Outta Action Til Christmas (sorta)

Numil

Elite Member
Well BXLarry posted a thread so I thought I'd share as well. MD all summer and Fall with a shoulder that was getting worse and worse. Finally say a doctor who MRI'd it and said "you've got a badly torn rotator cuff". Well I knew something was wrong as I had the other shoulder fix for the same problem 10 yrs ago.

I detected right up to the day of the surgery since I figured I'd be out of action for several weeks. Had the surgery done last week and after 1 day thru away the pain meds. Doc says it will be Christmas or next year before I can get full use back. There is one glimmer of hope though... he says if I can figure out how to MD and dig one-handed then I'd be good to go. I got a short handle scoop I can out on my belt and figure that I can hit wet and dry sand till I'm up to full power. Only other thing I got to solve is getting past the wife. She worries about me which is a good thing but sometimes....

Praying for a full and speedy recovery! Hope you'll soon master the art of one-handed detecting. :waytogo:

Might try asking your wife to come along and do either the digging or swinging. My wife came along one afternoon to do the digging and the first target was a gold ring. Needless to say, but it was hers. It made for an enjoyable time and dinner afterwards. We also went out with a camera and recorded other detectorist enjoying the hobby.

Oh brother do we have something in common...had my R shoulder fixed in mid March. My left on Nov 9th. Still in my sling. 4 anchors holding down my Supraspinatus plus a bicep tenodesis. Yah for us!:cheer:

Have fun in PT.

I use the Detector Pro buddy harness on all my detectors no matter how light they are.

I have one harness and I made 15 lower connect harnesses and just leave them on my other detectors.

It's not so much the weight but the constant motion that does the damage.

Dude! Condolences! I bet if you think hard enough, you can tape your rig to a divebelt, and sort of waddle along in the shallows with a pasta strainer?? Sell your scoop and just get a fry baby strainer at Sams Club! Skim freshies!

You are in Hawaii for Jebuss sakes~! Just slow down and go skim for the freshies! Soaking in Warm salt water is good for injuries...You can figure this out!..a Guy dont really need their arms..just their ears....

Welcome to the shoulder surgery club. I had my entire left ACL joint rebuilt a couple years back. It's never been the same since. My rotator cuff on the right arm was starting to bother me but luckily it's hunting season, coupled with a lot of rain so I haven't been able to detect and the shoulder is healing. Between years of baseball (pitching) and playing football, it's amazing I haven't had to have surgery on the right on already.

Do not rush coming back to detecting. Let the shoulder heal properly of you'll regret it. My surgeon said I didn't need PT b/c it was healing well. I wish I had gotten a second opinion b/c my left shoulder is just weak now. That's the only way to describe it.

Praying for a full and speedy recovery! Hope you'll soon master the art of one-handed detecting. :waytogo:

Thanks Princess I plan give it a go this long holiday weekend

Might try asking your wife to come along and do either the digging or swinging. My wife came along one afternoon to do the digging and the first target was a gold ring. Needless to say, but it was hers. It made for an enjoyable time and dinner afterwards. We also went out with a camera and recorded other detectorist enjoying the hobby.

You know the thought of having the wife do the digging did occur to me! But so did the abuse I'd have to endure about how I shouldn't be out there in the first place. Oh well....

Get well soon Numil!!!

THanks Worm! I plan to

Oh brother do we have something in common...had my R shoulder fixed in mid March. My left on Nov 9th. Still in my sling. 4 anchors holding down my Supraspinatus plus a bicep tenodesis. Yah for us!:cheer:

Have fun in PT.

Thanks Aquaman... yea I feel your pain. had my right shoulder repaired about 10 years ago now the left one is healing up nicely. Same doc did both surgerys.

As to PT I already have Helga the Mistress of Pain lined up. I think that's worse than the pain of surgery

I use the Detector Pro buddy harness on all my detectors no matter how light they are.

I have one harness and I made 15 lower connect harnesses and just leave them on my other detectors.

It's not so much the weight but the constant motion that does the damage.

I'll have to look at that. Thanks for the advice!

Dude! Condolences! I bet if you think hard enough, you can tape your rig to a divebelt, and sort of waddle along in the shallows with a pasta strainer?? Sell your scoop and just get a fry baby strainer at Sams Club! Skim freshies!

You are in Hawaii for Jebuss sakes~! Just slow down and go skim for the freshies! Soaking in Warm salt water is good for injuries...You can figure this out!..a Guy dont really need their arms..just their ears....

Between now and getting back to 2-handed hunting that's pretty much the plan. I have a lite weight short handle scoop, put a carbon fiber shaft on my NOX 800 and will stick to dry/wet sand. Will pretty much be recent drops I'll be digging for the next month or so.

Welcome to the shoulder surgery club. I had my entire left ACL joint rebuilt a couple years back. It's never been the same since. My rotator cuff on the right arm was starting to bother me but luckily it's hunting season, coupled with a lot of rain so I haven't been able to detect and the shoulder is healing. Between years of baseball (pitching) and playing football, it's amazing I haven't had to have surgery on the right on already.

Do not rush coming back to detecting. Let the shoulder heal properly of you'll regret it. My surgeon said I didn't need PT b/c it was healing well. I wish I had gotten a second opinion b/c my left shoulder is just weak now. That's the only way to describe it.

Thanks Swing, yea that's pretty much the plan. Take it easy let it heal up and dont stress the damaged parts until they can deal with it. This is my 2nd shoulder surgery (had the right one done 10 yrs ago) and that's still going strong.

he says if I can figure out how to MD and dig one-handed then I'd be good to go.

Only other thing I got to solve is getting past the wife. She worries about me which is a good thing but sometimes....

Sorry to hear it, but it sounds like you're back in action in mid-winter. I dig one-handed all the time! Sweep right, dig left, sweep right, dig left! :laughing:

And... uh... good luck with that wife thing... "happy wife, happy life!" 🤔

R5

Sorry to hear that man, I have shoulder issues as well and it can be terrible sometimes if I just sleep wrong.

I've been considering on of these myself...

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 99
Well BXLarry posted a thread so I thought I'd share as well. MD all summer and Fall with a shoulder that was getting worse and worse. Finally say a doctor who MRI'd it and said "you've got a badly torn rotator cuff". Well I knew something was wrong as I had the other shoulder fix for the same problem 10 yrs ago.

I detected right up to the day of the surgery since I figured I'd be out of action for several weeks. Had the surgery done last week and after 1 day thru away the pain meds. Doc says it will be Christmas or next year before I can get full use back. There is one glimmer of hope though... he says if I can figure out how to MD and dig one-handed then I'd be good to go. I got a short handle scoop I can out on my belt and figure that I can hit wet and dry sand till I'm up to full power. Only other thing I got to solve is getting past the wife. She worries about me which is a good thing but sometimes....

Take the wife with you . She can dig. :D

Back
Top Bottom