Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Default Vaquero?

I have been told that the threshold and manual ground balance only work in the all metal mode and not the disc mode. Is this correct? If so, what real good are they as most people will have at least some disc set 90%+ of the time won't they? Why not just use a Silver UMax?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Elite Member

Smile

I can't even spell "Tesoro", but I do know that they are considered "silent search" machines. That means no threshold in disc mode to me.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to ground balance it in AM mode. I don't know any other way.

Perhaps, Ski will come along and straighten us both out.

"There remains a finite number of straws that can be placed on a camel's back."

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

Yes you ground balance a vaquero in all metal mode. Set your sensitivity to 8-9, your mode to all metal, adjust your threshold, then adjust your ground balance.
I don't see the problem. Once the ground balance is set in all metal mode, is it not still balanced when you switch to discrimination mode?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rebel View post
I have been told that the threshold and manual ground balance only work in the all metal mode and not the disc mode. Is this correct? If so, what real good are they as most people will have at least some disc set 90%+ of the time won't they? Why not just use a Silver UMax?
Usually that is how it works.

The all metal, non-motion, channel is electrically what we call DC coupled (that is why it works without needing coil movement and why it is sometimes called the DC channel). As such, it needs ground balancing to avoid it creating an offset signal.

The discriminate channel normally goes through some electronic filtering to separate the target signal from the ground matrix signal. In this filtering process the signal becomes AC coupled to the downstream electronics. Another way of saying this is that slowly varying signals can't get through the filters. This is also why discrimination requires constant coil motion. So, since the discriminate channel is AC coupled, it doesn't need to be balanced against the ground since the ground signal is pretty slow changing and can't get through the AC coupled filters.

Sorry if the above is still too complex. I tried to make it as simple as I could without getting into filter theory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Default Thanks to evryone

that has replied.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

I believe that the ground balance on the Vaquero is tied in with the all metal and the disc. mode. Threshold is an aid to help pinpoint and if you turn the threshold up all the way it is called "super tune" (Tesoro talk) which give some extra depth. Steve.