Deus users using full tones (beware)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I enjoy running my Deus units in full tones while hunting,,especially relic hunting.
But is full tones necessarily the best to run in all cases???
Can a nonferrous target be missed,,,even a worthy coin???

The answer to the second question above,,,YES.

Deus users I recommend you do the following experiment and similar experiements for understanding.

Take a look at the pic below.
The ruler is in pic to show nail size.
Two nails are pictured,,,but only one was used at a time,,,in the position associated with IH penny.

Deus users using full tones sweeping down the barrel of this nail,,(I used 9" coil btw),,do you think you would dig the coin???

Would I??

IMO I even with as much Deus experience I have,,,,I would give a less than 40 percent chance of digging.

What are the symptoms here with this coin and nail configuration??
You won't get much tone nuance,,little if any to identify,,,,you do get elongated low roar(so near iron grunt) it ain't funny.
Meter reading will amp to and try to read in the mid20s to 30s,,,but the meter reading don't match the sound provided in the least.

Btw I have seen some relic iron (solo buried) do the very same thing here.

So what to do,,,to maybe not miss a find maybe laying in this configuration in an old site???

IMO,,,users would be serving themselves here well,,,if they have an adjacent program setup,,using regular 2 tone or 3 tones setup,,with disc at level between 6-7,,,I used 7 when testing coin with bigger nail,,,nail procided no tone,,dead quiet,,,,but put the coins,,,IH,,zincoln,,or clad dime as shown in pic,,and a good tone to stop you in your tracks.
When in the field using full tones,,you hear a longer signal,,dull sounding,,meter reading in 20s or 30s,,toggle to your adjacent 2 or 3 tone program and sweep and listen.

Thanks for posting. I have a multitone program set up next door to my go-to full tone program, but currently neither of them have any discrimination. I'll try setting the disc to what you suggested on the multitone and do some testing.

:cheers:

Not a fan of full tones, the tones always seem elongated compared to the 3, 4, and 5 tone responses. The 3, 4, and 5 just seem more crisp and what I am used to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have used full tones for a year exclusively, in fact I learned on dues that way.

After some experimenting lately in multi-tones, I must say multi seems hit much harder on tone, and really pop more so, giving a user a more definitive yes or no IMO.

When I first started using the detector I had a lot of trouble telling big iron from a good target. I found that full tones tends to give me a lot more info on the target which helped cut down the amount of iron I was digging.

I have been using multi-tone a little more lately. Still prefer full tones but with multi-tone I have found a few low conductors in areas that I thought I had cleaned out.

I have used full tones for a year exclusively, in fact I learned on dues that way.

After some experimenting lately in multi-tones, I must say multi seems hit much harder on tone, and really pop more so, giving a user a more definitive yes or no IMO.

You try this experiment I showed here.
I guarantee you will see a BIG difference.
Even with coil height increased.

I will try that, I've always valued your opinion on Deus (and in general).

I have several plowed fields, some with little to no iron, some riddled.

I've often wondered what lays masked in the iron, even though I have pulled finds from there, some even quite delicate non ferrous.

And btw,,,since no one asked,,,what I say above about the pic I posted.

Any and all angles of approach,,,,full tones lower disc basically helpless.

Go disc 7 and IH can be hit from all angles in say 2 tone or three tone.

Now I can run full tones disc at 7,, and strike coin.

Last edited:
Will definitely try this test, curious where you're running your tone breaks at on 2 or 3T.

I have never used 2 tone while hunting ever,,,,if I use tones besides full tones,,I use 3 tone.

As far as tone breaks settings,,,the high tone,,I move around some what,,depending on site.

Those IHs can come in lower,,,so got to watch them.
And depending on what freq I'm using,,I assign my tone break for higher tone.

I have never used normalization ON either.

Folks, may not realize this,,,I just have one program loaded into each of my 2 Deus units.
I just go to it,,,and make a few changes,,,don't take long.
I vary settings too in a site,,,especially reactivity and freq.

I'm surprised my remotes are still a humming,,with all the button pushing I've done with using them.

That is why i told Calabash i do not hunt in full tones... I use 5 with a custom tone bin. I mostly hunt in very high iron infested sites and found i was leaving to many targets when i went back behind myself with CTX.

How I initially noticed by not using full tones, that by using multi-tones sometimes works in ones favor.

Not to get off topic but it may be useful to some. I set up a program using extreme neg GB. Im talking -15 GB from actual gnd reading, actually giving the ground the same tone as iron and using tonal discrimination on another set point.

As you can imagine its very chatty but I noticed extreme depth. To quiet things down, I ground notched until it calmed down, runs very quiet, even Gnd N'ing all the way down to 60 with no apparent lose of depth. These are initial observations.

I had thought of starting a thread about this, but still in my initial findings. Im picking small non ferrous at depths I never could before.

Sorry for getting off topic but Ive been wanting to mention this to deus users and can post my settings perhaps sometime in another thread.

How I initially noticed by not using full tones, that by using multi-tones sometimes works in ones favor.

Not to get off topic but it may be useful to some. I set up a program using extreme neg GB. Im talking -15 GB from actual gnd reading, actually giving the ground the same tone as iron and using tonal discrimination on another set point.

As you can imagine its very chatty but I noticed extreme depth. To quiet things down, I ground notched until it calmed down, runs very quiet, even Gnd N'ing all the way down to 60 with no apparent lose of depth. These are initial observations.

I had thought of starting a thread about this, but still in my initial findings. Im picking small non ferrous at depths I never could before.

Sorry for getting off topic but Ive been wanting to mention this to deus users and can post my settings perhaps sometime in another thread.

I welcome all constructive thoughts on Deus here.
I'm not picky.
I feel like we are all on the same side here.
The enemy is(are) nails,,iron,,and other nuasiance targets.
Anything we can share,,,to fight this enemy-- all good.

I had initially saw someone in Germany use similar settings, and I had really doubted his program and how if any benefits could come from it.

So I went out and purposely buried silver to the point of non detection with the current programs I was using for plowed fields.

I was stunned. Deus is a unique machine, unlocking its capabilities is half the fun.

Well,
I am going to make a statement here concerning Deus.

I have put a bunch of time in with it,,,and some other detectors too.

What makes this detector a standout??? Really when comparing to a lot of other detectors.

Besides the weight,,and being updatable and it's separation, here I think is the Biggy.

Deus unlike other flagships,,,,seems it will perform even when run hot,, sensitivity wise.

Now I'm not saying you won't find some things the detector might slip by when pulling the reins back on it,,but I find it forgiving to use in a lot of sites,,,and it flat out performs.

Great thread as I always was never a fan of full tones but glad you confirmed my beliefs. Some swear by it but I always like to run multi bins and set my own tones, normally 3-4

I hope I didn't mislead folks with the initial post here.

Remember I said full tones may not be the best application for all scenarios.

There are detecting scenarios where full tones and lower disc have advantage vs using more conventional disc settings along with 2 tone, 3 tone, etc

Take a look at this pic.
A clad dime with a nail,,suspended 2" above and off to side of dime.
This dime,,,can be detected with far more coil height using full tones disc between 0-3 vs using say disc levels 5.6-7 along with conventional tone selection.
Actually a big advantage.
Using conventional disc and conventional tone selection,,,dime can be choppy,,horseshoe switching sides,,and be more sweep speed sensitive and resemble iron false.

Here is a question,,to be thought about by all Deus users.
Had you rather hunt in a site behind Deus user who used full tones and low(er) disc,,or had you rather hunt behind Deus user who used conventional disc like 5.9-6.6 with conventional tones???

Is it possible,,that sites need to be hunted using both methods???

Great thread as I always was never a fan of full tones but glad you confirmed my beliefs. Some swear by it but I always like to run multi bins and set my own tones, normally 3-4

Hey Mike,I was just reading Andys book and saw one of your programs mentioned in .it
I have been running full tones while relic hunting with a 5 tone program set up next to it just to double check for iron wrap around. this set up has worked very well for me.
I just recently started using my other Deus set up for coin hunting and have built a program that has just been killing it on depth, digging Wheaties and Indians and even a buff at 10+ " I am now thinking of setting up your program in the slot next to mine and see how that 5 tone works. Did you still dig a lot of nickels with your notch settings in that program? The notch looks like it would definitely knock out a lot of the nuisance targets.

I hope I didn't mislead folks with the initial post here.

Remember I said full tones may not be the best application for all scenarios.

There are detecting scenarios where full tones and lower disc have advantage vs using more conventional disc settings along with 2 tone, 3 tone, etc

Take a look at this pic.
A clad dime with a nail,,suspended 2" above and off to side of dime.
This dime,,,can be detected with far more coil height using full tones disc between 0-3 vs using say disc levels 5.6-7 along with conventional tone selection.
Actually a big advantage.
Using conventional disc and conventional tone selection,,,dime can be choppy,,horseshoe switching sides,,and be more sweep speed sensitive and resemble iron false.

Great Thread TNSS! I love the kind of info that always surfaces in these threads. Hopefully I will have the time this week to get out there in the field and try some of this out.

Back
Top Bottom