• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Got The New Garrett 6.5" x 9" Concentric Coil Yesterday, And Trialed It On A Wood Hunt Today

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
at1_zpshavudgwe.jpg~original

Got the 6.5" x 9" Concentric coil yesterday, and had today off, so after a Dr's appointment, I put it on the AT MAX and headed out to the woods.

at5_zps2othrgis.jpg~original

The coil seems to be about the same weight as the 5" x 8" DD coil, and slices through the snow with about the same friction. I did a quick air test in the house prior to removing the 5" x 8" coil on a penny and the same with the 6.5" x 9" after it was put on the MAX and the machine was rebooted, a requirement each time you switch to a different coil. I got about 3/4 - 1" depth increase with the concentric, just as suspected. I will do some measured air comparison tests with discriminate mode vs. true all metal mode with both coils at a later date.

at6_zpsuoqdlysw.jpg~original

My first good signal in the 80's, larger then a coin, turned out to be the buckle on this ladies shoe. I tore off the buckle with the stones on it to take home for some possible future use. During the hunt, I switched between true all metal mode, discriminate zero disc. and a custom mode with numbers beginning at 60 on up, specifically searching for high conductors such as silver or copper. I did manage to find 4 copper pennies, which was surprising good considering I had to contend with about 4" of snow. Bottle caps were easy to identify, as they read 60-75, bouncing around, and ID'd as iron when the iron audio feature was engaged. Typical of concentric coils, it produced a more accurate ID over targets.

at2_zpsjgokr7pb.jpg~original

The day also had some bad karma episodes. A stolen dufflebag with a bracelet, a snake on a stump, and a box of unused 1cc insulin syringes. Lots of other things like old clothing, smut books, pot & pans, a channel changer and toiletries. A real mess is what it really was. All the junkies move out of these areas at this time of year for special shelters to house them down town.

at8_zpshdnch9uq.jpg~original

Here are the finds from today's hunt. I dug most targets not registering as iron using the iron audio option. I pretty well guessed the pull tabs, as they read at about 53. The cap screw did read in the middle 80's, so I had to dig it!

And......I am preparing about 5 1/2 LBS of some brown sugar, spicy beef jerky! Can you smell it! :yum:

Attachments

• at9.jpg
    at9.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 302
Good report! Hey John, You must keep your gear in the trunk where it stays cold eh? My coils are up front with me and get warmed up by the heater, and then snow sticks to them and balls up horribly making them weigh a ton...so I bag them for Winter hunting in the snow to get around that problem....

Good report! Hey John, You must keep your gear in the trunk where it stays cold eh? My coils are up front with me and get warmed up by the heater, and then snow sticks to them and balls up horribly making them weigh a ton...so I bag them for Winter hunting in the snow to get around that problem....

Bagging that coil is actually a great idea!Might even slice through the snow easier? I tried waxing the coil many years ago......didn't make any difference.

Maybe if we ran more juice through those search coils, they would get "HOT" and melt the snow. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom