EQ and scoops

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Ok....... will we have a new challenge? I use a scoop with 1/2 holes and have to chase a few targets using the Xcal and CTX. Will the new EQ make us rethink some things? My challenges are .... rotating beaches, some have shells that dont clear thru 1/2 holes and some have 50 cal WWII tiny brass pieces you have to chase. Options....... Chucks scoop with slits.. obviously going to collect more shells..... sifter which i hate to pull along..... plus maybe a waterproof PPer. I dont see my method changing in the wet sand or dry...... dig and kick..... then re-PP with the machine. But like most of you know those very small pieces of round punched out pieces can really challenge the eyes.:lol:

I use the 720i hybrid scoop and when I know it's a small piece that's falling through I'll scoop and sift vertically so that its all the smaller holes of the hybrid and almost every time I'll catch the small piece. In the wet sand I have found that my fingers will feel and find the the small item probably better than my eyes so that's what I do. Whats a PITA for me is when I do dry sand I use a different scoop and there are no small holes in it. The small aluminum rivet punch outs from beach loungers always are difficult since they fall through.

We have a lot of Zebra Mussels to contend with here, so I built this scoop to for this specific purpose...wide open top, so on a dig, you can pump it underwater 3 or 4 times, the sand and smalls fall through the holes, and the shells float out the top....any good stuff is left in the scoop....

Attachments

• scoop 1.jpg
    scoop 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 381
I think it depends on the hunting mode. The "beach" mode is a multi-freq with frequencies adjust down to either the mid or low end of the range. I think its going to be a great, stable, water hunter but I don't see it pulling the tiny gold in that scenario.

Using a single high freq up on the sand could leave us chasing tiny bits that fall through the holes.

I have mixed feelings on tiny holed scoops. Yes it will hold the smaller targets, but it makes if a lot harder to sift. My old scoop had 1/8" mesh inside to hold small targets but that mesh made it a LOT harder to sift out sand and then you had to deal with tony of tiny coral and shell bits.

Ok....... will we have a new challenge? I use a scoop with 1/2 holes and have to chase a few targets using the Xcal and CTX. Will the new EQ make us rethink some things? My challenges are .... rotating beaches, some have shells that dont clear thru 1/2 holes and some have 50 cal WWII tiny brass pieces you have to chase. Options....... Chucks scoop with slits.. obviously going to collect more shells..... sifter which i hate to pull along..... plus maybe a waterproof PPer. I dont see my method changing in the wet sand or dry...... dig and kick..... then re-PP with the machine. But like most of you know those very small pieces of round punched out pieces can really challenge the eyes.:lol:

I was talking with Chuck... guess I am going to have to get one of his sugar sand scoops because I hate leaving any targets in the water... I find a lot of shotgun pellets and 22 cal bullets that tend to fall out before I can get them to my sifter.

http://www.stealthscoop.com/720i.html

Or you can have a situation like I did recently. Scooped, checked the hole, nothing. Nothing in the scoop. Dumped the scoop. Checked the scoop load and it was there. Looked, pushed around the shells, nothing. Kept pushing the tone along the beach with my foot. Come to find out it was a damn pulltab stuck inside a large shell.

Its sort of hard to describe, but a guy can definitely feel and hear a gold ring clunking around inside a scoop, even with the headphones on.......you dont ever hear a pulltab, splitshot, rivets, coins, or miscellaneous bullcrap...damndest thing though, you can FEEL and HEAR a gold ring rattling around inside a scoop...

..a guy dont want to get hopes up though...those damn tungstens, cobalts, Stainless Steelies!!....:mad:

I was talking with Chuck... guess I am going to have to get one of his sugar sand scoops because I hate leaving any targets in the water... I find a lot of shotgun pellets and 22 cal bullets that tend to fall out before I can get them to my sifter.

http://www.stealthscoop.com/720i.html

Those tiny things, I've found, if I take a huge scoop, and bring it up slowly (keeping it level) so not much can work out, its still in my scoop when I dump it...

<°)))>{

I do have one of the Stealth Hybrids though and even though it has the smaller openings in the bottom you still have to handle a scoop full delicately or that small target will flow out the sides. Not an easy thing to do. I wish they made the smaller hole section a bit bigger. Not sure if that's possible or not.

Heres also a take on it Jason........The targets may not be smaller. Some gold targets are larger and wont fall thru the scoop.... youd be surprised how large of a hollow gold earring made in a C not closeting you just arent finding with the CTX even. NOW..... i may have to hunt differently for those high tone items like brass. I may just skip some of the higher stuff for awhile.... even eveything above a penny... just to see the out come. Good test with a friend. I dont believe we will miss a thing the Xcal and FBS hits on thats gold..... we may even be impressed.

Alpo..... if i find myself loosing or chasing to much i maybe on that NEW scoop list too lol. Well next time i see ya out there ill have to take a look at that scoop.

Dew

I ordered one of the Ukraine knockoffs a week ago. Maybe ill need a smaller holed knock off? Some of that stuff if I dig it a couple times and it goes through I move on. A gold earring back is like digging about a quarter in value. In other words you leave the small stuff and on the way out cherry pick some quarters and you made more than finding an earring back.

I use the 720i hybrid scoop and when I know it's a small piece that's falling through I'll scoop and sift vertically so that its all the smaller holes of the hybrid and almost every time I'll catch the small piece. In the wet sand I have found that my fingers will feel and find the the small item probably better than my eyes so that's what I do. Whats a PITA for me is when I do dry sand I use a different scoop and there are no small holes in it. The small aluminum rivet punch outs from beach loungers always are difficult since they fall through.

Like Felix I also use a 7201 Hybrid scoop and pretty much do the same. Another thought is, "if its fallin thru the scoop 1/2 holes its not a ring, chain or any such other - ignore it". But then again that's just me

Anything that falls through a scoop I ignore. I don't bother trying to chase anything down, I do hit the same spots diving though and in fanning I pick up some very small objects. Small brass washers, split shot, silver beads from a broken necklace, brass valve stem covers. I have found little gold also but not because it set my machine off. Only because it was in the same vicinity of another target I was fanning for and I saw it.

Cfm-ct

Original SugarSand scoops , the entire bottom is 1/4 inch holes, as the small valuable's do not escape from the lip to the back of the bucket - pick below, i will be using them this year, they work well in my area, i don't think so , in your area :laughing: best for Florida's Sugar Sand beaches, i want to add here, that i like all my SunSpot scoop's-- to clear the AIR, that's why i own 4, i just like the preference of using any scoop i choose, i look forward to see all manufacturer's scoop's- that they- develop, a variety to choose from , not just 1 source- is a plus for all beach - water hunter's the way i see it , The 2nd pick, 2 of the 3 scoops shown are the Original Sugar Sand scoops , which are 90 degree, but- with hybrid handles -with the 20 degree bend in the handle, were the CF insert's are applied- at the bend point, i since re- enforced the handles for long term use with fiberglass cloth wrap, and waterproof epoxy , for longevity , hopefully they will last the life of the head, as i will really be using them since i moved to the beach , i have many scoop's i can use in rotation now, and most likely i won't need to purchase another scoop in my lifetime , except maybe one dry sand- smaller scoop - fast drainage type, the last pick i mod-ed all three of the scoops in the picture with a large foot pad the fits my foot, a simple bolt on to the original foot pad, thanks everyone, hope 2018 bring's you Gold, and Silver, happy hunting, Earl

Attachments

• 20111005_5.JPG
    20111005_5.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 235
  • P1000134.JPG
    P1000134.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Sunspot foot plate MOD 001.JPG
    Sunspot foot plate MOD 001.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
What are you worried about Dew? you know what teny tiny gold sounds like,,,,if it ain't gold, don't chase it,,,,,,,,:laughing:GL HH

Tim ...... you know better than that buddy...... we chase anything that aint iron.:laughing: I agree.... much like the tone of a good ring, that clink in the scoop is distinct. Same with dropping a ring on concrete..... you just know without testing..... when its say SS.

Back
Top Bottom