I did the Mr.Bill mod!!!!!

By the way of anyone ever happens to see this MD I did for my Dad let me know please. I would love to buy it off of who ever has it. It was stolen out of my dads garage and most likely pawned. I don't care about it being stolen and never even reported it stolen I have no serial numbers etc so proving it would be impossible. I'm sure the current owner has no clue it was stolen and I just want a chance to buy it back for sentimental reasons.

Should not be hard for someone to spot with those striking red knobs.
Bummer that stuff like this goes on. Thanks again for clarification.

Wingryder

Anyone know why VR1 only uses 2 wires?

I'm not positive why but when you remove the OEM pot off the board you can clearly see that two of the solder tabs are connected by the traces on the board. One wire goes to one end pin on your new pot. The other wire goes to both the center and other end pin.

I'm not positive why but when you remove the OEM pot off the board you can clearly see that two of the solder tabs are connected by the traces on the board. One wire goes to one end pin on your new pot. The other wire goes to both the center and other end pin.

Ah, did not look at the traces yet. Should be clear from what you say. Thanks and ignore my IM!

All done, but now.. How do you "Properly set the GEB and adjust the threshold in AM mode? Seems like the GEB pot and Threshold need to be adjusted together.. Was moving coil up and down in AM mode and making small adjustments to the attempt to get the threshold steady and not respond in when moved closer or farther away from the ground. Any tips?

I also added a pot for a fully adjustable SAT which also play in to things. I just left it at the fast setting which uses the original resistor.

I did not really use this prior to doing the mods other than swing over a couple of coins...

All done, but now.. How do you "Properly set the GEB and adjust the threshold in AM mode? Seems like the GEB pot and Threshold need to be adjusted together.. Was moving coil up and down in AM mode and making small adjustments to the attempt to get the threshold steady and not respond in when moved closer or farther away from the ground. Any tips?

I also added a pot for a fully adjustable SAT which also play in to things. I just left it at the fast setting which uses the original resistor.

I did not really use this prior to doing the mods other than swing over a couple of coins...
You put the detector in all metal mode, adjust the threshold to a slight hum than adjust the ground balance while bobbing the coil up & down over a clean spot of ground.

You put the detector in all metal mode, adjust the threshold to a slight hum than adjust the ground balance while bobbing the coil up & down over a clean spot of ground.

Thanks, I did finally get the hang of it. Also figured out you can mount the box in the back under the arm. Fantastically light to swing like this so will have to add one more modifications and put a push button pinpoint button on the shaft in front of the grip.

Thinking about selling this as there are apparently folks that like these.. hope I don't like it after all..

Not sure what is normal but right now in the house it is air testing a quarter solid at 6" weakly at 8" and intermittently with a faster movement at 9"
Is this good or bad for this unit after the mods

Hey All,
I just got done with the Mr.Bill mod on my dads classic III SL. I must say the board work with unsoldering the pots and resisters was a little tough but I got it done. I added some new knobs to dress it up too. He now has ground balance, treshold, and a S.A.T. Boost toggle switch. I aslo replaced the broken sens/on-off pot. I think the total build was about $14. I gave it a quick test run in the front yard (which has been hunted clean) and everything is working properly. Just need him to get out and play with it for awhile to see how it works for him.I took some pics while doing the mod for all to see.
Fantastic job on this mod. Would you be willing to share the Mod instructions, as I just picked up a Classic III (Working) at a local Pawn shop, for a song (A very short one, at that)!
TIA
Dave,
New Member Whites Classic III and Prizm IV, in South Alabama (Central Baldwin Area)

!!!!

By the way of anyone ever happens to see this MD I did for my Dad let me know please. I would love to buy it off of who ever has it. It was stolen out of my dads garage and most likely pawned. I don't care about it being stolen and never even reported it stolen I have no serial numbers etc so proving it would be impossible. I'm sure the current owner has no clue it was stolen and I just want a chance to buy it back for sentimental reasons.
What a !!!! end to a great story. Hope someone sees it. Until then I will visit your website mdmod.com. Great work!

What a !!!! end to a great story. Hope someone sees it. Until then I will visit your website mdmod.com. Great work!

You know $h!t happens and it it what it is! My dad swings a CTX now so I don't think he misses it much now but it would still be cool to get it back. "Website mdmod.com" ??? Not mine!!!

Classic III Plus with mods

I just posted one for sale in the classifieds along with a Bigfoot and Goldfoot coil.

Joke

You know $h!t happens and it it what it is! My dad swings a CTX now so I don't think he misses it much now but it would still be cool to get it back. "Website mdmod.com" ??? Not mine!!!

mdmod.com would = metal detecting modification.com. I was saying with clean work like that you could start one........:lol:

Hi Guys.

i am new to the forum. i am also in the process of doing this Mod to my Whites classic SL

i have done the ground and threshold mod to the machine and they seem to be working ok. i have yet to add the SAT Mod to it though as i am still waiting for the resistor for that coming. i would like to try and do a variable SAT Mod to mine. i have heard that you can do a variable SAT Mod using a potentiometer. has anyone done this method to theirs. some info on how you would do/put together a variable potentiometer would be much appreciated.

the R24 resistor replacement. i only replaced that resistor with a 1Meg resistor. i read some were that replacing with a higher one than that can make the machine a bit chatty? is that correct. should i stay with the value that i have added. or put a higher one in?

also am i right that after the mod is done you can use other whites blue max series coils on the machine?

thanks in advance guys.

I have done the mods and added the pot to adjust the SAT.

The instructions are:

I know on many you could have what the GMT has,V/SAT. It involves removing a resistor and
putting a potentiometer in its place,mounting it externally. So if your existing SAT resistor is
say,220k,then if you put in a 400k pot you could turn it way down for a faster speed and turn it
way up for an even slower speed than you already have,if needed. Variable Self Adjusting
Threshold-V/SAT! The 400k pot goes 0-400k,400 being the most resistance it can offer,0
being no resistance. Doing this instead of simply replacing the resistor takes the guesswork
out of hoping you have the right resistor for the speed you want. You can basically tune it
infinitely within those parameters.

Attachments

• idxtop1.jpg
    idxtop1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 738
  • idxdne1.jpg
    idxdne1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 720
Back
Top Bottom