Indiana Dunes State Park?

Dodge92

Has anyone detected here recently? All I could find was a 12 year old post - says lots of detectorists were out. Park website says you need permission of the property manager and one comment said the form you need to sign says you need to turn everything you find over at the office. Wondering how that works out? I wasn't expecting to do any beach hunting but this is pretty close to me. Any experiences appreciated.....

Has anyone detected here recently? All I could find was a 12 year old post - says lots of detectorists were out. Park website says you need permission of the property manager and one comment said the form you need to sign says you need to turn everything you find over at the office. Wondering how that works out? I wasn't expecting to do any beach hunting but this is pretty close to me. Any experiences appreciated.....

Have you looked directly at the Indiana State park's website, which no-doubt lists their rules ? Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc... And if so, if it's silent on the issue, then presto : Not disallowed.

And if you say that you DID go to the "park's website", and it says that you "need permission from the kiosk of the park-in-question", then I have a STRONG suspicion of how such minutia/wording made it into that link. Care to take a guess ? It's easy : Sincere md'rs, 10 and 20 yrs. ago, called and showed up at various kiosks asking "Can I ?". So the "pressing question" eventually makes it's way onto an FAQ type thing.

And go figure : Some parks in the state might have sensitive historical themes. While others are innocuous beaches, sandboxes, etc.... So what's the "safe answer" ? To: "Inquire at each one you come to". Which has what effect ? Simple : Legions more md'rs showing up at kiosks asking "Can I ?" And before long, the "pressing question" lands on the Indiana State park's staff archie's desk. And then PRESTO : A new law is born. A giant case of "no one cared till you asked", that takes decades to evolve. I've seen this happen first-hand :mad:

Because put yourself in the shoes of the rank-&-file kiosk worker who gets this question (that perhaps he's never thought of before, nor would he care one iota) : He's got to give an answer, so he picks up his phone and calls his superiors in state capitol. And the ball starts rolling from there.

As far as the "ask each property manager" answer: I have no doubt that, yes, each ranger DOES INDEED have jurisdiction over his particular park. And yes he DOES INDEED have ability to tell you "no" or "scram" (because he thinks you might harm earthworms). But why oh why oh why swat hornet's nests, and put it on his plate as a "pressing decision" before-you-even-start ? For heaven's sakes, if it wasn't forbidden in the first place, then why does this need someone's "princely blessing" before you can do it ? I mean, heck, no one asks "Can I fly frisbees ?", right ? So since when is md'ing so evil that it needs an express "yes" ? :?: Oh I know : It's when 100 of us have shown up asking, so they pass out the easy answer. Which makes its way onto an FAQ, then disseminated throughout the internet, blah blah blah.

It's as if we md'rs can be our own worst enemy !

Example: The "turn over everything you find" nonsense: Well gee, that can be traced to the fact that every park has prohibitions on "harvest and collect", right ? So that no one thinks he can take home the park benches, or start cutting down trees for lumber. Right ? So when the "pressing question" lands on their plate, some genius is sure to think "hmmm, this involves "taking things " (coins, pulltabs, etc...), therefore it falls under this rule. Oh gee, aren't ya glad you asked ? :roll:

And if you say that you DID go to the "park's website", and it says that you "need permission from the kiosk of the park-in-question", then I have a STRONG suspicion of how such minutia/wording made it into that link. Care to take a guess ? It's easy : Sincere md'rs, 10 and 20 yrs. ago, called and showed up at various kiosks asking "Can I ?". So the "pressing question" eventually makes it's way onto an FAQ type thing.

This is the wording from the state park website:

"Metal detectors are allowed on the beach from
September to May, with written permission from the
property manager"

I called the office and an waiting for a call back as to whom the manager is and how to get permission i.e. is it immediate or wait for something mailed to me. I did find a newer post by Glasshopper that mentioned getting permission at the office....

This is the wording from the state park website:

"Metal detectors are allowed on the beach from
September to May, with written permission from the
property manager"

And as I said : Guess how this made it's way on to their website ? And guess how long it's going to be, before various individual property managers tire of having to write out "written permission", and just simply start saying "no" ?

