What's the best digging tool?

I won't take anything larger than a Lesche into the parks, my buddies have been kicked out for taking mini-shovels in. It just looks tacky.

^^^I agree^^^
Some places require a small shovel or even no shovel to make the locals happy. I like a large shovel when I can, but usually can get by fine with a trowel size shovel.

I have tried to break my fiskars diggers and they won't even bend(rocks,roots, frozen ground). If you have a home depot or lowes nearby see if they have the fiskars and at least give it a look. You can buy 3 or 4 for the price of 1 lesche. I bought the fiskars to"get by" until I could justify spending 40 bucks on a lesche. 2 years later I'm still using the fiskars. I bought an extra for backup but it only gets used if I loan it to a friend. Best $10 I ever spent on detecting equipment.

Shovel

you know, the above is just plain ol'great advice.Thanks for posting it.I have and use a fiskars(w/the serrated edge and weird prong at tip) and it does a good job.I swing a Tesoro Cibola and I quickly came to the realization that the fiskars just was not cut out (get it?) for the holes i was having to dig as pertaining to the depth.

I then used a gift card from lowes and purchased their small shovel and am now digging more accurate and prettier holes that are deeper simply because it is a shovel and man,those holes are dug so much quicker.I actually dig plugs now,imagine that, and i am in ne alabama.our dirt is different.it's clay a lot and when it is not,it is not a clean plug allowing type of dirt it seems.

uh oh.I may be attacked BECAUSE i do use a small shovel exclusively but oh well.that is another topic entirely.
I use the ames small spade. Looks just like the common spade with D-----|))) shape like this about 24". Only when I can because it attracts attention. At the parks I use a home depot transplanters trowel/knife. Stupid bright green rubber handle just screams(MDer Broke!!) 10 bucks. It works but don't apply too much pressure. Also takes twice the time as the little spade. I think that lestch looks great. Just no budget for anything else right now!

I've used the Lesche, Razer digger and I always end up with the Fiskers in my hand. If the 10.00 Fiskers didn't have that V tip, it would be #1 in my book...
Next maybe the 3-1 true temper, looks like the fiskers but no V tip!

These are my own home made diggers. I too originally used the cheap lowes and home depot garden trowels, but I soon learned that they leave you disappointed when they break at the most inconvenient times.I don't care if they have a free replacement or not, they are(in my opinion) a waste of time to keep bringing back.
The trowels I now use are stainless steel, and will not break. They will however, bend at the tip with rugged use. I have never replaced even one of these. They are fairly inexpensive to buy as well.($10-$15)
I took the original rubber handle off, and fitted a piece of pvc tubing over the SS tubing, till it touched the blade. I then cut the pvc flush at the top, and wrapped electrical tape around it until it would fit the inside diameter of my snow shovel handle. I then drilled a hole in the handle and placed a screw in it to keep it from moving. Pretty simple and effective design if you are a bit of a do it your selfer.
I personally like the shorter, wider blade myself. The shorter ones in the pictures are SS garrett trowels. I am not troubled with a soar palm from pushing hard, and I find that I have plenty of leverage to get my plugs out. No need for a big ugly shovel in the park when I can easily get the job done with what looks small and harmless. I have never had a handle break either, but I recommend choosing a sturdy one.-(A lot of times you can find these on city wide clean up days for free.)
I used a button fastening kit to apply a hammer holder to my find bag. It actually is fastened upside down and works well that way. This keeps my trowel from cluttering up my trash bin, and makes it easy to remove and reholster.
Hope this helps!
By that way, I do also have a lesche shovel and several military shovels I use when public view isn't an issue. 1224131425.jpg

