I've been "catfished"

KiowaRd

Forum Supporter
In case you haven't heard the expression here's the definition: A "catfish" is someone who pretends to be someone else online. This person completely assumes a fake identity and goes the extra mile to make their victim believe that they are exactly who they say they are.

----------------------------------------------

It happens to me a lot while detecting. I hear this high pitch tone which is telling me "I'm a dime, I'm a dime" And I look at the numbers and they tell me "yes, yes, I'm a dime". So I dig the target and it's a Lincoln penny. Darn...

Doesn't just happen with the Deus, My detector gal friend is using an AT Pro I dig all her finds because she had both knees replaced not so very long ago. So she gets a signal and says "I've got a dime" I swing the Deus over the target and sure enough it's exactly the same tone and number as the last dimes I've dug. But nope, it's another penny.

Not zincolns but ones minted from 1962 - 1982.

Any one else get "catfished" like this?

-----------------------------------------------

I thought it was me and my MD but I know exactly what you talking about.

I get the one piece pull tabs as nickels.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Heres the nastiest catfish. High 80s on the AT at 8 inches.

Bent, rusty nail. Ever get that one?

I would say you were snookered as my idea of a Catfish is one with a big mouth and no a?? to back up his words.
Marvin
PS, Tell your Sweetie that she will be able to get on her knees and dig one day.
I had both of mine replaced and can get on them to dig with no problem.
It took me about 8 months------------I still use a knee pad.

My machine gives me a different tone and numbers for the zincolns but copper pennies, dimes and quarters give the same number. I cant hear any difference in the tones. I do not mind digging copper pennies as once in a while a wheat penny shows up and I like the looks of them.

With my excal in the water I hear a nice low tone, slightly higher than stainless and more clear than the top knockout of a can, thinking gold, usually a small piece of aluminum slaw. Gets me every time...

On my ATP a 4" dime was very often a can. I hate those. On my Nox, all of these stud earrings pretending to be foil kill me.

BCD

I'm hard of hearing, in fact my right ear is all but deaf and probably 50% hearing loss in my left ear so I detect with the volume cranked on my machines and wide open on my individual adjustable headphones so consequently I'm somewhat tone deaf also. Anyway I cannot differentiate between a penny and a quarter much less a dime so I go by VDI numbers most of the time and my machines, especially my mx5 are pretty accurate about correctly identifying the 2 number difference between a copper penny and a dime or even a Zink penny and a copper one.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

on my safari copper pennies bounce back and forth between 37-38 ,as where dimes usually hit a solid 38 . 34-35 are usually zinc

I'm hard of hearing, in fact my right ear is all but deaf and probably 50% hearing loss in my left ear so I detect with the volume cranked on my machines and wide open on my individual adjustable headphones so consequently I'm somewhat tone deaf also. Anyway I cannot differentiate between a penny and a quarter much less a dime so I go by VDI numbers most of the time and my machines, especially my mx5 are pretty accurate about correctly identifying the 2 number difference between a copper penny and a dime or even a Zink penny and a copper one.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I find the Whites machines will usually get a clear 2 number VDI difference as you mentioned. I can usually hear the difference between a quarter and the others, but it's touchy between a copper penny and a clad dime even with good ears and good phones. Silver dimeage on the other hand...:D

This all assumes the ground balance is correct and you're not more than about 6" or so (At least with the MXT Pro). At further depth, the VDI will start to wander a fair bit, as is the case with most machine, but the sound will stay solid.

The old rusty nail halo fools the VDI a lot and is just part of the game. They do tend to sound choppy from one direction or the other, but not always.

GL & HH all!! :aok:

I also get "catfished " sometimes on the dime-penny reading with my Nox 600.
I get a 24-25 reading and sometimes it's a dime and sometimes a penny. All part of the game. I kind of think it's the soil depending where you're hunting.
Bubbaron

On my ATP dimes usually bounce 82-83 and copper pennies are 81-82. But lately there have been a lot of pull rings over iron pretending to be dimes. I think they figured me out.

Back
Top Bottom