I'll bet you 99% of these "park property managers" never cared less, nor would ever have noticed, nor would ever have given the matter a moment's thought. But then presto, headquarters dreams up this answer to a "pressing question" they keep receiving. And now the "pressing question" fills the manager's requests at each location.

I actually saw one state (Utah) where eventually they just made an over-arching "no md'ing " rule. And in the notice that went out explaining this, they EVEN CITE the reason for this determination. Care to take a guess ? It was because " ... the department receives numerous requests to blah blah blah, therefore this memo will serve to clarify the park's dept. stance on md'ing, blah blah blah". And it goes on to cite dire information. See ? That memo even tells, straight from the horse's mouth, the evolution behind the "pressing need" to make an official stance. :roll:

Again: We md'rs can be our own worst enemy. If you ask me, I'd have simply just gone, and not asked anyone. As long as it's not an obvious historic monument, and seeing as how there's not an express "no md'ing" rule there, then I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares less (until you ask).

Why is it that md'ing is something that has to be "allowed" ? Is it dangerous ? Evil ? No, of course not. I mean, we don't see "allowances " to fly frisbees, right ? (could poke someone's eye out) Fly kites ? Skip stones on the pond ? Etc..... So why does md'ing have places now that think they have to "allow" it ? Oh nevermind, I know how that evolved. :mad:

I wonder if the 25+ MD'ers on the beach at one time all signed permissions or what the penalty is if you don't have a permission slip (sound like grade school) or do they fine you like fishing without a license?

.... or do they fine you like fishing without a license?

I'll bet you that there has NEVER been a case of anyone "fined" for md'ing @ Indiana Dunes state park, for "md'ing without a license". In fact, I defy anyone to cite an incident of a "fine" for md'ing at ANY beach on the entire Lake Michigan . So why in the heck does this supposed "imminent threat" keep popping up in our collective vocabularies ? :?: For pete's sakes, just go look for the ring your wife lost there last week. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares less.

Indiana Dunes SP (now a National Park) gets attacked by detectorists the morning after Labor Day. Minelab did a sponsored event there awhile back, maybe 5 years ago, just on the dry beach, seeded hunt.
When you go to the park manager, they have a paper form you fill out and they'll tell you that no "large" digging tools allowed to be used (basically allowed to use small hand scoops only). Yet it's ok for lil junior to dig a hole and bury dad in the beach up to his neck.
They don't allow anyone in the water after Labor Day, cuz "there aren't lifeguards on duty then" (no detecting in the water allowed anyhow).
It's all within the whole "National Lakeshore" protection act/deal, which extends their "authority" or whatever "100 yards" out from water's edge (which totally foils the plan to paddle or boat there to detect in the water!).
I've only gone once, with intent to detect, a few years ago. There are big new signs at the main area and the other "sub beaches" also, that show that just simply possessing a detector there is a violation of Nat Park regs.

Last edited:
Indiana Dunes SP (now a National Park) gets attacked by detectorists the morning after Labor Day. Minelab did a sponsored event there awhile back, maybe 5 years ago, just on the dry beach, seeded hunt.
When you go to the park manager, they have a paper form you fill out and they'll tell you that no "large" digging tools allowed to be used (basically allowed to use small hand scoops only). Yet it's ok for lil junior to dig a hole and bury dad in the beach up to his neck.
They don't allow anyone in the water after Labor Day, cuz "there aren't lifeguards on duty then" (no detecting in the water allowed anyhow).
It's all within the whole "National Lakeshore" protection act/deal, which extends their "authority" or whatever "100 yards" out from water's edge (which totally foils the plan to paddle or boat there to detect in the water!).
I've only gone once, with intent to detect, a few years ago. There are big new signs at the main area and the other "sub beaches" also, that show that just simply possessing a detector there is a violation of Nat Park regs.

Thanks for the info. I don't have any beach gear....just thinking it would be fun to run the Simplex out there since probably not a lot of people out there right now......

....Yet it's ok for lil junior to dig a hole and bury dad in the beach up to his neck.....

