Should I or Shouldn't I

I will disagree with the naysayers who say it is ruined. In my opinion it was already ruined from being in the ground 150 Plus years. Occasionally you we see a brass or copper coin beat the odds and look ( and be ) fantasic dug up but that isnt the case here. Also a silver coin might have me thinking otherwise but again that isnt the case here.

Quite frankly most of us have dug up coins that when dirt coverered look great and show lots of detail...a little soap and water or even just water and they look worse. Often dirt can provide a great contrast to bring out what features are left on the coin. But it is still just a dirty coin.

People often yap about having a coin professionally cleaned but you seldom hear them mention the cost vs what the coins top value would be if it were professionally cleaned.

I imagine the cost of having your coin cleaned professionally would far exceed the value of the finished product.

Regardless I think it looks fine. It was never going to be a high grade coin..at least now it looks closer to its real condition.

If it were me I probably would have used water and a toothbrush and nothing else.

On a side note if you liked the old look better you could probably make it a ' better ` version of the previous look by simply getting it dirty again.

Hey Encrusted, thats not a bad idea.
Those scans don't give this coin justice. You can still see a little patina under natural light. So, How do I bring out this patina? Soak it in tap water, bury it, chemically treat it, any ideas?

:no:
doesnt anyone think it will be worth more if it was cleaned?

NO

Coin cleaning is every collector's nightmare, and every single one of them have dozens of stories about people who have brought them coins after making them look nice and pretty.

And ended up knocking their VALUE down in the dirt.

DON'T DO IT

This cleaning buisness is so tricky it seems, I know that coins that are cleaned like silver loose about 90% of the value. I have read so many posts on how to clean your find so many actually I have decited not to clean any of my finds. Only cold water. I understand the tumbler works with clad very well but as I dont have any here in Iceland I dont need to own one. I would have left this uncleaned but this is something you have to learn from by making the tests I guess.

Siggi

Back
Top Bottom