14K GOLD Ring dirt fishing, old Good Luck Protective Talisman CHARM medallion!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I ran an errand up to Missoula Montana today, checking out an antique dealer that is going out of business and who was holding a nice sale of some good stuff. I bought some old RR buttons, Montana Territorial paper, and a few other goodies. I did pack the AT Pro and as I drove home I looked for targets of opportunity!

My first stop was a No Permission, but soon I got the OK at a 1949 home with a nice LARGE front yard. Hoping for a lot of coins, I was disappointed in only finding one Copper Memorial and no other coins, so it had definitely been hit hard in the past. Along one edge of the yard under some lilac bushes, I got a nice 83-84 on the Pro, and from about 5" down I pulled out this Silver Dollar sized medallion. I had no idea what it was till I got home and could do a bit of research... it is a Good Luck / Protective Charm medallion that would hang on a chain, with Latin lettering, God references, the Cross, the All Seeing Eye, etc etc. I am delighted with this find!

Across the street from this home was an older school ca 1950. I checked in with a gal working there and no problem to detect the wood chip tot lots and grounds. Someone had already hit the tot lots as I could see evidence of dug spots here and there. I concentrated on the grassy areas near the tot lots, and found a fair amount of clad. I did dig nickel signals as there was a chance for a ring. While wandering back to the car, I got a perfect 52-53 Nickel signal on the Pro, and was very pleased and surprised to pull a Gold Ring! A tuff Dirt Fishing find! I credit Divine Providence for that find as I was aimlessly working back to the car like a drunken sailor. The ring showed no sign of corrosion, and when I got home it tested 14K no problem. The center stone is missing. With some significant Thunder Bumpers headed toward Missoula, I headed home, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 137
  • gold2.jpg
    gold2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 141
  • gold3.jpg
    gold3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 152
  • gold4.jpg
    gold4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 143
That medallion is awesome!

I far prefer finding that kind of stuff, than finding coins.

That medallion is awesome!

I far prefer finding that kind of stuff, than finding coins.

Thanks Digalicious! While I like silvers and Indian Head cents as my favorites, I do agree, the odd and unusual finds like this Talisman Charm are some of my favorites too!

Congrats on the dirt gold David, it does look to have some age to it. And the charm/pendant is a super cool find. In this day and age you prove the AT Pro is still a worthy adversary. Good luck. Mark

Congrats on the dirt gold David, it does look to have some age to it. And the charm/pendant is a super cool find. In this day and age you prove the AT Pro is still a worthy adversary. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! And yes, for my soil and semi arid conditions, the AT Pro does just as well as the Nox 800, as the coins here are not super deep and the soil is not super mineralized. Now... if I was in some other areas of the USA I would want the Nox or something similar. I do have a Vanquish 440 as a back up to get the multi freq benefits if needed.

Nice finds!
That medallion is fantastic!
Tom

Thank you Tom! I do like that medallion, a keeper for sure!

Wow! A genuine good luck charm, a lucky owl, and I see there are 2 stars that are actually aligned too.(they are on the same line on your paper) No wonder that gold ring jumped out at you! That is a great day's haul! Congrats on the great day and the haul!

Wow! A genuine good luck charm, a lucky owl, and I see there are 2 stars that are actually aligned too.(they are on the same line on your paper) No wonder that gold ring jumped out at you! That is a great day's haul! Congrats on the great day and the haul!

Thanks Foragist! Yep, lots of Good Luck Charm showed up on that detecting hunt! Missoula is getting harder to find nice items, so was very happy with the results.

Congrats Shiny on your gold ring! I also have found many gold rings at or around 53 (nickel) with my AT Pro:yes::yes:

Thank you metal! I think I've only found 8-9 Gold Rings in the 5 1/2 years I've been detecting (all with the AT Pro) as I really seek the silver and old coins. I kinda stumble on the gold when digging nickel signals, and yes, the mid size 14K rings do come up 52-53 on the AT Pro.

Back
Top Bottom