And do you know what the difference is between those kids who dig sand castles and "bury dad" and us md'rs is ? Easy : Those kids who dig holes didn't go ask "Hi, can I disturb and alter the beach and dig holes ?" If they had done so, then THEY TOO would get a "no". Then THEY TOO could start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms. Shame on them for not asking.

Contrast to us md'rs, who somehow feel, for the past 40 or so years, that it's our duty to go grovelling asking "Can I ?" type questions. Thus leading to the silly list of rules you list, to "address our pressing issue". Eh ? :roll:

Have you looked directly at the Indiana State park's website, which no-doubt lists their rules ? Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc... And if so, if it's silent on the issue, then presto : Not disallowed.

And go figure : Some parks in the state might have sensitive historical themes. While others are innocuous beaches, sandboxes, etc.... So what's the "safe answer" ? To: "Inquire at each one you come to". Which has what effect ? Simple : Legions more md'rs showing up at kiosks asking "Can I ?" And before long, the "pressing question" lands on the Indiana State park's staff archie's desk. And then PRESTO : A new law is born. A giant case of "no one cared till you asked", that takes decades to evolve. I've seen this happen first-hand :mad:

Because put yourself in the shoes of the rank-&-file kiosk worker who gets this question (that perhaps he's never thought of before, nor would he care one iota) : He's got to give an answer, so he picks up his phone and calls his superiors in state capitol. And the ball starts rolling from there.

As far as the "ask each property manager" answer: I have no doubt that, yes, each ranger DOES INDEED have jurisdiction over his particular park. And yes he DOES INDEED have ability to tell you "no" or "scram" (because he thinks you might harm earthworms). But why oh why oh why swat hornet's nests, and put it on his plate as a "pressing decision" before-you-even-start ? For heaven's sakes, if it wasn't forbidden in the first place, then why does this need someone's "princely blessing" before you can do it ? I mean, heck, no one asks "Can I fly frisbees ?", right ? So since when is md'ing so evil that it needs an express "yes" ? :?: Oh I know : It's when 100 of us have shown up asking, so they pass out the easy answer. Which makes its way onto an FAQ, then disseminated throughout the internet, blah blah blah.

It's as if we md'rs can be our own worst enemy !

Example: The "turn over everything you find" nonsense: Well gee, that can be traced to the fact that every park has prohibitions on "harvest and collect", right ? So that no one thinks he can take home the park benches, or start cutting down trees for lumber. Right ? So when the "pressing question" lands on their plate, some genius is sure to think "hmmm, this involves "taking things " (coins, pulltabs, etc...), therefore it falls under this rule. Oh gee, aren't ya glad you asked ? :roll:

Sometimes you seem to get so wound up that I worry you may burst a blood vessel, Tom.
:hornetsnest:

Sometimes you seem to get so wound up that I worry you may burst a blood vessel, Tom.
:hornetsnest:

Yup. This is a "bee in my bonnet". As someone who's been detecting since the mid 1970s (as a pimple faced teenager), and gone through the ranks of club officer positions (president, etc...) in the 1980s & 1990s, I have seen it all evolve. From back in the days when no one ever gave the issues any thought, to the current day where we supposedly have to walk around on pins and needles and grovel everywhere.

So I began to ask myself : "What changed ?". And after analyzing scores of places where rules suddenly popped into being, I began to see the trend of evolution. Thus, no, hardly any of these places were d/t someone "leaving holes" (the common notion of origin). Instead it was we , ourselves, out there swatting hornets nests thinking we needed express "yes's", and permissions (as if those were needed). And fetching "safe answers", after our pressing question lands on an archie's desk :(

so get the permission. If you HAVE TO turn in everything you find (what's the point of hunting then? ) just keep all the rings and bracelets and such in your inner shorts and turn in all the bottle caps and junk and be sure to say " SEE! All the cleaning I did for you guys?! Now I should be let in more often.... WIN WIN.

so get the permission. If you HAVE TO turn in everything you find (what's the point of hunting then? ) just keep all the rings and bracelets and such in your inner shorts and turn in all the bottle caps and junk ....

Oh tsk tsk, are you advocating breaking a law ? Tsk tsk. What's next ? Clubbing baby seals ? Torturing kittens ? How can you sleep at night ? Tsk tsk :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom