Simpson Springs UT - Odd find

Splix76

This is the first item I have found I know was intentionally buried. Based on the commemorative coin dates of 1980-99, I know this is not too old. However, when I pulled this out from the base of an old dead tree against a cliff my heart was pumping. I was within a mile of the Simpson Springs, UT Pony Express station and at first I thought it could be very old and buried by a courier, then I saw the lettering and knew it was from the 50's or 60's at the oldest.

The Florite meter works perfectly still, and is very good shape. The coin is bronze and worth about $5. Not what I was hoping for, but I will never forget the rush when it first came out of the earth. Maybe next time I will find something much older.

hole.jpg
case.jpg
case_open.jpg
contents.jpg

Great find!!!!!
West Desert was my old stomping grounds in the 70's and 80's. Simpson Springs use to be the only water around some years. Drink it at your own risk.
Did that come from the old station?
I wonder if some student didn't lose that while doing research. Sat down in the limited shade and ended up walking away from it.
Didn't by chance see a Stetson I lost in a windstorm at the station back when? :) Oh well.
J

That is an Odd find.
Had to google "Florite meter" to see what it is.

I bet your heart was racing dig when you dug that out.

Great find!!!!!
West Desert was my old stomping grounds in the 70's and 80's. Simpson Springs use to be the only water around some years. Drink it at your own risk.
I wonder if some student didn't lose that while doing research. Sat down in the limited shade and ended up walking away from it.
Didn't by chance see a Stetson I lost in a windstorm at the station back when? :) Oh well.
J

I didn't find a Stetson or much else but trash. I found a 1980 peso by an old fire pit ring and a buddy found a 1970 Australian coin. Otherwise it was clad from the 70's and 80's and lots of ammo payloads and casings.

I would consider it was walked away from it the commemorative coin had not been in the case. The coins were minted between 1980 and 1999, so it went into the ground no earlier than 1980 and I don't think it would have been so far down so fast. It was around 16-18" down.

Great find!!!!!

No, but it was less than a mile away. There is a little cave / alcove just northeast of the station. This was along that same cliff face about 50 yards north.

Back
Top Bottom