Going with rechargeable batteries

Scooterjim

Elite Member
And it was the wife's idea. She has a bunch of the solar powered lights around the yard and several had quit working. She asked me to fix them, she thinks I can fix anything and I hate to disappoint her, so I took a couple apart and seen they use either aa or aaa rechargeables. The wife seems to think I have spent enough money on detecting equipment so this was the perfect opportunity to get the Energizer pro charger with 4 aa's for the ATPro and an additional pack for the TRX and I bought the cheaper Ray O Vacs for the lights. The batteries out of the lights had a lot lower mah than the new ones, I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's been 2 weeks and they still work. I have not tried them in the detector. I had just put in new batteries and decided to keep track of how long they last compared to the rechargeables and it seems like these batteries just won't die.
It worked out great, the wife is happy that her lights work and I got a new metal detecting accessory without having to mention metal detecting at all, and she still thinks I can fix anything.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

I just bought a 5 pack of Rechargeable 9 volts for my Detectors and My pin pointer. they seem to work very well so far. Cost like 20 something bucks on amazon but will easily pay for themselves in Savings.

I've thought about trying rechargeable batteries in my AT Pro. I have a charger, but my AA batteries are quite old so I will have to get some new ones if I'm gonna try it. I wonder how they last compared to alkaline. I have to swap my Alkaline's out at half power or I start to have issues. If the voltage stays more consistent from the NiCad's maybe it would be worth it.

I've thought about trying rechargeable batteries in my AT Pro. I have a charger, but my AA batteries are quite old so I will have to get some new ones if I'm gonna try it. I wonder how they last compared to alkaline. I have to swap my Alkaline's out at half power or I start to have issues. If the voltage stays more consistent from the NiCad's maybe it would be worth it.

Mud Puppy would be the man to ask that one.. I am sure he has tried rechargeable before and I know he has to swap out at about half power too

I have used Duracell rechargeable in my detector for the past two summers and have had no issues. One set in the detector and one set as backup.

My V3i came with NiMhi packs, the equivalent of 8 AA batteries. They have worked flawlessly for nearly 4 years now. My Impact uses 4 AA rechargeable and I love it. I just purchased the Energizer set and batteries to phase in as all other battery devices run out. The new "precharged" batteries have low drain feature and stay charged for a long time even when left unused.

R n B innovations make a great rechargeable battery for the Garrett AT series detectors. Last 30 - 40 hrs s charge. I put 12 hours on my At Max and it's down one bar from full chatge.

I use alot of recharge batteries for other stuff that I have back ups for my back ups.

Rechargeable batteries go bad and I have not found a way to test what one is bad yet and I use name brand batteries.
I would not trust Rechargeable batteries for my MD.

Alkaline batteries in my opinion, for me work better. I went to Lowe's and got 60 alkaline batteries for under 20 bucks and they stay in my Jeep.

I do not know if there is a better name brand rechargeable battery out there BUT I use Energizer all day long and they give me problems.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I just bought a 5 pack of Rechargeable 9 volts for my Detectors and My pin pointer. they seem to work very well so far. Cost like 20 something bucks on amazon but will easily pay for themselves in Savings.

I've used rechargeables for years and they not only work well but they save a lot of money.

Depending on your machine those Rechargable s may or may not work. Most rechargables are only 1.2 volts versus 1.5 volts for alkaline. If your machine uses 8 AA batteries you are only getting 9.6 volts versus the 12 volts would get from 8 alkaline batteries. You machine may not get enough voltage to operate properly for any length of time

And it was the wife's idea. She has a bunch of the solar powered lights around the yard and several had quit working. She asked me to fix them, she thinks I can fix anything and I hate to disappoint her, so I took a couple apart and seen they use either aa or aaa rechargeables. The wife seems to think I have spent enough money on detecting equipment so this was the perfect opportunity to get the Energizer pro charger with 4 aa's for the ATPro and an additional pack for the TRX and I bought the cheaper Ray O Vacs for the lights. The batteries out of the lights had a lot lower mah than the new ones, I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's been 2 weeks and they still work. I have not tried them in the detector. I had just put in new batteries and decided to keep track of how long they last compared to the rechargeables and it seems like these batteries just won't die.
It worked out great, the wife is happy that her lights work and I got a new metal detecting accessory without having to mention metal detecting at all, and she still thinks I can fix anything.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

I've run rayovac rechargables for two and a half years (the same two sets, I just rotate on and off the charger). For the first and second year, I could go all week long (about 20-30 hours) without having to recharge. Now I get nervous when it drops down to 2 bars, so I recharge them after just 15-20 hours of use. Still though, with over 1400 hours of use on the two sets of batteries, I know I'm saving a ton, and they're still going fine. I certainly don't have to swap them every trip. Having two sets makes it easy, though, if I know I'm going out for a long haul... I can just grab the charged set, toss the others on, and go.

It's too easy, and there's no reason to mess with buying gobs of alkalines

R n B innovations make a great rechargeable battery for the Garrett AT series detectors. Last 30 - 40 hrs s charge. I put 12 hours on my At Max and it's down one bar from full chatge.

I'm skeptical of the RnB rechargeable on my AT Max. I haven't timed it from full charge yet, but the lifespan seems about the same or shorter overall than standard alkalines. Within the first hour hunting, the Max drops from 4 bars down to 3 while using the RnB. I recently decided to keep using the RnB across several hunts to see how long it might last between charges. After dropping to 3 bars quickly, it lived there for quite a while - I'd say I hunted 3 or 4 times for a couple hours apiece and it sat at 3 bars. That seemed great - however, on the fourth hunt, it finally dropped to 2 bars...maybe an hour after it dropped to 2 bars, I picked the machine back up after digging a plug, and it was dead. It still showed 2 bars when I put it down - I was monitoring it quite closely because I intended to change out as soon as it hit 1 bar, as the Garrett manual suggests.

Anyway, my point is, I was quite concerned to see the RnB drop from 2 bars to dead with no real warning. In hindsight, the detector was behaving rather erratically while at 2 bars - the tones seemed clipped and the detector became noticeably chattier which I initially attributed to ground conditions. Instead, it appears the RnB unit needs to be recharged immediately on reaching 2 bars, as opposed to 1 bar for alkalines as suggested by the Garrett manual. Overall, I estimate that I got 10-12 hours of hunt time on one charge of the RnB. It's better than constantly buying alkalines, but far less time than I was led to believe when making the rather pricey purchase. Perhaps mine is defective? I guess I need to start timing from full charge to put firm numbers together. And it's important to note, for all of my hunts, I'm constantly using the wireless headphones.

My backups are a set of Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeables. Their lifespan is noticeably shorter than alkalines, but I was able to hunt with them down to one bar with no noticeable adverse affects.

Depending on your machine those Rechargable s may or may not work. Most rechargables are only 1.2 volts versus 1.5 volts for alkaline. If your machine uses 8 AA batteries you are only getting 9.6 volts versus the 12 volts would get from 8 alkaline batteries. You machine may not get enough voltage to operate properly for any length of time

Interesting point - the Garrett manuals for both my Ace 400 and AT Max specifically state that rechargeable NiMH batteries can be used, the only caveat being reduced life per charge. They don't specifically mention the voltage for the batteries, but I'm assuming that Garrett knows that 1.2V is the standard for rechargeables? My knowledge of electricity goes little beyond just calling it sorcery & magic, but I always thought the battery's amp-hour rating was what dictated battery lifespan in a given device, assuming the voltage was correct. I didn't think about it before, but how much voltage reduction can a detector withstand before performance drops? Both the AT and Ace series use 4 AAs, so there's a 20% difference drop using rechargeables (4.8v versus 6v). Sounds pretty significant...anyone with better electrical knowledge know better??

Now that I'm all in with rechargeables in the detector, I guess I better call Garrett and get the info right from the horse's mouth...

R n B

I run my AT Max on the R n B battery and don't lose one bar for at least 4 hours of detecting. 20 Hours before I see it at Half charge. I couldn't be more pleased with them.

I used the RnB batteries in both mine and my wife's safari. They would last forever before needing recharged. Regular alkaline batteries would not last long at all. FBS detectors are power hogs.

I think if your detector can tolerate it, rechargeable batteries are the way to go. I like my CTX and my and my wife's equinox 800s having a rechargeable batteries. Sure is nice not having to buy batteries all the time. I do buy a big pack of 9v for the pin pointers and they last a while.

I use rechargeables in all my detectors.
16 AA in total. I hunt ALOT so disposables are out of the question.
The only downside is keeping them charged and rotated. I'll usually !!!! out before the batteries do.

Eneloop Pro’s in my AT Pro and Nokta Impact, no issues and they last a long time.
An interesting article I came across about Ikea rechargeable, that they’re basically Eneloop Pro’s in an Ikea jacket, which would make them super cheap to invest in. I haven’t had a chance to put this theory to the test yet though.
Article is here:
https://petapixel.com/2018/02/16/eneloop-pro-20-batteries-ikea-ladda-5-batteries/

I was running the RNB on my ATMax. I found it lasted a long time, and the bars dropped predictably, no sudden drop off. I never timed it, but I would guess about 20-25hrs between charges.

Back
Top Bottom