2018 In Reflection And Highlights

jack&jill

Elite Member
A lot of guys have asked about and when the season report will come. Well I hope this satisfied. First this has been a year that had some amazing highs and not to many lows. The numbers would not be here if I was still employed as the biggest difference this year than those in the past is the time spent. Another factor was the extreme support I received from this forum and those of three very good friends. AirForceMike, Dewsweeper (Brad) and IDX Monster (Kevin) played major roles in my success and I really want them to know how much it was appreciated.
Some of those highlights of 2018 include my first ever "V" Nickle in a hunt with Kevin. Digging number 300 in a hunt with both Brad and Kevin. Reaching 1000 Silver coins with a hunt with Brad. Hunts with Mike had recoveries of #1300 of my career and the being with Mike when he dug that Copper Culture Spear Point. Also got to see Mike reach 100 Silver Coins for the first time. The year also brought the "Nox" into my arsenal. It sure re-opened some hard hunted sites and put Nickles back into my life. Other major items include two Halves in one hole. (Walker & Ben). Hunts that provided my first ever Bust Coin and 3 Seated Coins in one hunt from that same site. Dug a couple Large Cents which I have not done in a few years. Then there is a Herd of Buffalo's. Other items that stand out to me are my Silver Roy Rogers Ring, The Wisconsin State Seal Button, the only Gold I dug this year a 14K Bracelet and of coarse my $5 Gold Coin that I purchased with my clad. I'm sure there are items I missed for this report. Ask and I will attempt to edit them in. Trapper
The breakdown of the 410 Silvers Coins are as follows:
155 Merc's
142 Rosie's
15 Barber's
7 Seated
1 Bust
2 Canadian's
322 total Dimes
42 Washington Quarters
5 Standers
4 Barber's
1 Seated
52 total Quarter's
25 War Nickles
4 Walker's
3 Franklin's
2 Barber's
1 Seated
1 "64" Kennedy
11 total Half Dollars

Attachments

• ytd 1.jpg
    ytd 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 449
  • total 410.jpg
    total 410.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 485
  • war n.jpg
    war n.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 471
  • buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 426
  • Halves.jpg
    Halves.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 434
  • seat d.jpg
    seat d.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 413
  • stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 408
  • bar q.jpg
    bar q.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 10-7-18 .jpg
    10-7-18 .jpg
    62 KB · Views: 415
  • 10-9-18 1.jpg
    10-9-18 1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 8-17-18 .jpg
    8-17-18 .jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 431
  • 9-2-18 2 .jpg
    9-2-18 2 .jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 3-3-18 1 .jpg
    3-3-18 1 .jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 422
  • Gold heads.jpg
    Gold heads.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 407
  • 8-2-18 4 jpg.jpg
    8-2-18 4 jpg.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 427
  • 8-2-18 5 jpg.jpg
    8-2-18 5 jpg.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Holy Lord! Youth is wasted on the Young and Silver is wasted on the Old!

Note to self: I've gotta get myself one of those all terrain Hoverrounds! :laughing:

I've anticipated this post all year. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. That pile of silver is breathtaking when you consider each being located and dug from the earth. Your experience shines through. I hope to have the fortitude, experience, and perciverence to accomplish something comparable when I retire (hopefully in 25 years or so)
Outstanding!

I've been looking at these "year end wrap ups"
and you Wisconsin fellas dug boat loads of silver. :pirates:
I may one day have to set sail to land of cheese !:sneaking: :lol:

Great recap, definitely a heck of a year.

Still just mind blowing , awesome job again Trapper

Thanks for sharing some of your highlights from the past year. It was an enjoyable read as it was to view those photos of those success. Continued success into the new year!

Sure is fun seeing it all in one place Trap! Sorry this week didn’t work the way we wanted,it’ll just have to wait til better weather...
I really hope people truly get how much work it was to accumulate that kind of pile,and how much of it came from public land. That’s the important part for the “average hunter” to look at, because even without permissions, there are still old coins out there. Someone who develops the skills on a great machine and has the time and drive COULD do this again somewhere. It’s quite unique though in today’s hunting environment...
Happy New Year to you and the clan! Now we get to start collecting again!:grin:

Sure is fun seeing it all in one place Trap! Sorry this week didn’t work the way we wanted,it’ll just have to wait til better weather...

I really hope people truly get how much work it was to accumulate that kind of pile,and how much of it came from public land. That’s the important part for the “average hunter” to look at, because even without permissions, there are still old coins out there. Someone who develops the skills on a great machine and has the time and drive COULD do this again somewhere. It’s quite unique though in today’s hunting environment...