1224131424.jpg

1224131427.jpg

These are my own home made diggers. I too originally used the cheap lowes and home depot garden trowels, but I soon learned that they leave you disappointed when they break at the most inconvenient times.I don't care if they have a free replacement or not, they are(in my opinion) a waste of time to keep bringing back.
The trowels I now use are stainless steel, and will not break. They will however, bend at the tip with rugged use. I have never replaced even one of these. They are fairly inexpensive to buy as well.($10-$15)
I took the original rubber handle off, and fitted a piece of pvc tubing over the SS tubing, till it touched the blade. I then cut the pvc flush at the top, and wrapped electrical tape around it until it would fit the inside diameter of my snow shovel handle. I then drilled a hole in the handle and placed a screw in it to keep it from moving. Pretty simple and effective design if you are a bit of a do it your selfer.
I personally like the shorter, wider blade myself. The shorter ones in the pictures are SS garrett trowels. I am not troubled with a soar palm from pushing hard, and I find that I have plenty of leverage to get my plugs out. No need for a big ugly shovel in the park when I can easily get the job done with what looks small and harmless. I have never had a handle break either, but I recommend choosing a sturdy one.-(A lot of times you can find these on city wide clean up days for free.)
I used a button fastening kit to apply a hammer holder to my find bag. It actually is fastened upside down and works well that way. This keeps my trowel from cluttering up my trash bin, and makes it easy to remove and reholster.
Hope this helps!
By that way, I do also have a lesche shovel and several military shovels I use when public view isn't an issue. View attachment 251119

View attachment 251120

View attachment 251121
I like these diggers you made, I might just have steal your idea

Here you go:

T-Handle007_zpscb3856f9.jpg

T-Handle001_zps43733c01.jpg

T-Handle004_zpsc3fcd4cf.jpg

T-Handle006_zps264d9ce0.jpg

A little Gorilla Glue and you're set. Wicox Digger modified.

I have most all of the other diggers, but I prefer this one if the ground is not rock hard.

beephead

Here you go:

T-Handle007_zpscb3856f9.jpg

T-Handle001_zps43733c01.jpg

T-Handle004_zpsc3fcd4cf.jpg

T-Handle006_zps264d9ce0.jpg

A little Gorilla Glue and you're set. Wicox Digger modified.

I have most all of the other diggers, but I prefer this one if the ground is not rock hard.

beephead

Another cool idea, that was going to be my next wilcox digger, I just ordered the 14 inch version.

The 18 x 2 Wilcox digger works best for me. I wish someone would make something like I have modified out of some high carbon steel. Handle, tee and blade. The stainless steel on the Wilcox digger is a little soft and doesn't keep a good edge.

beephead

I'm torn between the Garrett Edge Digger & the Lesche Digger. Any suggestions?

Take a close look at the predator model 31...its a very nice digger.

The lesche before that was my goto digger and it does a great job..very tough.

I still have a fiskars digger that I used for years and loan out to people that go with me and its still holding up.

The garrett digger is nice, you scoop more dirt but its not quite as solidly made as the lesche and the sheath is a piece of junk.

I think the best digger out there is one that will hold up under heavy use. There are a ton of em out there, and depending on your soil you hunt, you may not need a $50 hand trowel.

I know a company that has a great following, and I was once one of them but they will never see another penny of my money....so even the ones who claim to be the best aren't necessarily so. Customer service is #1...the customer deserves a quality product when they pay a premium price...some companies forget that and it will bite them in the butt...

LittleJohn

Been on one hunt so far with my Wilcox 102...... It did great, and seems like it will last and last. I did take a little time with a file to "fine tune" the point a little before I took it out.

At the parks I use a home depot transplanters trowel/knife. Stupid bright green rubber handle just screams(MDer Broke!!) 10 bucks.

I resemble that remark:D

been using it in parks, works for me. in fields I use small spade shovel, and drilled out grain feed scooper for beaches.. (that also screams out broke MD'r). :laughing:

On my web belt, I always carry 2 digging tools. They handle just about any digging situation, I come across. One is my Lesche and the other is my Predator Tools 85C Raptor.

Relic hunting in the woods, I'll always carry my Lesche "General Purpose" shovel. For $40, it's the best small shovel for the price, IMO. :grin:

I have both the Garrett digger as well as the Lesche and I prefer the Lesche. Not only does it cut through roots much better but it is also made in the USA whereas the Garrett Edge is made in China. I try whenever possible to support the US worker and company when I have the choice to do so.

X100 on that Choppadude!! Though it is getting very hard to do!! :(

Back
Top Bottom