Clarification for a New Guy, Please!

SpencerHunter

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the silly question...

But I am new at this and just needed a clarification.

I thought the whole point of the pull tab "icon" on my Garrett 1350 was to AVOID digging those targets, no? I have been passing all of those up!! : (

Here and on other forums I have been reading that gold rings often register as pull tabs and pull tabs should be always dug up.

Is this true? I am hitting mainly parks and playgrounds at the moment. But being in the Gold Country, I of course will be hitting ghost towns, the rivers, etc. before long.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Spencer

Gold covers a broad range and often rings up as a pull tab or nickel. Someone else posted that a 14k gold ring registered as foil on their machine.

This is why so many people here will tell you to dig it all. Gold will hit on any machine in A broad range depending on size and Karat. That's what makes finding gold so challenging, especially in really trashy parks. If the area you are hunting isn't to trashy then dig everything.
Keith

You have to dig pull tabs to get gold. It can show in the foil, nickel, pull tab, screw cap, and I have even heard at least once that a LARGE ring showed up as a zinc penny. It is mostly a pull tab/nickel signal though. That is why it is so difficult to get the gold out of parks and school grounds, there are thousands of pull tabs in those places also and most people get tired of digging those pretty quick.

capt.

All the gold rings I have scanned(newer ones) are in the nickel range but I believe older (more gold) rings are in the pulltab range no?:grin: Also I find gold jewelry in the foil to nickel range!

Yep!! Ya Just never know what you'll recover from the ground, Not just gold but buttons, hairpins, buckles large & small & even the half dime I found showed around the screw cap range even gold coins can register in the trash range..I pretty much dig everything from just below the nickle range & up..

I did a lot of bench testing with my detector recently. I used every ring in our house and various other pieces of jewelry just to get a feel of how it responded to each one. You might want to try that. It really helped me a lot.

Real Reason

They call them pull tabs, and you find gold with the same setting also, but if your meter said Gold all the time and it was pull tabs you found, you would take it back and say it is broken.

How do you think people in Canada feel using machines set for US coins.

Readings all over the place.

Yes a certain range of gold rings will fall into the pull tab area. Now if your detector has say 7 to 12 target ID segments, I.E. Iron, Foil, Nickle, Pull tab, Penny, Dime, Quarter, Half and Dollar, then most gold rings will end up under the pull tab ID or Foil ID. If your detector has a VDI with say 99 Target ID Segments or more, then you can limit the number of tabs you dig and still recover most of the gold as well.

For example, on my DFX, which has 199 target ID Segments, when I first get to a site I'll recovery everything in the foil and tab range until I establish a common trash ID. In other words if I start recovering a lot of pull tabs that read a VDI of 19 to 24 I'll start ignoring those. There is still a chance you could miss a gold ring that happened to ring up in that VDI range, but the odds are far better in your favor that you won't miss any.

Don't forget to look at your screen. If you look closely, the pulltab icon falls under the broader <<<<<rings&gold>>>>> icon. I have an Ace 250 and it took me a little while to understand what to dig and what not to dig. I don't know if there is a 'jewelry' mode on your machine but that is what I use. It gets rid of all the nails and iron pieces. I discriminate those out for tot lots and most other places....

garrett-metal-detector--693903004933839410.jpg

don't know if there is a 'jewelry' mode on your machine but that is what I use. It gets rid of all the nails and iron pieces. I discriminate those out for tot lots and most other places....

For the privilege of finding all the mommies and tots jewelery, coins, and other lost objects, I always hunt in all metal and clean every tot lot out of as much hazardous material as I can.
Nails, staples, bullets, everything.

Makes it easier to find fresh drops the next time, too

I have not found a gold ring yet. But just for good practice I have tested my MD with several shapes and sizes of gold rings just to know what its like. Yup, pull tabs and nickels in the the "low range". The other side is "high tones" which can be silver rings, dimes and quarters! Good practice with all kinds of items just to know what one would be like!!!!!

Pull tabs aren't the only boondoggle

I read on a forum several years ago that skipping over zinc pennies can cause missing small jewelry. I'd been passing them up as so many are badly corroded. Anyway, the second one I dug after reading that forum turned out to be a small ring and I've hit several more, since. SO - pull tabs aren't the only trash that can be a goodie.
BB

Here is something,I scanned a friends platinum ring on my Ace 250 and it rang up bouncing between nickel and one notch below that. Sorry I should use my f70 more but this one is so easy.:D

Back
Top Bottom