I think your observation around “public sites” is important. Majority of his finds fell in Public Parks and just proof he is very good at what he does!! Also brings hope to other hunters. It’s important to research, buy the right machine and more importantly Learn It. Newer technology as opened up almost every park or spot I’ve been too!! Congrats to a wonderful year buddy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congradulations Trap . And Congradulations Jack n Jill as the Jill in Jacks life is
A bigger part of this picture then we hunting buddies ever were with respect to this mans silver season .
I call it a season because We get shut down for an absolute minimum of 3 to 4 months of winter. Trappers season started in April I think . I do know he and I were busting some frost in the woods and his first of 2018 was a Washington.
Like Mike and Kev mentioned we primarily hunt public grounds. 99% parks and schools. Again hunted hard but never hunted out as they say.

Trapper can be dropped anywhere with a history of pre 1964 activity and scrounge them up when others would get frustrated and move on.

He is gifted and a pleasure to be with unlike most Geniuses in a craft.
Amaizing to watch work I recommend if you ever get a chance to join him for a day you take up the opportunity.
I was very happy to be included anytime I wanted to take a ride and join. He can be working a honey hole and say heck ya get down here .
Truth be told the stuff doesn't fly out of the ground .
He is a man that if he would have needed one more silver to hit his goal any one who knows him would put him on the best dirt they have to get that last rosy for the year. Truth is he may be out of the truck and have 5 before you get geared up when he only need one 👍.

It was a great year to be a part of . Trapper non stop includes the hunting buddies around him unselfishly implying that we have something to do with his accomplishment this year . Personally I am likely more of a distraction at his side then an advantage .
But hey ... what are friends for 🙂.
There are just folks a guy likes to root for .
IDX , Airforce Mike, Trapper Jack and others like my son Bert or others who join from time to time .
Trapper always wants to know your name . He will go out of his way to remember it . You can have the coolest name on friendly like Silver slaughter or somethin and if your name is Bob he will want to know it.

An amaizing 410 silver season not counting the sterling and other great saves .
Amaizing display And wrap up Trap.

If I had that pile I would want to melt it into a brick , set it next to the fire place every night and sleep with it toasty warm by my feet all winter . 😎

Congradulations buddy and as usual looking forward to the next.
,Dew

Last edited:
That is one healthy pile of silver. Quantity and quality. Do you think you have enough ground to keep yourself busy next year? Do you think you will get to 400 again? Great finds.

Congratulations on an amazing year Trapper! You have some amazing finds to show for commitment to this hobby. I wish you continued success in 2019!

I've anticipated this post all year. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. That pile of silver is breathtaking when you consider each being located and dug from the earth. Your experience shines through. I hope to have the fortitude, experience, and perciverence to accomplish something comparable when I retire (hopefully in 25 years or so)
Outstanding!
Very kind words Tyler and they are appreciated. Thank you.
I've been looking at these "year end wrap ups"
and you Wisconsin fellas dug boat loads of silver. :pirates:
I may one day have to set sail to land of cheese !:sneaking: :lol:
There are some very fine detectionists here in the land of the Brats and Beer. They are a great bunch of guys and if you decide to sail on over, any one would welcome you. I'll fore warn you thou Dick, you still have to work to dig the Silver.
Great recap, definitely a heck of a year.

Still just mind blowing , awesome job again Trapper
Appreciate your reply Craig and the support that you have given me through out this whole year. Trapper

Thanks for sharing some of your highlights from the past year. It was an enjoyable read as it was to view those photos of those success. Continued success into the new year!
Thank you John for those very kind comments. While I do not think a repeat of this year is possible, I do think there is still some Silver out there that I need to dig.
Outstanding pics and very good recap report. HH Jerry
Appreciate your reply Jerry, thank you.
Thank you Kevin. Your right it was more than a little bit of effort and a lot of it came from public grounds. I have nothing but praise for the CTX as the machine has been remarkable for me.
Monday's storm left a layer of ice that I spent hours on chipping it off the driveway so I could get out. Would have been a lot easier if it would have been snow. We will make a day of it come spring. Trapper

Fantastic year man, you hit one heck of difficult goal! Take it easy in 2019, no need to try to top an unbeatable year!

that's a beautiful pile of silver, and a great year end write up. thanks for sharing your adventures throughout the year.

Back
Top Bottom