First Silver, and it's BIG!

KirkS

Went to the sports park around the corner tonight to grab some clad, and hopefully some gold. No gold, but decent clad, a bracelet charm (kids), and other bits and bobs.

I was following the soccer field perimeter, as the parents tend to sit there, and about 3/4 of the way around, got what I thought was a quarter signal, and the Explorer was saying about 1-2". Hit it with the TRX, but no surface signal, so I popped a plug, and about 5" down, I found what appeared to be a large token. It's about 12:30am, and dark, and all I could see was a big brown disk with some unrecognizable detail. I've found a couple of soccer related medals at this park, so I figured it was something along those lines.

Get back to the car, and decided to have a closer look. Well I'll be!

It's a 1939 Canada $1 silver!

That's my first silver coin, and it's my second oldest (1896 IHP the other day). So far, 3 of my 5 oldest coins are Canadian (1939, 1940, 1944), which I find to be kind of weird.

Attachments

• IMG_0229 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0229 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0232 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0232 (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 473
Haha! Presents from the Snowbirds of Canada. Those are from the guys in speedos on the beach in January and February when you've got your coat on. :laughing: Great find! HH

Last edited:
WOW! Thats so great Kirk! So you are now a member of the 'Silver Dollar Club!' Thats one helluva unique and out of the way find there! In Florida!...Evidently, you tripped into an ancient Canadian Winter Nesting rookery? It was a big chore to get from Canada to Florida back in those days...

Good Job! Clean that baby up and lets have another look!

Thanks everyone!

I'm still scratching my head how it got there. The park wasn't put in until the late '40's or eraly 50's, and the coin wasn't deep enough to have been there a very long time. I can only guess that it was brought in with fill dirt, or was dropped by someone who had it in a collection of sorts. There was a golf course about 1/2 mile decades ago, and a small airstrip that was abandoned in the mid 30's, but those don't seem likely.

In any case, I'm happy with my find!

Now that's a big WOW find! Big Congrats! I'm wondering if you should clean it or not. It looks unusual and nice the way it is.

beephead

Thanks everyone!

I'm still scratching my head how it got there. The park wasn't put in until the late '40's or eraly 50's, and the coin wasn't deep enough to have been there a very long time. I can only guess that it was brought in with fill dirt, or was dropped by someone who had it in a collection of sorts. There was a golf course about 1/2 mile decades ago, and a small airstrip that was abandoned in the mid 30's, but those don't seem likely.

In any case, I'm happy with my find!

Any WW2 training sites in the area? A lot of folks from the RAF and its branches learned to fly in the Southeast. One of the lads might have brought it with him .......

That's a great first silver coin!
At least the snowbirds bring some good stuff.
Canadian silver is better than a traffic jam.

Noah

Back
Top Bottom