The opposite of a scenic, peaceful farm permission

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
I was at lunch waiting on my order and overheard a guy talking about two vacant 1890s brick houses he purchased to rehab and how he had to board them up to stop the homeless people and heroin users from trespassing inside. I piped up and asked permission to see what I could find with my metal detector. He said "Have at it, but let me know if you find any gold!"

I went out early on a weekend morning and walked the property. Very small front yards full of roots. Visible bits of trash on the surface. Half of the rear yard mixed with gravel from people using it as a parking lot. I noted the location of a few needles near the house to avoid. The grass was cut short, so I didn't have to worry much about any surprises. Fortunately, nobody was around and there was no evidence of anybody using the backyard as a bathroom.

Still, when detecting yards like this I wear hiking boots, a padded plastic kneepad to kneel on, and I wear disposable, industrial nitrile gloves under and over my detecting gloves. The gloves hold up well, but I carry a big box in the car. (In a well-maintained yard I often wear the nitrile golves under my detecting gloves but not over unless the dirt is really wet.)

So, long story short, the permission was a bust as far as interesting relics or silver or older nickels or Indian Head Cents. I rarely heard a signal deeper than a few inches because of all the junk. That's a common consequence when these old houses were divided into multi-unit low cost housing decades ago. I could go a few houses over to a similar 1890s house that has continuously been a single family home and actually hear deep targets and even the occasional silence.

But, old goodies aren't always a deep. I could see that the backyard has probably never been thick lush grass, the dirt is still at or below the original brick walkways, and there's areas of erosion. It's possible a few silver coins, tokens or relics aren't actually deep. It's just a matter of digging enough targets.

If they were in this particular yard, I couldn't find them. I could have kept digging out trash and pennies, but with over 100 coins from a small yard, only four wheat pennies (oldest 1917) and no noteworthy relics, it was time to move on.

Attachments

• wrap up.jpg
    wrap up.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 695
  • rear of houses.jpg
    rear of houses.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
Been there. Done that. Detected two homes next to each other. Both built in the '20s. Divided by a fence. The first home was a gold mine. Found a 9.5-gram gold ring with 36 diamonds. A 1954 Half Dollar. Several Merks, a dozen-plus wheat pennies, a couple of cool tokens and other coins. I got permission to hunt the next-door house a few weeks later. I was all excited... Thinking it would produce the same as the first. It was a big bust. Other than a few newish pennies and one cheap pendant, it was a lot of trash and digging for nothing.

Isn't it funny when you think you find a place that is going to produce, like a 1890s home site, yet find nothing? Then you hit a place, like a park that you know has been hunted before, yet you end up pulling out a Barber Half?

Been there. Done that. Detected two homes next to each other. Both built in the '20s. Divided by a fence. The first home was a gold mine. Found a 9.5-gram gold ring with 36 diamonds. A 1954 Half Dollar. Several Merks, a dozen-plus wheat pennies, a couple of cool tokens and other coins. I got permission to hunt the next-door house a few weeks later. I was all excited... Thinking it would produce the same as the first. It was a big bust. Other than a few newish pennies and one cheap pendant, it was a lot of trash and digging for nothing.

Isn't it funny when you think you find a place that is going to produce, like a 1890s home site, yet find nothing? Then you hit a place, like a park that you know has been hunted before, yet you end up pulling out a Barber Half?

I once had three neighboring houses to hunt all built in 1890. Similar construction and lots. Smallish front yards and long narrow rear yards. Each yard was completely different as far as finds and there was no reason to believe any of them had been seriously detected in the past. I think a lot of it comes down to what percentage of that time kids lived in the house. Also, if the yards are small, any renovations with a sloppy crew can have a big impact on iron and aluminum trash density.

Last edited:
That's alot of coins, any one of them could have been a really good one....

Indeed. That photo would look totally different if there was a Morgan dollar in the middle of it. But, after digging that many coins in such a small yard and finding no more wheat pennies than what I'd find in a random 1950s home, I can't help but to listen to what the dirt is saying. If the place is still sitting vacant next year, and I feel like grinding for an hour, and I'm in the neighborhood, I might pull that slot machine lever a few more times.

It does look promising, but it seems the ones that look good usually don't give up much. At least in my case, Congrats on the wheats and adding a little more clad to the pile. Good luck Mark

I have had a lot of permissions like that. You could count the number of silvers you were going pull before hunting it. Then it's a bust... Cool story though, and one most of us door knockers have lived!

