May I ask a question please?

I enjoy picking off a few silvers here and there but I have no problem shooting clad for a wile . They are good targets often can turn into rings .
I tumble my clad and buy silver with it . Therefore though I avoid zink pennies even a penny I find turns into silver . I have dug enough clad in the last 4 seasons to buy a gold double eagle . Like I said .. I buy silver with mine so every penny turns into treasure. And he'll ya I'll dig a nickel . Solid numbers and tone I'd say 9 out of 10 are going to be a nickel .

You say you don't understand digging clad ? You shoot silver ? Or relics ? For what we spend on hunting and gear you could buy 10 times the treasure we find from week to week . Last week o spent about 40 bucks in gas and stuff to find a Mercury dime and 41 cents . I could have stopped at the coin shop and got about 30 silver dimes for that . Lol. It's not about logic . It's about the hunt buddy šŸ‘
,Dew

I think you mis-understood my comment. I will dig the dimes and quarters nickels and pennies as I said in my original post, I know exactly what you can find digging those targets, But I have never one time though set out with the intension to go dig clad as my goal. My intension is always to find something older than that. That is why most of us do our research to find old spots where we can increase our odds of doing so. To each their own and I have no problem with anyone digging what ever they want. But I agree with IDX, I don't understand why folk have a goal to go dig clad. It is never my end goal. This Hobby to me has nothing to do with the "cost" or how much value I dig$$ It is about history and the things I learn from digging the history. That my friend is Priceless:grin:

Geeez Dew, I always thought the Sunglasses was because he was digging under cover like James Bond. Your telling me that he digs a mine to get some shine and no glare. He tunnels the earth to avoid a five cent piece like a mole in a tulip garden, Wow! He sure pulled it over on me. Well Jerry I hope you can see all the valued wisdom this man has and his willingness to share. Trapper

Yup Trap šŸ‘ In the photo the nickel was under his pinpointer . The dime was under that . When he walked away I ran over and grabbed that nickelšŸ‘.

As for the glasses ... the sun isn't even out . At the end of his typical silver hunt he takes them off and looks like a raccoon from all the silver burn hitting his face all day.
Just sayin .

I think you mis-understood my comment. I will dig the dimes and quarters nickels and pennies as I said in my original post, I know exactly what you can find digging those targets, But I have never one time though set out with the intension to go dig clad as my goal. My intension is always to find something older than that. That is why most of us do our research to find old spots where we can increase our odds of doing so. To each their own and I have no problem with anyone digging what ever they want. But I agree with IDX, I don't understand why folk have a goal to go dig clad. It is never my end goal. This Hobby to me has nothing to do with the "cost" or how much value I dig$$ It is about history and the things I learn from digging the history. That my friend is Priceless:grin:

We are on the same page šŸ‘ . Many of my little hunts are unplanned and I just sneak off for an hour for some theoropy . This could be a park built in the 80's.
Just clad and maybe a shot at a ring or a slim shot at something old . That's when the clad shines . I do not plan a hunt around it but as someon who will hunt for hours for a single keeper older target making a stop for a target rich environment is sometimes just what a guy needs . Usually an hour of that is enough for me though. Doing it all day ... like you not my speed . Didn't mean to jump ya there . It was not my intention . I do know as a new hunter I targeted it hard . As hunters evolve .. we pen Our minds and apreaciate relics and other more challenging finds . I'm actually starting to get interested in buttons too!!!! what the??? Buttons ? Who woulda thunk? Lol
Thanks for the reply .
Dew

:laughing: good stuff dew! He clearly doesn't play around, numbers dont lie...I always enjoyed reading the wisco posts, you guys seem like some awesome dudes to hunt with, not to mention you guys KILL IT! :cool:

Thanks Cellr , if you ever get up this way you know how to get in touch with the gang .
These guys are a good bunch . I am so fortunate to have found such good friends .
So much for hijacking one of kevens threads for now . He posts great questions and has some of the best content come up as people pick apart theory's .
I just come in and stir the pot with. Bunch of jibbrish and split .
IDX is actually trying to learn and gather data and anylize actual information and loves the input . He is now dumber since I showed up. Lol.
Oh well . šŸ˜Ž

You guys are too much...:lol: Whaaaaattttt? Iā€™m the leftover KING at my house,itā€™s all I eat! If I didnā€™t,half the food we buy would go in the garbage!

I actually have a good collection of old nickels. They seem to be very easy to find because so many have skipped over them for decades. Maybe Iā€™ll have a change of heart due to the responses here,that many people canā€™t be wrong!
What a motley crew in THAT picture! Itā€™s a wonder thereā€™s any silver left...

Youā€™re right Dew,in the regard Iā€™m always trying to find a way to ā€œdo it betterā€. But I never want to get to the ā€œparalysis by analysisā€ stage,thatā€™s counter-productive! Sometimes you just cannot be sure,until you dig. However,each target deserves at least a good ā€œthinking overā€ before itā€™s dug,and the more info you have,the more productive you can be! See? Iā€™m not dumber now! Iā€™m just the same level of dumb!
Carry on....:cool:

I don't care for nickels , I usually only dig a percentage in the nickel/foil range to give me a chance at gold but not waste all my time on what is most likely just a nickel or foil. But many times in the past I have found buffalos or war nickels at about 3 inches , in parks and schools. Just because they " should " be deeper don't mean they all are , just something to consider.

Specifically regarding the new Equinox but other examples are out there in abundance...WHY are people digging 3ā€ nickels in parks? For the number of times you can get burned by junk,along with its lower value...WHY? I see videos of the Equinox and NICKELS. I get that it does well on nickels and lower conductors. But to specifically dig a nickel signal in hopes of finding a NICKEL? In a modern park or school at less than 6ā€?
Seriously?

well better than zinc pennies and pull tabs. I dig them because they are a coin, and you never know, might be a buff or older nickel. The type of ground composition often determines the depth. hung up on a rock or root and still shallow?

I either dig or not dig based on the mood of the day. I really like old relics so much of my time in spent in the woods where pickings are few and far between. Often all I come home with is lead and headstamps but it's also where I pull the occasion IH or silver. I also like it being quiet and peaceful. Eventually I get bored and just feel the need to dig up some coins (and make sure I still can remember how to find them) On these days I'll grab the screwdriver and hit the totters or sports fields and go for the clad, don't care if it's nickels, zincs, quarters, or the 6 year olds piece of costume jewelry she lost on her first day of soccer practice. Give me something to dig to occupy my time and hopefully keep my skills up enough so I don't miss something when I'm back where the pickings are slim.

I either dig or not dig based on the mood of the day. I really like old relics so much of my time in spent in the woods where pickings are few and far between. Often all I come home with is lead and headstamps but it's also where I pull the occasion IH or silver. I also like it being quiet and peaceful. Eventually I get bored and just feel the need to dig up some coins (and make sure I still can remember how to find them) On these days I'll grab the screwdriver and hit the totters or sports fields and go for the clad, don't care if it's nickels, zincs, quarters, or the 6 year olds piece of costume jewelry she lost on her first day of soccer practice. Give me something to dig to occupy my time and hopefully keep my skills up enough so I don't miss something when I'm back where the pickings are slim.

I like that answer T-man. I guess that while Iā€™m realizing that different people do different things,itā€™s sometimes hard to get a good view out of my own ā€œbubbleā€. I also like peacefulness,when I can find it!:grin:

I like to grab a few nickels on most hunts . For my machine it's a solid and non wavering 12-13 or 13-13 that tells me I'm nine out of ten times on a nickel.
Yes to give me solid locked In numbers with my machines frequencies it is often within 4 inches or 5 inches at most.

I did take a 1920 buff yesterday in a hardpack dirt area . You know the kinda place .. tree roots heavily traveled not much of any grass.

And last night Bert pulled two war nickels about 8 inches out of a clean ball field with the Nox flashing a 12 and 13 with the 800.

Both his and my nickels and I had 4 yesterday were high percentage situations and yes as soon as I stray or have jumpy numbers the junk will show up .
A 12-12 for me is junk . ( Etrac )

Because I am familiar with how your mind works Kev . Start with an air test on a Jefferson . Those numbers should not move if your shallow .
I can see why you would have no interest in digging deeper ones as I do not want to go threw the work or make a mess by digging a low percentage target.

Now if you just grabbed a barber at ten inches and there is a deeper nickel sounding target with jumpy numbers a foot away? Odds go way up it's below the trash line and an older nickel is there.
THE KEY šŸ˜Ž
Here is something else . I do not use this enough .
When you pinpoint a nickel it sounds solid and clean as you investigate the edges. This came from the Tesoro single tone hunter in me . When the target is a pull tab or can slaw the target does not pinpoint as such a nice tight target and often as you pull away you will get a not so clean edge or even sort of a feedback or hanger on as you pull off.
Again in the field I'm not often playing with this pinpoint option as I'm not primarily hunting nickels but it boots your signal in pinpoint mode and should with the CTX convert your digital signal or beep type signal into tool that you can judge shape or pick up the fact that the target is rough around the edges or aluminum with a hanger or non consistent edge to the junk as you pull off.
Your pinpoint mode is the key. Use it to judge size and shape and not for just centering a target . It creates more of a natural picture in your mind .

Start with the air test and take a few shallow ones you l ow will be nickels .
To heck with the rest until you have an environment that brings your odds up.

That's all I got on nickels buddy but I'm no slayer . But grabbing a few more along the way when targets are slow and you just want to dig a hole is the way i go.
,Dew

Last edited:
Specifically regarding the new Equinox but other examples are out there in abundance...WHY are people digging 3ā€ nickels in parks? For the number of times you can get burned by junk,along with its lower value...WHY? I see videos of the Equinox and NICKELS. I get that it does well on nickels and lower conductors. But to specifically dig a nickel signal in hopes of finding a NICKEL? In a modern park or school at less than 6ā€?
Seriously?

IDX-monster, I LOVE your post/question. I have had the same debate on various threads, and with my hunting partner. They are giddy with glee that a new machine (like the Nox or whatever) is "more sensitive to lower conductors". Ie.: therefore better at nickels or better at gold .

But when it comes to turf at parks or schools, I think : SHEESK ! What's the problem ? Since when wasn't it difficult to find low conductors (tabs, foil, nickels, gold rings) ALREADY with our CURRENT crop of machines ? I mean, jeez, all you gotta do is turn down your discrimination, and you can go out to any inner city park, and dig low conductors TILL YOUR ARMS FALL OFF .

At least in-so-far as parks, where .... there is already an endless array of low conductors to choose from. Perhaps in other hunt locations (beach, nuggets, etc..) then this may not apply.

Also, I remember way-back-when, during the "silver rush" of the late 1970s and early 1980s, that a lot of guys cranked the disc. and angled for silver only. Ie.: why dig tabs and foil, when silver was easy-for-pickens in the then virgin parks ?

And sure enough, someone else would come along and chide them: "You might miss nickels". To which I recall one wise sage challenging the dissenter : "Take a look at the coin book. See what dates/mints of nickels are worth anything. Then take a look at the dime & quarter pages, and see which dates/mints are worth something " (especially us, who is near the SF mint).

And you would see that very few nickels are worth much numismatically. And, let's be honest: The ground "kisses" nickels with corrosion that leaves them numismatically worthless anyhow (ie.: even if it WAS a key date). Versus silver, which comes out shiny and un-damaged.

This has no bearing on relicky site strategy (demolition, cellar holes , stage stops, etc...). But when strictly coin hunting @ junky parks, it DOES have merit as a strategy.

I dig every 13,14 on my nox. If its a nickel thats cool, one time it will be a gold ring.
Same goes for my At pro I dig those solid sounding nickels among a sea of pulltabs.
Gotta dig the midtones on my Sovereign at the beach.

I actually get more excited for pull tab like numbers in my old farm fields and water sites. Most of my cobs and other smaller pieces of colonial silver fall in that range.

I dig every 13,14 on my nox. If its a nickel thats cool, one time it will be a gold ring .....

I actually get more excited for pull tab like numbers in my old farm fields and water sites. Most of my cobs and other smaller pieces of colonial silver fall in that range.

Metal-addict & toasted : Couldn't the same thing be said of past machines, before the Nox ? Can't the same thing be said of a whole bunch of machines that aren't necessarily "more sensitive to lower conductors" ? After all, it's not hard to simply lower the disc. on any machine, and get "nickel" or "pulltab" signals. On a wide array of past machines.

So when something comes along and hits the market (like the Nox) touting "more sensitive to lower conductors", then ... I agree with IDX monster: If angling the parks for nickels is the objective, then "more sensitivity to lower conductors" is hardly a needed goal. The parks and fields are ALREADY loaded with low conductors, that generations of lazy md'rs have passed.

As said, this is a noble concern if someone is angling for earring studs, tinsel thin chains, nuggets, etc.... But when it comes to turf , then .... Simply lower the disc. knob. And you'd be guaranteed no lack of signals to choose from already.

In my fields I dig it all so numbers dont really matter to me. Lots of detectors would probably suit my needs in a field but I can grab the Nox for the saltwater too. The Nox does run at much higher frequencies in Multi mode than most detectors though thus more sensitive to lower conducters

Metal-addict & toasted : Couldn't the same thing be said of past machines, before the Nox ? Can't the same thing be said of a whole bunch of machines that aren't necessarily "more sensitive to lower conductors" ? After all, it's not hard to simply lower the disc. on any machine, and get "nickel" or "pulltab" signals. On a wide array of past machines.

So when something comes along and hits the market (like the Nox) touting "more sensitive to lower conductors", then ... I agree with IDX monster: If angling the parks for nickels is the objective, then "more sensitivity to lower conductors" is hardly a needed goal. The parks and fields are ALREADY loaded with low conductors, that generations of lazy md'rs have passed.

As said, this is a noble concern if someone is angling for earring studs, tinsel thin chains, nuggets, etc.... But when it comes to turf , then .... Simply lower the disc. knob. And you'd be guaranteed no lack of signals to choose from already.

I agree Tom, I don't specifically target low conductors with my Nox, I'm more comfortable doing that with my Atpro. Yes any detector will work.

As said, this is a noble concern if someone is angling for earring studs, tinsel thin chains, nuggets, etc.... But when it comes to turf , then .... Simply lower the disc. knob. And you'd be guaranteed no lack of signals to choose from already.[/QUOte)

I only dig nickels if I get a nickel ID. Most detectors I've owned (about 50) could not accurately ID a nickel beyond 1"-2" in my moderately mineralized ground. Wonder which detectors can do better? Equinox? My AT Pro has only IDed nickels properly to 1", some White's units to 2". Minelab XT-70 to 1".

Silver in the nickel range Curt? Besides a war nickel,what else was silver? I certainly have never had a nickel signal be a silver anything except a war nickel. I dug a silver earring back(925) that rang up as silver...other things do?

All the war nickels Iā€™ve found fell right in the nickel range,they didnā€™t ring up as a high conductor

This is a great topic! Pescadore hit it on the head for me as well...
Nickels are the 'rarest' coin concerning NA pocket change...Lots more Pennies and D's and Q's out there than nickels...Take a look in your change jar and see for yourself

One thing for sure,our local coinstar at Walmart donā€™t like nickels.i looked in the return tray the other day and it was packed,I thought jackpot...as I was taking handfull after handfull Out I noticed 2 things,,one was they were all modern nickels,,and two, the old fart Walmart guy greeting people in was staring at me like I stole his lunchmoney.lol,,I almost aborted...But there must have been a 100 nickels in there,I think one quarter.

Back
Top Bottom