Ace 400 aftermarket coil

Dan B.

Elite Member
I was wondering if there was some type of aftermarket coil that would work on my ace 400 to get better separation in trashy areas and a little bit deeper. For the price I paid for the ace I don't think I'm doing bad at all with it just trying to improve it a little. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you for the information and the feedback I will have to check into that.

I started with a ace 150, 250 and then went to a at pro and bought nel coils for it attack and tornado. I have seen videos with after markets coils (big coils) on the ace series and it didn't seem to do a whole lot. I started to buy a different coil for ace 250 when I had it and a dealer talked me out of it.. I bought a at pro and it was a big improvement over the ace series. This is the point I'm trying to get at instead of sinking hundreds of dollars in accessory coils wouldn't it be better just to upgrade to the at series or something. I mean your only gonna get so much out of a ace and apparently your already wanting more. The pro zero audio is way better than the ace bell tone, don't know what audio the 400 has havent checked it out. I been thru all that after market coil upgrade business and spent a lot of money doing so and then finally upgraded anyway... could have saved myself some money and trouble. 5x8 isn't going to get you more depth . hope this helps. at pros are going cheap since the new release is coming out. Ive seen them used for 350 or so. What does a coil cost 125.00 ??

Ace 400 only has the Bell tone Garret audio. Its a great machine. It has no ground balance but has all the features of the ATP except the Pro Audio tones. I bought one for the Ex and it ran great until she became the ex-ex....LOL!!!

I started with a ace 150, 250 and then went to a at pro and bought nel coils for it attack and tornado. I have seen videos with after markets coils (big coils) on the ace series and it didn't seem to do a whole lot. I started to buy a different coil for ace 250 when I had it and a dealer talked me out of it.. I bought a at pro and it was a big improvement over the ace series. This is the point I'm trying to get at instead of sinking hundreds of dollars in accessory coils wouldn't it be better just to upgrade to the at series or something. I mean your only gonna get so much out of a ace and apparently your already wanting more. The pro zero audio is way better than the ace bell tone, don't know what audio the 400 has havent checked it out. I been thru all that after market coil upgrade business and spent a lot of money doing so and then finally upgraded anyway... could have saved myself some money and trouble. 5x8 isn't going to get you more depth . hope this helps. at pros are going cheap since the new release is coming out. Ive seen them used for 350 or so. What does a coil cost 125.00 ??

There are other things that differentiate the A400 from ATP, such as frequency and of course utilizing the detector in underwater hunts or not. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Garrett ACE fan (see my sig), but for the cost of a new coil you're approaching ATP territory (after you sold the A400). I was looking at new coils for the A400 myself but after I did the math and with my birthday coming up, I went for the MAX instead of the ATP. It's your $ so do as you wish. But I think we're trying to keep you from putting lipstick on a pig. :)

My findings with the 400 was a smaller coil no matter the make was necessary due to the youth design of the detector frame and the short cuff. The original coil was very nose heavy and a big pain to spend any quality time swinging. The other shortcomings like ground balance also kept me from choosing it on trips out when I reached for a detector.

You'll get far more target separation with a machine that has true tones than you ever will simply moving to a smaller/different coil on the ACE400.

It's the bell-tone that'll kill ya. it won't separate fine targets (just ring up a bell for them all together, unless there's Jussssst enough separation you get two tones.).

You'll be lightyears ahead by upgrading to another machine, than by simply upgrading the coil on the 400. VDI was a vast improvement over the ACE350, but realistically, you'll have to move to a mid-range to truly engage in target separations at a "next level" experience.

I +1 getting an upgraded machine (if you don't need waterproofing, there's MANY great options to the Garrett AT series... that might be cheaper, too).

And consider used. The same price of a coil and selling your machine, puts you into a whole new class of MDing.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom