Digging tool / shovel length for a short person

culcuhain

looking to get a better digging tools / shovelfor metal detecting. I am 5'6" and have a bad back and knees so I don't want to dig on the ground or be all hunched over. What length tool would you all suggest? Thanks!

I would go to a hardware store and try different sizes and see what you like for sizes. In the end of it all, you're going to be bending over to pick things up, do keep that in mind. I personally prefer a short shovel, I hike to my digs so it's easier to carry, but also I just dig from ground level. Gives the legs a break, saves the back.

I still love my Little Eagle from Predator
https://www.predatortools.com/

Last edited:
looking to get a better digging tools / shovelfor metal detecting. I am 5'6" and have a bad back and knees so I don't want to dig on the ground or be all hunched over. What length tool would you all suggest? Thanks!

To minimise bending, I would think the spade handle would need to be at least stomach high.

I'm 6' 2" and have the opposite problem.

My 31" Sampson is a little too short. I think a 38"-40" would be optimal for me.

You should look at the 31" Sampson. My buddy is 5' 8" and it fits him perfectly.

I’m 5’8 and have used my dads 31” Sampson and it’s perfect. I own the 18” mini Sampson for portability though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom