Twelve years in a row...

I have never had it but I think I have been in it so I don't think it affects me.
Funny plant, Egyptians would coat some of their buried objects with concentrated oil and thousands of years later when archeologists touched it they got a rash.

Some people are affected and some are not at all...as we age this can flip for both types at any time and scientists and biologists don't know why or how it happens.

Never seen poison sumac in person...

It's supposed to be around here, but is supposed to only exist in the wettest, lowest, swampy brush ridden areas..

<°)))>{

Hmmm, I wonder if this is what I ran into over the weekend? I was clearing brush along the creek side of my property.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is what I ran into over the weekend? I was clearing brush along the creek side of my property.

I've never seen Poison Sumac either, I keep an eye out for these kinds of things...and like Ice said, I've been outdoors a lot...all over Ohio where you live Bruin, lots of PI there though...lots and lots down along those creek bottoms, like Knee deep!...Stinging nettle too along those creek bottoms and floodplains...you ever walk through a patch of that with shorts on...MAN!

None of that has ever bothered me. I'm lucky I guess because I grew up on a farm. My boss had me clearing a bunch of weeds and vines from the side of our building. Later he said that that he hadn't done it because the poison ivy bothered him. I never pay any attention to it and used to get in trouble in the Army because when on point, i would lead the men right through it. That and not weighing much i would walk across muddy ground that they would sink into. I told them if they didn't like it to put someone else on point.

I haven't had PI since I was a kid growing up in Indiana. But several years ago my wife asked me to remove a yucca plant from the front yard and man that stuff was toxic. Anywhere the juice touched bare skin was like dipping it in acid. It burned, turned red, and burned. Did I mention it burned? I never felt anything like that before. Luckily it only lasted a couple of days.

During one of my trips to Amish Country in Ohio to hunt groundhogs I spent about 45 minutes laying on the ground waiting for an Old whistle pig to raise his head so I could get a shot. I did not see any poison vines in the area.

Next morning I was a solid blister from my chin to my belt. Went to a MD and he prescribed a steroid cream "Lidex" and it took care of the problem in very short order.

Probably not along a creek. It is a denizen of swamps and bogs. You would know if you had sumac. It is way worse than poison ivy. Poison ivy grows along the sides of roads, at the edge of brush. No place where it is direct sunlight all day. I use to think Poison Ivy as something you got in the woods. And now, when I go out for a walk, I see it everywhere along the roads.

Back
Top Bottom