Lucky day, or nay? We shall see! *verbose*

0z0ne

Funny story.

So today I went to a different branch of my bank (chase) to deposit A LOT of coins. For those of you who read my nickel questions thread, you will know what I'm talking about. I had leftover loose nickels from two boxes I 'purchased' as well as 100$ in halves. Additionally, I had nearly a weeks worth of 'tip change' from work. All of this was painstakingly carried by me into the bank in one of those super-duty plastic coin bags. Of course it was busier inside than I had hoped, and my luggage and I were drawing many stares. Again, I am from a snobby northern suburb of Chicago, so this was no surprise.

Anyway, one of the employees walked up and offered to hold the bag while I waited for the next available teller and I thanked him, but respectfully declined. He then told me I could put it at the end of the counter so he could go around and start the machine process.

As soon as I got back in line two things happened at once. The woman in front of me turned around and mused at my ....mint bag, asking how much money was in there. At the same moment, the guy next to me started snickering. I said to them both that I could roughly guess what he total would be, but that I didn't know for sure. Apparently the woman asked as a politely interested 'nothing', so she shook her head, finished her business and left. On the oher hand,the dude said 'oh really? Why don't you guess how much you got then?" so I thougt for a moment and guessed 307 dollars.

You might be thinking... So what? Two nickel boxes, plus 100 in halves is 300, right? Well, don't forget I had a good amount of tip change too. ALSO, I had to enter the fact that I took out a sizeable amount of oldie nickels out when I crh them.

Moving on... the guy next to me continued to mock smile, just as the chase guy leans over the counter and tells me the machine was being difficult. He said there were a few coins blocking the feeder, and that he'd throw them in for the inconvenience.

Long story short... Ten minutes later, the task was completed and the banker walks back the counter and asks if I'd like to guess the total be for he told me. At that, the snickerig fellow snorted and said "yeah, he guesses 307". The banker then stops and stares for a moment before replying, "no kidding! Did you cheat? The total is 306.90!"

I was surprised, but the cocky dude to my right was so shocked he laughed a nervous laugh, and turned his back on me. I felt lucky indeed! Even luckier as the male customer approached me on his way out and handed me three bucks. He said "I just deposited all my money, but here is what's left" I was like, SWEET! And left with my cash.

Cool huh?

Here's something else!
I withdrew another 200 dollars and headed to a small private bank I hadn't visited yet. Got there and asked about halves. The teller said yes, we do have a box but we can't break it for less, so you'll have to buy them all. I said "no problem, i will take the lot!" she then asked if I was a customer and I said no, and finished by saying she was sorry, but couldn't deal with a non-customer.

WELL it just so happened that i forgot my dad sent me a check earlier this morning and had it in my pocket. So I asked the woman if shed make me a customer so I could get the box. From there she told me all I needed was a measly 100$ to open a checking account and I took the bait.

The process of opening the account took a only a little while. But hey, I received three hints of value in the end! One was my box of halves, yay! The second is that I got a gift certificate bonus for 50$ in pizza at a yummy local parlor. And the third was.... Exciting news!

The teller showed me her good side now, and happily informed me that they had a good 5000$ in halves in their vault. She said the bank wants them out because they've been there, nobody wants them, and they take up space!

To that I said, 'well I shall remedy that!!' I told he. I would relieve the bank of two boxes (about) per week. She gladly accepted!

What was in the box? Nadda. Skunk. TWas too bad, i thouht my luck would last a little longer. So I went back a few hours later and bought another!
I've not gone through all the rolls yet of box #2, but I will let you know if i find anything!

I'll keep going back for boxes too and keep y'all posted!

Thanks for reading!

Wish me (more) luck!

P.s.- I know this topic has been covered before, but the teller informed me that the banks halves com from FED. I am curious if the skunking has anything to do with that.

P.p.s- what EXaCTLy is meant by coin coming from the Fed? I suppose they mean directly from the goverment, but how does that whole process work?

THANKs!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom