You have $800 to get a waterproof MD

JohnOC

:?:OK, you have $800 to get a waterproof detector for saltwater surf and scuba diving detecting on the west coast. What do you get, and why did you pick the model you picked? Oh, it can't be used and your new to MDing so it can't be very complicated.

Start your shopping!

Thanks

If you have $800 to spend go with the whites, the recovery speed is much faster and becasuse of it you will find more. However you wont be able to dive with it, chest deep wading and beach hunting only. I went with the excaliber because I can dive with it and its cool looking and I'm a Middle ages history buff. Name says it all....

Good luck with the machine.....

jamie

However you wont be able to dive with it, chest deep wading and beach hunting only.

I'm curious, why can't you dive with it? If you're referring to the Surf PI Pro, it is made for diving. You can get a shorter dive shaft for it too. You also have the selection of the standard coil, or a neutral buoyancy coil. As a matter of fact, I think it'd be better for diving than shallow water hunting, as you can hear the wave action in shallow water when the gain is set to an optimal level. Perhaps I'm missing something, or you're referring to a different Whites machine?

Sorry JohnOC, I can't offer much help, as the Surf PI Pro is the only waterproof machine I've used. I'd be a tad bit biased. :lol:

Jamie, I'm curios too. Which Whites are you talking about?

Hobbes, how do you like your Surf PI Pro, most of my hunting will be in waist deep surf were I could keep the box out of the water but I think it will be a matter of time before it gets wet. Do you use yours in the surf a lot?

Hobbes, how do you like your Surf PI Pro, most of my hunting will be in waist deep surf were I could keep the box out of the water but I think it will be a matter of time before it gets wet. Do you use yours in the surf a lot?

That's where I use it pretty much all the time, from knee to chest deep water. I do some wet sand searching as well, but mostly, I like to search in the water.

The machine is waterproof down to 100 feet, so don't worry about getting it wet in the surf. Just like with anything you use at the beach, take care of it by washing it off with fresh water after each use, and it should last you a long time.

Because it's a PI, you will dig more trash. That's just the nature of using a PI machine. The salt water corrodes iron quickly though, so it's not as much of an issue in the wet sand and water. You can learn to identify some iron, such as wires, nails, hairpins and fishooks, and avoid digging them if you like. You'll hate a PI in the dry sand or at a freshwater beach, though.

The only complaint that I have about the machine, and again I think this is the case with most PIs, you will hear a threshold change as the swells go in and out if you have the gain set at the optimum level. It's still quite usable, though.

Overall, I really like the machine. Right now, I can't think of another PI that I'd buy, unless I were to have an extra $2,500 laying around to purchase an Eric Foster special.

Like I said, this is the only waterproof machine I've used, so take my 2¢ for what it's worth. ;)

Hi Boyz and Girlz
In my case I'm the only guy metal detecting in Mauritius, so I though why the need to purchase a PI md... so I pick yhe Beach Hunter instead :)

Whites...both Pi Pro+beach Hunter Id Are Able To Go Under Water...

The Beach Hunter Id Is Rated For 25ft....i Know Of Many Who Go Deeper With Out Issue...the Pi Pro Is Rated For 200 Ft....this Is The Detector Guys Hunting The "whydah" Off Cape Cod Are Using....the Beach Hunter Id Is Best With The "super 12" Coil For All Hunting....if You Don't Want That Coil Call Whites Get The Wieghted 950 Coil...call Whites About Other Possible Beach Hunter Id Coils Too...heard A Possible 10inch Open Coil???the Va Service Center Can Put Any Dfx Coil On The Beach Hunter Id For You!!

