Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 03-25-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Monte View post
True, but in my quoted paragraph I made it clear that each of us use what we happen to prefer. A difference that can exist, however, is that some people simply buy a product based on marketing and/or other people's claims or statements and they buy Tool A or maybe Tool B. Then believe it to be the best-performing unit for their site challenges. Fine. that's their belief.

Some of us actually buy or borrow Tool A and Tool B, and often Tool C, D and E to use them ALL afield in the same challenging sites, at the same time, and compare performance side-by-side on the same in-the-field encounters ... and THEN we make a much more informed decision based on actual use in actual site conditions.

That's what I do, and in doing so I make it a point to learn about each model's strengths and weaknesses and how best to make adjustments, if possible, to deal with any weakness. I know there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector, but all too often I read statements that overly-suggest a Simultaneous Multi-frequency HAS to be the best ... when in fact that simply isn't true.

I have some detectors in my Outfit that I favor for Coin & Jewelry Hunting many urban sites, some that I'd grab first at a freshwater beach or saltwater beach, and some that make a better 'tool' for a nasty Iron Nail infested old Relic Hunting site. I don't push and promote only one make or model or type of circuitry design. I simply talk favorably about the different models with preferred search coils in my 9-unit Detector Outfit. None are 'perfect' but each of them is 'very good' with some being a little more versatile than others.

I live in far Eastern Oregon about a 20-30 minute drive from Idaho, and that puts Kentucky a wee bit of a drive for this old phart to make. I wish we lived closer and I'd be glad to get together with you, or anyone, to handle a variety of detectors and compare performance side-by-side on some Iron Nail type testing. We'd all learn something along the way.

Monte
Getting together with you sounds like it would be a fun time. I'd love to get advice from someone experienced in multiple machines. In my quest for finding my next detector, I've even debated swinging two machines at once (assuming they don't interfere with each other) and seeing how they compare for a given target. For instance, Detector A reads a low tone (iron) while Detector B reads a high tone (dime). I dig up the target and see which machine is right. Of course, this isn't a perfect technique because each detector can be set up in so many different ways and combination settings.

You mentioned not just comparing Tool A to Tool B, but also to Tool C, D and E. Do you care to share some of the insights you gleaned? For example, which machines do you have, in what situation or location would you use it and why?

Old 03-25-2020, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
Problem most have with the Equinox series is they do not understand how to use Multi IQ to their advantage in trash. In knowledgeable hands it gives you an advantage with very masked targets. After reading these and other forums for the last 8 years or so i have come to the conclusion that a lot of people buy new technology hoping to find a machine that when swung over a masked target will give you a very distinct loud and no doubt dig me beep. You will still dig some trash with multi IQ but with A LOT OF EXPERIENCE you can learn to narrow the trash to good targets with the NOX series and leave your friends hunting with you thinking your lucky or very good.

If you are going to just beep and dig,,,, i would not spend my money on Multi IQ or FBS type machines.... just buy a good nokta/whites/garrett and get your beep on. Because honestly i would be less than impressed myself with multi freq type machines as well. Not trying to be mean or anything else just being really honest.
This on every level

Old 03-25-2020, 06:26 PM

If you are going to just beep and dig,,,, i would not spend my money on Multi IQ or FBS type machines.... just buy a good nokta/whites/garrett and get your beep on. Because honestly i would be less than impressed myself with multi freq type machines as well. Not trying to be mean or anything else just being really honest.

Isn't that the whole reason Multi-IQ was invented? To allow "beep and dig" machines to actually have a level of discrimination that actually works?

My understanding of Multi-IQ tech is that if the Equinox says you have a good target, you're more likely to have a good target than say, an AT-Pro or Fisher F2.

The "juice" in high-end metal detectors is being able to discriminate as accurately as possible with the least amount of effort as possible...right?

This is my understanding of how Multi-IQ, FBS, and other technology is supposed to help.

Imagine you have 2 identically experienced and capable prospective metal detectorists. Bob's first detector is an Equinox 800. John's first detector is a Tesoro Micromax (uMax).

After one hour of use, who'll find better targets? My assumption is that John and Bob will be about the same.

After 10 hours? Bob will start to take the lead (lead = finding higher value targets, like gold rings, silver coins, etc. and being able to ignore, without digging, undesired trash, like foil, iron nails, etc.)

After 1,000 hours? Things will start to even out again and will stay that way, give or take.

The hours of use numbers I've provided are just placeholders and represent the idea that for rookies, most machines are about the same with respect to actual results produced. But after someone is able to get "a little bit of knowledge" about the hobby, it's the person with a higher tech machine that can do more. But once someone is able to put hundreds of hours into a machine, even a basic one, the technology advantage will begin to diminish.

So why buy a high tech machine? Because very few people have the time and financial resources (let alone the patience) to be able to know a machine intimately. Most people will probably only be able to detect a few hours a month (on average). Given that limitation, most people won't be able to truly master their lower-end machine. That's where Multi-IQ can come in produce better results more efficiently.

That's my understanding of Multi-IQ, at least. I could be wrong and if so, I'm more than happy to be educated.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by mh9162013 View post
Isn't that the whole reason Multi-IQ was invented? To allow "beep and dig" machines to actually have a level of discrimination that actually works?

My understanding of Multi-IQ tech is that if the Equinox says you have a good target, you're more likely to have a good target than say, an AT-Pro or Fisher F2.

The "juice" in high-end metal detectors is being able to discriminate as accurately as possible with the least amount of effort as possible...right?

This is my understanding of how Multi-IQ, FBS, and other technology is supposed to help.

Imagine you have 2 identically experienced and capable prospective metal detectorists. Bob's first detector is an Equinox 800. John's first detector is a Tesoro Micromax (uMax).

After one hour of use, who'll find better targets? My assumption is that John and Bob will be about the same.

After 10 hours? Bob will start to take the lead (lead = finding higher value targets, like gold rings, silver coins, etc. and being able to ignore, without digging, undesired trash, like foil, iron nails, etc.)

After 1,000 hours? Things will start to even out again and will stay that way, give or take.

The hours of use numbers I've provided are just placeholders and represent the idea that for rookies, most machines are about the same with respect to actual results produced. But after someone is able to get "a little bit of knowledge" about the hobby, it's the person with a higher tech machine that can do more. But once someone is able to put hundreds of hours into a machine, even a basic one, the technology advantage will begin to diminish.

So why buy a high tech machine? Because very few people have the time and financial resources (let alone the patience) to be able to know a machine intimately. Most people will probably only be able to detect a few hours a month (on average). Given that limitation, most people won't be able to truly master their lower-end machine. That's where Multi-IQ can come in produce better results more efficiently.

That's my understanding of Multi-IQ, at least. I could be wrong and if so, I'm more than happy to be educated.
The magic of Multi IQ happens when you quit using it like you would most detectors ,( good tones most directions and solid ID on ID machines). I can say i do not believe when i used it this way i found anymore than i did with my beep and dig detectors. But when you start to chase what i consider iffy targets that with traditional beep and dig machines, usually ends up being junk most of the time, i quickly found out that with some experience doing it, i can now consistently find what others have left with a very low failure rate on the target being junk.

So to summarize, with my beep and dig machines i could try to chase iffy targets and my success ratio was very low. With Multi IQ and some knowledge of how to do it, i can chase iffy signals with a very high success rate, and this is why i am consistently finding goodies others have left behind. Which is why in my post I stated that if the Multi IQ is used like any other detector ie beep and dig, that i would be less than impressed with Multi IQ. Hence why you see posts from others that state they were not impressed with the NOX's and sell them, cause honestly i would feel just like they did if i still used it today as a beep and dig machine.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM

That makes sense, Trashfinder. Thanks for your explanation.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Princess View post
My go-to detector is also an Ace 250. To my way of thinking, it's easy to operate, fun to use, and it works well for my style of hunting... personally, I don't need anything more than that.

The 250 was a gift to me from a friend, and it's an upgrade from what I was using before. I enjoy it!
I'm with you 100%......the hobby is supposed to be fun......using a detector you enjoy will keep it that way.

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
I still use my Ace-350. Stock coil and sniper coil.

Love my At-Pro!

Have an equinox 600 wit stock and 6 inch coil, less than impressed.

Garrett might just come out with another winner.
I'm with you Bill....I love my AT Pro and my Ace 400 backup detector.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by beachclad View post
I hope it's portable.

It's about time companies start manufacturing detectors with foldable shafts and/or detachable control boxes.

I like what they did with the ATX. Here it is folded up.

Ever held one of those? Its like a dumbbell. Not a bad detector but its like dragging your desktop computer around.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

Problem most have with the Equinox series is they do not understand how to use Multi IQ to their advantage in trash. In knowledgeable hands it gives you an advantage with very masked targets. After reading these and other forums for the last 8 years or so i have come to the conclusion that a lot of people buy new technology hoping to find a machine that when swung over a masked target will give you a very distinct loud and no doubt dig me beep. You will still dig some trash with multi IQ but with A LOT OF EXPERIENCE you can learn to narrow the trash to good targets with the NOX series and leave your friends hunting with you thinking your lucky or very good.

No problem.

Everyone has a preference.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
No problem.

Everyone has a preference.
I have had an At pro and Max and i liked them both. I think they are really good machines, just saying so nobody gets the wrong idea. Actually i am hoping that Garrett has been watching and listening to the forums. I would like to see a few things added to the max and then it would be back in my arsenal. Biggest thing they need is a way to adjust the iron volume , it just blew my ears off and makes it hard to tell when you have iron and possibly good target near each other. Maybe this new item,,, just maybe.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

Smile

The thread started about Garrett releasing a new product. Then it went to attacking Garrett saying they needed make it a multi frequency detector. From there it went to the Equinox fan club saying the Equinox is the best thing out there for detecting.

Hey Equinox fan club give it a break!!!

Old 03-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
The thread started about Garrett releasing a new product. Then it went to attacking Garrett saying they needed make it a multi frequency detector. From there it went to the Equinox fan club saying the Equinox is the best thing out there for detecting.

Hey Equinox fan club give it a break!!!
My interpretation wasn't that it became a Minelab Equinox circle-praise session. Rather, it was several of us questioning why the Equinoxes get so much praise.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by mh9162013 View post
My interpretation wasn't that it became a Minelab Equinox circle-praise session. Rather, it was several of us questioning why the Equinoxes get so much praise.
Ditto!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Garrett uploaded a YouTube video. Itís a new sport metal metal detector!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:22 AM

https://youtu.be/ocixVLI-5U0

Old 03-30-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coinboy View post
https://youtu.be/ocixVLI-5U0
Thanks!