Cashing in the zincs

dirt dick

Elite Member
360887eab695096b43883390c518471d.jpg

About three years of zincs& copper pennies detected & pocket change.
f5021d3186c323b496d8c531a750acac.jpg

2a3796d6ab0dfb2a3735b96d305b8ed3.jpg
4345 of them kept them busy at the credit union[emoji12]
So I stopped at the coin shop down the block, and bought this pretty lady, from 1986 and still had some cash to put in the tank.
0acfb8a28b526abb1ad29575b747e44f.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Cant go wrong with a first year ASE.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I always go through my pennies. I pick out the 1981 and older. Those are copper. I put them in a big jug. The clad ones go to the bank. In 1982 they made 7 varietys of pennies. That was the year they switched over to the clad pennies... KEN

I separate the coppers from the zincs too, but had trouble trying to determine which one it is. Before 1982 and after 1982 is easy but they made different kinds in 1982, plus with age, it's not as easy to see those little dates. Then I figured it out so here is a hint for anybody else who separates pennies : Get out your Gram scale. Zincs weigh 2.5 grams and coppers weigh 3.0 grams. Never knew that before. Try it and correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have a good ear, you can tell copper from zinc by bouncing them off a hard surface. There is a distinct sound difference between copper and zinc.

I always go through my pennies. I pick out the 1981 and older. Those are copper. I put them in a big jug. The clad ones go to the bank. In 1982 they made 7 varietys of pennies. That was the year they switched over to the clad pennies... KEN

I'm not that much of a "PENNY PINCHER" to separate them :D
But maybe I am a PENNY PINCHER too exchange them for silver :laughing:
On another note,
there was a customer ahead of me in the coin shop,
a guy I went to high school with.
He was selling a zip-loc bag of Mercs he got $50 bucks.
Wish I would have got there sooner......:?:

Great score! I've never separated my pennies but maybe I should start, hell I usually just tumble and roll everything except the pennies :p happy hunting!

Separated all my pennies this winter. I just kept all the 82s. Plus I gathered up all the clad coins I.ve been hoarding for the last 40 years. Gonna run them thru a machine if I ever remember to take them with me. Then buy a. Bunch of silver coins.

Just got to wondering. How do they make money with the coin star machines. Do you get all your money?

no you might only get 85% credit ? of what you put in,
they are a rip off!
The same company that owns RED box dvd videos also owns coin star.
I think its just another way of the new world order to make us a cashless society..........:shock:
I don't wear a tinfoil hat, I have a steel roof on my house, I've order aluminum blinds for my windows from Overstock com :lol:

cool

All adds up me son. My bank got a tad snarky with me last time I took in coins....I just go to a different branch now. Have fun rolling as it is a good winter time project!

Separated all my pennies this winter. I just kept all the 82s. Plus I gathered up all the clad coins I.ve been hoarding for the last 40 years. Gonna run them thru a machine if I ever remember to take them with me. Then buy a. Bunch of silver coins.

Just got to wondering. How do they make money with the coin star machines. Do you get all your money?

they charge i think 9%

Back
Top Bottom