I live in Key Biscayne FL, and have been hunting beaches and water for many years now. I have owned and used the Whites Surf PI Pro (Still have it), and the Whites Beach Hunter ID (sold it). If you decide to get a Whites water detector I would strongly suggest that you go with the Surf PI Pro. For starters it is a PI machine and in my opinion it out performs the Beach Hunter ID any day. It is rated to 200 feet where as the Beach Hunter ID is only 25 feet. The PI Pro does not boast any discrimination features but I have to say, if you are hunting in the water "DIG EVERYTHING".......
By the way, the Beach Hunter ID is just fine to use under water when snorkeling or scuba diving, I used to do it all the time. My problem with the Beach Hunter ID is the fact that the discrimination functions are not the best.
I just purchased the Minelab Excal II and used it for the first time last night. It is a BEAST of a machine and I love it. The price kinda sucks but it is a great machine.
My only other suggestion to you regarding what to spend 800 dollars on a water machine is get a Fisher 1280X. It is an older machine but I still use mine and it performs beautifully everytime I use it.
Happy hunting!!!

osiris661

I hear Whites is coming out soon with a new PI that has a pulse delay I'll be looking for it :) It looks just like the PI PRO...

:?:OK, you have $800 to get a waterproof detector for saltwater surf and scuba diving detecting on the west coast. What do you get, and why did you pick the model you picked? Oh, it can't be used and your new to MDing so it can't be very complicated.

Start your shopping!

Thanks

John,

If you mean the California coast, there is a lot of highly mineralized sands here and they drive the BeachHunter ID crazy. If you are looking for a VLF, don't choose that one. As far as PI units, most do well here. The Surf PI Pro does very well.

Sounds like the PI is the way to go (yes, I'm on the California coast, HB area), but your comment about mineralization brings up a question that is very important ant and not necessarily related to beach hunting. How does a newbie or anyone know if they live in an area that has highly mineralized sand or soil? I would hate to buy a MD to find out the soil is not compatible in the area you live in. Is there some web site that shows what type of soil/sand is in a certain area?

So, if the Whites PI is a good choice (I'm still open to other suggestions) for water, what about the dry sand. Will it work well enough in the dry sand or I'm I better off with an inexpensive second MD for the dry sand (remember $800 is the limit for one or two if needed).

Thanks

Sounds like the PI is the way to go (yes, I'm on the California coast, HB area), but your comment about mineralization brings up a question that is very important ant and not necessarily related to beach hunting. How does a newbie or anyone know if they live in an area that has highly mineralized sand or soil? I would hate to buy a MD to find out the soil is not compatible in the area you live in. Is there some web site that shows what type of soil/sand is in a certain area?

So, if the Whites PI is a good choice (I'm still open to other suggestions) for water, what about the dry sand. Will it work well enough in the dry sand or I'm I better off with an inexpensive second MD for the dry sand (remember $800 is the limit for one or two if needed).

Thanks

Go with something like an Ace 250 for the dry stuff.. it will be hard to find 2 detectors for $800 as water machines for the most part are around that price.. Rudy uses the Detector Pro Wader over there so why not look at that machine.. you can use it in the water or dry stuff and even the dirt..

Hey John, welcome from up Santa Cruz way!! (The REAL Surf City :D:lol:)
I am thinking of upgrading to the Wader to do better in the wet sand. My BH works great in the dry stuff up here!

Mineralization And The Beach Hunter Id

John,

If you mean the California coast, there is a lot of highly mineralized sands here and they drive the BeachHunter ID crazy. If you are looking for a VLF, don't choose that one. As far as PI units, most do well here. The Surf PI Pro does very well.

I HUNT SOME PLACES LOADED WITH MINERALS ...AND BLACK/PURPLE SAND....I HAVE ALSO HUNTED A FEW SPOTS SO BAD THEY MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR A BUDDYS EXPLORER II TO RUN...I HAD SOME MINOR ISSUES BUT I COULD STILL HUNT...DID REALLY WELL THERE...IF YOU MADE THE RIGHT AJUSTMENTS I DO NOT SEE WHY YOU WOULD HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE BEACH HUNTER ID??? I HAVE HEARD THE CALF...RUMOR OVER AND OVER.....NEVER SPOKE TO ANYONE WHO HAD THE ISSUE FIRST HAND??? IT MAY BE SO??? BUT I HAVE RUN MY BEACH HUNTER IN SOME TOUGH SOILS....JUST SOME THOUGHTS

Back
Top Bottom