A Phone Call, And Its 410

jack&jill

Elite Member
I had thought my season was over for 2018 and then I got a call from AirForceMike on Thursday night he got the next day off and said lets give it another run. So Friday with temps in the high twenty's but dropping. A healthy wind with snow flakes scattered we headed to a new site only to find it totally fenced off. He said I have a back up just follow me. Well we drove to the next site and could not find parking so we went a couple blocks past that site only to stumble into a park that was not on our listings. We broke out the 3030's and started another adventure. We dug lots of clad as we searched for those deep signals. After a about a hour and a half I got a deep Wheat, then Mike did also. Ten minutes latter I dug a coin very deep and thought I had dug another LC. After a few minutes looking at it we did not know what it was so we went back to hunting. Ten Minutes later I got a nice high tone deep and out popped a old Merc, (1926) number 410 FTY. A little while later Mike digs a Merc, his is a 1929. We continue hunting but the weather was winning this battle. We were working our way back to the vehicles and Mike got a good signal. He digs the plug and out comes a golf ball, a surprise for him. Well he re scanned the hole and dug a couple of inches deeper to find his target and was blessed with a Silver GW. Silver's 101 &102 for Mike. From there the adventure ended as probably our 2018 season. Got home and cleaned the mystery coin a bit and with Jill's help it was identified as a 1944 Australian Penny. Got long winded on this hunt but is was a lot of fun and a great finish to a fantastic year. Trapper

Attachments

• 12-28-18.jpg
    12-28-18.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 12-28-18 2.jpg
    12-28-18 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 450
  • 12-29-18 1.jpg
    12-29-18 1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 446
Congrats on another silver! Man your soil is harsh, there's not much left of that penny! :laughing: Although I can just make out the kangaroo looking at it again...Wonder how it ended up in America. It would've been lost sometime before 1966 probably, because that's when Australia's currency got changed to the stuff we use now.

Congrats on another silver! Man your soil is harsh, there's not much left of that penny! :laughing: Although I can just make out the kangaroo looking at it again...Wonder how it ended up in America. It would've been lost sometime before 1966 probably, because that's when Australia's currency got changed to the stuff we use now.
Thank you Sandy for the reply. I think the coin was brought back to the states by a soldier stationed in Australia during WWII. The guy must have been a fisherman as it was dug close to the river along the park. The detail on the coin is actually pretty good despite the pictures and the crud build up. With the depth of the coin (9in) we figured it was dropped in the late forties. All three of the Silvers were about 8 inches as well as the Wheat's. Trapper

Right to the bitter end Trapper!! Congrats to you and Mike!!!!! We here in PA are still swinging daily, have no fear as none of us will come close to topping your milestone. Happy new year buddy!!!

One more for the record book Trapper, congrats on the Merc...410 silvers is just outstanding:yes:
Thank you again Bruce, not only for this reply but the continuing support this whole year. I just want you to know how much it was really appreciated. Any way I think I'm done for 2018. Have a tentative plan for New Years Day
Congrats on the adventure hunt! Finding that silver and penny is what drives us to the next dig and the endless possibilities of what it may bring.
Thanks John. Every hunt for me is an adventure, some are more entertaining than others. Just getting out this time of the year is something else. Being blessed with guys like Mike around me makes it so much better. Trapper

You know your digging deep when you find Australian coinage😳
Re-check the side of the hole for Chinese next time you studs 😎
One more day left in 2018. Looking forward to your wrap ups .
Nothing like Wisconsin silver at the end of December.

Great work guys
,Dew

Great job Trapper! One heck of a year! I was hoping to get out as well but it has been below zero here!

410 is going to just about impossible to beat for anyone unless they hit a cache, unreal year boss!
Thanks Zee. I do hope somebody does have a year like this just to experience it. 410 was not the goal at the start of the year and even when I hit 300 I never thought I get to this total. Kinda just living the dream and trying to absorb all the great times through the year.
You know your digging deep when you find Australian coinage😳
Re-check the side of the hole for Chinese next time you studs 😎
One more day left in 2018. Looking forward to your wrap ups .
Nothing like Wisconsin silver at the end of December.
Great work guys
,Dew
Thank you Brad. We had to dig deep just to get under the layer of clad. Hope the holidays have been good for you. My wrap up will be in a couple of days. I surprised myself as I am breaking things down a bit. Trapper

Great times buddy and enjoyed everything about 2018!! New bucket listers off the list, enjoyable hunts and more importantly endless laughs!!

51f07c937e39437c6ac194f5826f1f1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job Trapper! One heck of a year! I was hoping to get out as well but it has been below zero here!
Thank you Tom. Weather here has also taken a turn to the bad. Temps has dropped below freezing both day and night and the ground is becoming rock pretty fast. Might be a while again before we can get out.
Great times buddy and enjoyed everything about 2018!! New bucket listers off the list, enjoyable hunts and more importantly endless laughs!!

51f07c937e39437c6ac194f5826f1f1b.jpg
It has been great times Mike throughout this year. Looking forward to next year already. Trapper

410 silvers! :wow: Congrats to both of you on the sweet hunt. What a great way to finish the year!

AMAZING year and interesting hypothesis about the soldier. That’s part of what makes it a great hobby, one can kinda write the story based on knowledge of the dirt, depth, era , etc. it’s like clues to a mystery and you get to finish the story!

AMAZING year and interesting hypothesis about the soldier. That’s part of what makes it a great hobby, one can kinda write the story based on knowledge of the dirt, depth, era , etc. it’s like clues to a mystery and you get to finish the story!

As we discussed this find, location and surrounding homes kinda made sense to us. I think this drop was from a returning soldier..maybe maybe not but like you said it’s what we live about this hobby. Putting all the pieces together.

Back
Top Bottom