Next machine - considering AT Pro or MXT Pro

Wayson

I had a MXT (non-Pro version) from 2010 to 2015 or thereabouts, when it absconded (likely stolen/lost) during a cross-country move. Since I was stuck in a particularly arid part of California at the time (rock hard ground, barely watered if at all parks, etc), I kind of let my metal detecting interest die out. Fast forward three years and I'm about to escape California to another less dry area.

I'm looking for a detector that has both tone ID and VDI display. Familiarity would dictate that I get a Whites, e.g. the MXT Pro, except that the Pro is still fairly expensive and I remember that the MXT was heavy. This makes me consider the AT Pro, which I hear good things about provided the 5x8 coil is used instead of the stock coil.

Are there any other detectors out there that would offer similar or super features? I'm not interested in depth past 8-10" - I don't plan to excavate any craters - and I'm not looking for a salt-water detector (although if the detector can handle wet sand at a beach that's a bonus).

Thanks!

I have had an at pro for three years now and I still love it. Haven't had much experience with others though. I went with garret because it seemed to me to be the most bang for the buck. 5X8 coil is great in trashy areas but I started using the stock coil more this year and I wouldn't underestimate it in comparison. I do like the small coil a little better because its lighter weight and easier on my shoulder. Can detect longer with less fatigue but the trade off is ya cover less ground.

I had a fisher F70, tried a compadre but love the At pro! I have a Minelab Equinox which I am using mainly but prefer the Atpro's descriptive audio.

Back
Top Bottom