anyone else dislike headphones?

detectingMO

Forum Supporter
I'd loved to use them all the time but honestly I can't stand having them on my head and typically hunt without. I hear pretty well so as far as detecting it hasn't been an issue of missing something. I just can't stand something on my head or in my ear. :( I'm sure I'll have to get over this eventually. Glad I don't need glasses or wouldn't wear those either. I'm optimistic a pro pointer will change this for me since I won't have to rely on my detector as much checking my hole/plug. We'll see.

I HATE my headphones, they are necessary, but man I hate that cord! I've almost cut the cord in two multiple times, the cord has gotten hung up on branches etc, and sometimes when I stand up after digging and my detector is on the ground, I almost rip the headphones off my head! LOL

I know, go wireless...lol

i'm not a big fan of headphones either. i'll wear them occasionally, but i tend to go with earbuds most of the time. smaller, lightweight, i can still hear things around me reasonably well, they're much cooler to wear in the hot weather and i can still hear all the little beeps i wanna hear from the 'tector. :yes:

headphones: are hot, they clash with my glasses, they'll clash with a hat, they don't fit in a pocket very easily, they eliminate too much outside sound for my liking. and unlike my earbuds, they'll make a heck of a sound in the washing machine when i forget to take them out of my pocket to do laundry. :laughing::laughing: (my buds actually survived both the wash and rinse cycles!) :shock::lol:

Pete

You'll never reach your full potential if you don't use decent headphones, and for those that disagree, it's because you don't use em, and therefore can't understand. It also depends some on the detector because some units offer much more info. in the sound than others and decent headphone let you take advantage of that. Using no headphone, or bad ones, basically makes the detector do all the work and puts your ears at a disadvantage.... and detecting is so much about training ones ears to their unit. The only negative thing about headphones is how hot they can get in the warm weather, but to me it's still worth it. I just need extra water to soak my head every once in a while.

I have switched to waterproof earbuds by Philips. They cost me $20 and in my opinion have equal sound quality to my Grey Ghosts and better than my Killer Bees Wasp. They have rubber channels that funnel sound directly into your ear drum. They are amazing with Minelab Explorer/Etrac/CTX tones, very bassy in the low end and the silver highs sound crystal clear. Suprised the heck out of me, I was just looking for summertime waterproof headphones for my iPod for runs, but find out they work at least as good if not better than my $100 Grey Ghosts. They are so much lighter and cooler to wear in the summer!

When the weather gets cooler I will go back to the GG but only to keep my ears warm.

Worst part is the cord gets tangled easily, but using the wireless module in the CTX it's a non-issue.

In the winter they may provide better sound than my Grey Ghosts because they can be worn under my winter hat instead of over like the GG.

Best part is they shut off the external speaker on the CTX3030 and work just as good on my Etrac!

so far listening close when I have a target I can tell differences in how hard a tone hits and have a pretty good feel for it. Yes, when its noisy out I'm forced to use the headphones to hear the subtle information the tones tell me but that doesn't make them any less annoying to use! :laughing:

It's amazing how much the F2 tells you when you combine tone changes and vdi. Sure it's not etrac amazing but I feel 100% confident going up against anything else 0-10". :yes: (in my soil)

RF theory is the same for detectors as anything else. Every location/environment is different just have figure out what it's telling you.

Not sure. I wore them once and they were nice but then my kids couldn't hear the beeps.

You can still hear things without them if you're in a relatively quiet area but you are still missing the clarity and real faint signals. If you don't like being tethered, there are some decent wireless options available. While these may not be as good as the better quality wired headphones, it's better than going without them. Same as earbuds, not as good, but better than without.

If I don't have my headphones I won't hunt. I agree with Iron Patch 100%. People that don't use headphones are not detecting to their full potential. And I think it is rude as hell to broadcast beeps to people that don't want to hear them.

Hate the wire most, and having to take them off for best use of pinpointer.

My Ace 250 blast through the internal speaker... The ATP you can barely hear.

Have always used headphones.

I prefer to go without HPs by animal nature...gimme the natural world's sounds AND the tones, unfiltered. That is what makes getting out into the hunt for me. As far as losing potential by not using them, well if you are talking about maybe not hearing really deep whisper signals, then I'll likely pass and never dig those anyway since the iron and minerals feedback even threatens the medium desired signal tones. Mainly though, if my good ears and the V3i hasn't been whispering loudly enough for me to dig 8" coins semi regularly(and it hasn't), then getting 10-11" whispers isn't of a lot of interest with the clutter in this areas ground. It ain't worth it for me to take the time and physical effort, so headphones has no allure in that aspect for me here in N. Texas.

I also don't blare tones out of the speaker, it's dampened in the volume settings. If those mild beeps bother someone, then they have the problem. I wear them when I run the M6 though, it is loud. I am getting used to HPs a lot more. martin

If you beach hunt you will want all the advantage headphones can offer.I'll even tape over the drain holes to reduce noise.Plus you can pretend not to hear someone asking questions:laughing: You don't ever want to detect without headphones on the beach as a courtesy to others.

I don't like headphones because it's so hot here in Texas. I also don't like how they cancel out a lot of the background noise. I go hunting in some pretty sketchy areas because they've been around since the 1940's and that's where the silver is. I don't like people sneaking up on me without being able to hear them.

The day my headphones finally died from the broken wires from all the times I had snagged it was when I realized how impossible it was to hunt without them. I was just in a totlot but still I missed teh little nuisances in the sound of the F2 that told me what was coins and what was junk. To me it was pointless to continue hunting without them. I wish radio shack still carried the wireless headphones though because I am tired of ripping headphones off my head everytime I snag the cord.

I wear them. Mostly because I don't want anyone knowing when I get a hit and my Ace 350 doesn't have a volume control, only on the headphones. I do turn them up and wear them around my neck sometimes when it is really hot or I don't want them holding my hat to the side of my head. The cord om mine are long enough that I can lay the machine on the ground and stand up without them being pulled off.

You'll never reach your full potential if you don't use decent headphones, and for those that disagree, it's because you don't use em, and therefore can't understand. It also depends some on the detector because some units offer much more info. in the sound than others and decent headphone let you take advantage of that. Using no headphone, or bad ones, basically makes the detector do all the work and puts your ears at a disadvantage.... and detecting is so much about training ones ears to their unit. The only negative thing about headphones is how hot they can get in the warm weather, but to me it's still worth it. I just need extra water to soak my head every once in a while.
I agree 100% with everything you said, the only thing I don't do is soak my head :laughing:.

I just started using ear buds and find the sound to be as good as my Koss head phones. The CTX has a wireless receiver that I clip onto my shirt collar on the back of my neck. This combination has been perfect. When at the beach, I still use my waterproof headphones but it is not as hot there. Headphones/earbuds definitely make a positive difference in what you can find.

fed up with headphones { Solution}

My solution to the headphones getting ripped of and cord in the way all the time is Add more cord. Go to radio shack and buy an ext cord that fits between your detector and your headphone jack and hook a small clothespin type clamp at the connection , then clip it behind your back near your belt this keeps all the cord behind you! Big Big improvement!! you can even stand or dig with your detector on the ground and not get hung.

Back
Top Bottom