Very common, allow me to explain my experience. The neighborhood I grew up in ALL of us kids played in Andy's back yard. It was big enough for baseball, football, dodgeball etc. Andy had several brothers and sisters so kids over several age groups played there for years. Now that the neighborhood and it's people are much older all is quiet there for now.

But if you got permission to hunt all the yards on my old street you wouldn't find much in any of them. But Andy's old yard would be a goldmine of coins, jewelry, pocketknives and everything else lots of people over many years lose.

:cool3:

It does look promising, but it seems the ones that look good usually don't give up much. At least in my case, Congrats on the wheats and adding a little more clad to the pile. Good luck Mark

I have had a lot of permissions like that. You could count the number of silvers you were going pull before hunting it. Then it's a bust... Cool story though, and one most of us door knockers have lived!

Thanks! One reason I posted this was to make a "keepin' it real" post. I like looking at the mind blowing eye poppers as much as the next person, but even if you don't snag any there could still be something to share about technique, or the story of the permission, the background of the property, and so on.

Also, I still like finding wheat pennies, even if they're the only find worth mentioning. I don't look at the dates until I get home and then I see if I needed it for my wheat penny book. So, that keeps things interesting even when it's "just wheats." I find quite a few older Jefferson nickels-older than a lot of wheat pennies--and I've considered doing one of those 1938 to 1961 Jefferson nickel books.

Toy Soldier,

Good post! I've also hunted a few places like that around the Cleveland and Akron area, with a needle here and a needle there. After seeing too much of that junk just laying on the ground or half-buried, I decided to just stay away from those kind of sites.

Appearance is never a guarantee Soldier and I think we all have experience that in this hobby. I have hunted several multi-unit housing set-ups and have had mixed results with some being very good and others wishing I didn't waste my time. Trapper

Thanks for giving everyone a perspective on what appears to be a perfect detecting location that turns out to be just "average". They sure looked like they would produce a lot of older coins. Just a reminder that the grass is NOT always greener on un-searched sites. You did well recovering the number of coins you did find. We have all experienced let downs on sites that LOOK perfect.:yes: At least you gave it a shot and don't have to wish you had hunted it when you had the chance.

Toy Soldier,

Good post! I've also hunted a few places like that around the Cleveland and Akron area, with a needle here and a needle there. After seeing too much of that junk just laying on the ground or half-buried, I decided to just stay away from those kind of sites.

Thanks! Although I'm not volunteering to get pricked by a discarded needle, and I'm certainly careful out there, the likelihood of contracting something nasty is probably greater while eating at a fast food restaurant, detecting in contaminated creeks and rivers, or while digging through dog doo in curb strips and yards. Really, I think it's more about whether we want to spend our time in unpleasant places. I guess that was the point of the discussion title. I was looking at some beautiful photos of where somebody was detecting and thought to myself "You ought to see where I was a few days ago!" There was also a discussion on here a few days ago where somebody was talking about being willing to detect where some other's won't go.

Appearance is never a guarantee Soldier and I think we all have experience that in this hobby. I have hunted several multi-unit housing set-ups and have had mixed results with some being very good and others wishing I didn't waste my time. Trapper

Oh, I didn't really expect anything great. Been there and done that, as somebody else wrote. At least it kept me busy digging, and if I recall correctly, it provided a wheat for my wheat book.

Should of been deeper signals .. ground balance is key in trashy yards

A friend lived in a house most his life. He was like 67 yrs old and the house belonged to his parents before him. The house was around 168 yrs old. He swears no one ever detected it. The yard is about 1.5 acres! And he wanted to get into detecting. He asked me on a visit if I had my detector with me. Yep. Try my yard he says and I head for the biggest pine tree I've seen. 3 RD hit and I dig a shallow Barber half. 1907. O my this place is going to be sweet. I order him a Euro ten Pro and he and I go at this place thinking Big!! That barber was the last and only silver we found!!! In fact I only dug a dime and a couple of pennies. He got a clad quarter. Aluminum trash , nails, whats it's. Did get a cool brass small note keeper. You just don't know till you hunt it.
I still marvel at that yard not giving up more than a few clad and one silver half. 1.5 acres, very old house and in town of Mildale right off a main Rd.
Never know.

Back
Top Bottom