Garrett AT Max - Tips,Tricks and Techniques

Loki

This Thread is for anyone who is now using the Garrett At Max and would like to share settings tips and techniques.

What are your settings for Coins/Relics ? What are your findings and at what depths? Stock coil?

I have been using the At Max for two days now to locate what the BHiv missed on my property. Yesterday I dug out 4 plugs of 3" frozen solid ground.
In these 4 holes I located in order two stinkn Lincolns, a pull tab and a modern 40oz bottle cap. The day I dug these I was getting a lot of churps. So, today I raised the coil cable about 4 to 6 inches higher from the top of the coil and started the wrap instead of wrapping it over immediately. This dramatically reduced the churp. I can now run it wide open on my property. This lead me to acouple good signals. I pinged the targets in Coin Mode notch descrim (70/below - only coins open) then checked the Iron content in Zero mode and All Metal mode. Still gave good signals. I have not dug them yet due to the frozen ground.

I know a lot of people are moving up to the Max and are curious about what to run it at or how to run it. I'm under a month strong in MD so I figured this could not only help me but others learn our machines. Any Input Is Appreciated! Thanks Gang! HH!!!

Last edited:
Don't have that detector myself, but here's a video series for those who have not seen it yet -

AT MAX Instructional Video Part 1 of 3 (US Version)

I'll throw a few things into the mix here. I run Custom 32+ full sensitivity the majority of the time.

Here are my VDI #'s here in NC soil around a general 2 - 6" depth:

Clad Nickel: solid 51
Zincoln or toasted wheatie: 76 - 77
Copper penny: 78 - 80
Clad dime: 81 - 83
Silver dime: 81 - 84
Clad quarter: 85 - 86

Can slaw: high 70's, usually w/scratchy tone

The "walk around the target" trick works amazing with the MAX. Meaning, if you get a perceived coin tone and walk around it 180 - 360 degrees, 90% of the time if it's a coin the tone will stay solid as you walk around. If the tone "drops out" as you walk around, the object is either some other piece of metal or a coin that's on its side. So use this technique with caution.

Like most detectors if you get a good "coin" tone but it's hitting hard/loud, gently swing and raise the coil up away from the target slowly. If it's still hitting "big" 12+" off the ground then swing around it in a circular pattern. If the object is "large" it's 99% a can. With the MAX I can pick out a can 99% of the time using this technique unless it's super deep or slaw.

Iron Audio works really well but it's annoying. When I get a good tone I kick it on and swing to see if the object contains iron or there's iron around it (where I'm hunting will then determine my next move based on what the detector is telling me).

OK, that's what I have for now. I hope that helps!

Great informative knowledge. Exactly whats needed in this thread. Also, exactly what I was hoping for. GKL - Those videos are very useful to someone like me(a beginner). TriadHunter - Great tips! I haven't used custom mode yet but I will now. Your method seems sound to the machine. Excellent..

Back
Top Bottom