 cents per foot for someone to dig it using shovel and pick.

People in Arkansas had little money to use and none to lose in the mid 1800's so I wouldn't be surprised that descendants of the person that lost the Eagle are still looking for it!

Old wagon roads hidden somewhere deep in the woods with ruts sometimes 12 feet deep in places are what I focus on. Though few and far between, there were houses on these roads long gone so I locate those and spend most of my time hunting such sites.

My reward is recovering relics from a historical perspective of time gone past rather than from a monetary or "value" position.

Some things I donate to our local museum for display when their purpose relates to local culture and can be identified and viewed by folks that understand the part it played back in the day.

I ramble, but this is what the hobby means to me and it's why I do it, why I enjoy it, and why I intend to keep it up. Silver coins?? they're good too.

Last edited:
Very few coins on these old homesites I hunt.

Even on the site where I found my Quarter Eagle I found NO silver. A few Indians but that was it. I often think about how serious it must have been that someone lost an 1856 $2.50 dollar Gold coin.

I wonder too how long they looked for it or tried to figure out where it might be? Back in those days as an example if someone needed a well dug by hand the typical charge was 10 cents per foot for someone to dig it using shovel and pick.

People in Arkansas had little money to use and none to lose in the mid 1800's so I wouldn't be surprised that descendants of the person that lost the Eagle are still looking for it!

Old wagon roads hidden somewhere deep in the woods with ruts sometimes 12 feet deep in places are what I focus on. Though few and far between, there were houses on these roads long gone so I locate those and spend most of my time hunting such sites.

My reward is recovering relics from a historical perspective of time gone past rather than from a monetary or "value" position.

Some things I donate to our local museum for display when their purpose relates to local culture and can be identified and viewed by folks that understand the part it played back in the day.

I ramble, but this is what the hobby means to me and it's why I do it, why I enjoy it, and why I intend to keep it up. Silver coins?? they're good too.

Well said. My friend that I learned from carries the same perspective. As a result, I carry similar values...Good for you too for donating to the local museums. Very awesome thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom