curious about coins...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
I don't collect coins or have any background in old coins, i did NOT find this coin with a metal detector nor do i remember where it can from. My qyestion for you guys who look for coins with a passion is why? Is it because its old or you like to hold old coins or you make money from selling all your coin finds?

Curious because for example i doubt i will ever find a coin older than this one with my new MD and if i did it would be rare. Yet this near perfect specimen of a silver dollar 150 years old is not worth more than a few bucks from what i can see in similar google images.... so why do we look for them in the ground?

liberty2.jpg

take it easy on me if i don't actually get it yet... I might be a gold hunter rather than a coin hunter, idk i just got a machine :cool:

1.) It's fun.

2.) Silver is currently $30/oz. A silver dollar, such as the one you have pictured, has over 3/4 oz. silver, meaning it's worth at least $22. If that is inconsequential to you, you are welcome to send it to me. :)

3.) In my case, I will likely never dig up a coin that would be in my collecting specialty, since I don't live nor do I travel to the middle east. I collect them for the history. They motivate me to read the history books. US coins, for the most part, just have me scurrying to the books to find out how much they are worth. Still, I would not rebury a coin upon finding it. :)

-- Tom

I dont really know how you guys in the US look at it,but I do know a large Victorian coin in a similiar condition would be worth X times more than your silver dollar.This is not a boast but in the last 4mths Ive found two coins which alone top the £1000 and Ive sold other silver in multiples which keep petrol/battery expenses to a minimum plus other nice bits.
I think deep down that though the "its a piece of history,doesnt matter about the value brigade" will disagree,the desire to find something valuable is within us all and discouragement would set in with me if that potential wasnt there.Yes,I love history;I regret not resitting my a levels to get the high grades needed to study archaeology at university but something extra in the way is needed for my motivation.If I thought I was just going to go out and dig up some junk every day I wouldnt bother.
Shock Horror:shock::shock:

It's not just silver dollars, I look for any coins. I recently found a Spanish coin from 1790not too far from Pike's Stockade about 20 miles south from where I live. Spain did a lot of exploring in this area from the 1500s to the 1800s. I have a degree in history and these kinds of coins almost "talk" to me.....

Dusty

It's not just silver dollars, I look for any coins. I recently found a Spanish coin from 1790not too far from Pike's Stockade about 20 miles south from where I live. Spain did a lot of exploring in this area from the 1500s to the 1800s. I have a degree in history and these kinds of coins almost "talk" to me.....

Dusty

now there... that's interesting, some really old coinage from Spain... i get that except for the part about "talking"

time for medication
Copy2ofCopyofratchet1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom