Help! My on off know to my markro racer broke off

bigbeardboy

I was riding my bike home from a metal detecting site when the end of my metal detector hit a telephone pole.
I checked to see if it still worked but the switch was GONE:no:
Now i can't turn it on.
is there any way to fix this?

Attachments

• P9260004.jpg
    P9260004.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 258
  • P9260006.jpg
    P9260006.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 257
You're going to need a new toggle switch. Walmart (maybe?), home depot or Lowes. About $4 and you can screw it together easily, just crimp to the old connectors or solder them.

Edit: um, that's not a toggle switch at all, it's a knob. You're going to need the whole switch. Still should be cheap if you can replace it yourself (are you handy?), or you will need to send it in to be serviced. :(

You're going to need a new toggle switch. Walmart (maybe?), home depot or Lowes. About $4 and you can screw it together easily, just crimp to the old connectors or solder them.

It was not a toggle switch.
It was a dial that changed the volume and turned it on.
Where could i get that?

Sorry for your accident.

In order to get the same function from the potentiometer and the On/Off function, you need to match the total resistance and the taper. It might be 250K ohms or it might be a lot of other values and it might be a linear taper or it might be logarithmic - they are both common in the world of volume controls. Depending on your budget, your skills and patience, etc. you could fix it yourself or should send it to the manufacturer for repair. If you need more specifics for DIY, would be happy to advise - just ask. Clearly the DIY route would void any remaining warranty.

GL

If it will still turn internally looks like you have enough left of the shaft to jb weld something to it to make a knob?

Like stated before. You will have to remove and/or expose the existing potentiometer to find the style/type and value. You can't just throw another one in there and hope it works. You need a potentiometer with on/off switch. Yours will be a linear type. Once the pot is removed then you can match it up with one just like it. It should have everything printed on it to most likely find the exact pot. Once found you can try potentiometers.com - mouser.com or search for potentiometer with switch. Here is just one example http://www.allelectronics.com/item/ptl-50k/50k-linear-taper-pot-w/on-off-switch/1.html
FYI - The wires should be soldered on.

Small drill bit. Don't drill deep. Epoxy a simple piece of bent metal to use or get creative and make a knob. Some new epoxies hold bridges together when they anchor rebar so should bond metal a finger cant strip glued in:lol:

Back
Top Bottom