Noob question-looking to upgrade, need help please

crdizzle6288

hey guys. ive been a member here for a few years now. have not been on the forum much tho. i am looking to upgrade from my beginner Fisher F2 model and would like to get something waterproof so that I can take it to the beach and search the water line and shallow water. I see many people have the Minelab Excalibur. Not sure if that's the best option or not. Anyone have other recommendations? i will not be scuba diving or anything like that. Thanks!

Equinox 600 or 800.

The Apex might be a good option, but it won't be released until July or so.

i might have the opportunity to buy n Excalibur for under $800. Would the Equinox 800 or the Excalibur be the better option? Seems to be around the same price.

I'm not familiar with the Excalibur, but as far as the Nox 800 you can check out the tutorial series at the link below to get an idea what the Nox 800 can do and compare it to whatever the Excalibur can do -

The videos at the link below are short but very helpful tutorials on the Equinox series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC

(they cover both the 600 and 800)

i might have the opportunity to buy n Excalibur for under $800. Would the Equinox 800 or the Excalibur be the better option? Seems to be around the same price.

The Excalibur is a very old machine. Assuming you're talking about the "1000" and not the "II," It came out in 1998.

Even if you're offered the Excalibur II, it's basically an underwater machine, for SCUBA divers and snorkelers. It'll do fine on the beach, but using it for regular land detecting will not be ideal.

The Equinox 600/800 can do it all (for the most part, there are some caveats) except for underwater diving.

The Simplex is a fine detector but I’d pass on it for the beach with its single tone Beach mode setting.
The Excal would be better for water hunting.
Unless you need the extra features of the Minelab 800, the Minelab 600 would be a great choice in and out of the water and other terrains.
Good luck!

If you hunt freshwater ..Simplex, Garrett At pro, or Equinox. But they go only about 10 ft under.
Probably all you need.

The Simplex is a fine detector but I’d pass on it for the beach with its single tone Beach mode setting.
The Excal would be better for water hunting.
Unless you need the extra features of the Minelab 800, the Minelab 600 would be a great choice in and out of the water and other terrains.
Good luck!

What are the major feature differences between 600 and 800? It’ll be mostly freshwater beaches.

I would go with the Nox 800. Nothing wrong with the Excal it one the best I owned one for years just dident have time to get in the water enough to use it. And its pretty impractical to swing out of the water. The 800 allows for both.

Nox 600 would be an excellent choice. You can look online and find the differences between the 600 and the 800. Either will work well everywhere including salt water beaches. I use the Excal II at the salt water beaches and am very happy with the results but I do not find it ideal for regular dirt due to its being tones only. I have used one on the dirt but prefer a machine with a digital read out.

I love my Nox 600. When my first one was destroyed accidentally I thought about trying a new machine, but that thought disappeared after a couple of minutes and I bought a second Nox 600 and I don't regret it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom