• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New to the forum, help me identify this coin please

BigBarn

Greetings fellow detectorists. I am new to the forum and wanted to get right into it. I am located in Fayetteville NC and have been detecting near the Cape Fear River. Can anyone help me identify this coin? Should I clean it a little more? The quarter is for comparison and is slightly smaller than the coin. The perspective is a little odd.
Thanks,

Attachments

• Coin1.jpg
    Coin1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 627
  • Coin2.jpg
    Coin2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 593
If you turn in 90 degrees clockwise you will see a left facing bust.

Top one is a clad quarter. Sorry couldn't resist...
LOL. I was told to give a size comparison. The greenish tinge makes me think it is copper. Ulysses Grant was supposedly marching and camping in this area. Any ideas?

It definitely is a left facing bust on the front. Cant see anything on the back. Got a better close-up?

On a KG II copper, the bust faces to the left, I believe.

I'm going hazard a guess and say it's a KG II farthing. 1727-1760.

Sometimes after getting it damp and giving it a dusting of baby powder the cracks and grooves will get filled in a bit . May give you a few more features to make it more recognizable.
Be careful ! You do not want to clean a potential valuble coin , I find water and copper don't mix . Old nickels also. Just dust the dirt off with a soft tooth brush dry . Leaving the dirt in the cracks and you will have a better chance to keep the features as recognizable as possible and it will not damage the coin in case it's something special and needs professional attention.
The powder trick works good if you already cleaned it with water and scrubbed it . The dry soft brushing works best after the dirt drys a bit when you get the coin home ,
Try the powder and re post . These guys are great at picking out a few key features and will help you ID that old copper.
, hope this helps , Dew

on the larger picture of the coin I can see what looks like the tip of the spear on a KG II at the 5 oclock position.

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:welcome2:

Could you post some more pictures? Dew is right.. the baby power may help you out. But it is your coin your call. I do what would cause most coin collectors to cry to get dates off nickels :D but im never going to sell them and i want the date!

On a KG II copper, the bust faces to the left, I believe.

I'm going hazard a guess and say it's a KG II farthing. 1727-1760.

That's a good hazardous guess. If the orientation is the same on the obverse side the. It looks like the date line is there going from 4 o'clock ish to 7 o'clock ish... That would be super cool to find that in Virginia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom