Excal II question

AIRFORCEMIKE

Forum Supporter
Been looking at buying one for sometime and now I have a chance to trade off my one year mint Deus for one. It's just over 2 years old and just came back from Kellyco with new O rings and end caps and clean bill of health. He had Kellyco hardwire the NEL 13x14 coil cool to it by Kellyco but I can't find anything on this coil. Need your thoughts please

Thanks
AFM

That big of coil is going to tie you down to certain places, but if your doing wetsand or very shallow water you maybe ok. Me I like the stock 10, covers most places I hunt.. Good Luck!!

That is a big coil for the water. Moving it and pin pointing with it in water will be hard to do. The stock coil on an Excal is plenty big enough. Like OBN said, if you are just going to wet sand hunt knock yourself out and have fun.

I agree with previous comments. Large coils are more difficult to swing in the water - especially with currents. I have friend that put one of those large coils on his Excal and is now about to take it off and put back on the stock coil.

That big of coil is going to tie you down to certain places, but if your doing wetsand or very shallow water you maybe ok. Me I like the stock 10, covers most places I hunt.. Good Luck!!
I thank you all so very much on confirming what I already knew...to much coil. I don't see myself just hitting dry/wet sand and shallow hunting.
That is a big coil for the water. Moving it and pin pointing with it in water will be hard to do. The stock coil on an Excal is plenty big enough. Like OBN said, if you are just going to wet sand hunt knock yourself out and have fun.
What I thought, Thanks Dew...selling yours yet? :laughing::laughing: J/K...I really appreciate your opinion.

I agree with previous comments. Large coils are more difficult to swing in the water - especially with currents. I have friend that put one of those large coils on his Excal and is now about to take it off and put back on the stock coil.
Thanks a ton FTC, what I thought, your opinion means a lot as it saved me some hassle and time thinking about this. 2 much coil for what I want to use it for.

Been looking at buying one for sometime and now I have a chance to trade off my one year mint Deus for one. It's just over 2 years old and just came back from Kellyco with new O rings and end caps and clean bill of health. He had Kellyco hardwire the NEL 13x14 coil cool to it by Kellyco but I can't find anything on this coil. Need your thoughts please

Thanks
AFM

I think you mean the 12x13 inch Nel tornado coil. It is a great coil, so far heard nothing but good reports on it..

I have been hunting with 15 inch coils for over 8 years now, have 2 excals, one has the original WOT on it and the other has the original Detech 15" SEF coil on it and I have had no problems hunting in the surf or pinpointing with either one. I could never go back to a 10 inch coil, they are too small for me, not enough depth or coverage on the beaches I hunt.

You learn to sweep the coil with the ebb and flow of the current and not fight the current. I side step with the surf as it rolls to shore and then side step back as it recedes from the shore letting the current work my sweeps. I usually hunt a 10 foot wide path doing this. Point point is easy, once target is located you place your toe of your foot at the back of the coil, remove coil and start your scoop at toe of your foot before moving your foot...

I am getting ready to buy another excal to customize for travel, I am going to have a 3 or 4 piece travel shaft custom built and I will be installing the same 12x13" NEL Tornado on it that you have as well as do the remote pinpoint mod on it and add Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones just like my other 2 excals have......

I think you mean the 12x13 inch Nel tornado coil. It is a great coil, so far heard nothing but good reports on it..

I have been hunting with 15 inch coils for over 8 years now, have 2 excals, one has the original WOT on it and the other has the original Detech 15" SEF coil on it and I have had no problems hunting in the surf or pinpointing with either one. I could never go back to a 10 inch coil, they are too small for me, not enough depth or coverage on the beaches I hunt.

You learn to sweep the coil with the ebb and flow of the current and not fight the current. I side step with the surf as it rolls to shore and then side step back as it recedes from the shore letting the current work my sweeps. I usually hunt a 10 foot wide path doing this. Point point is easy, once target is located you place your toe of your foot at the back of the coil, remove coil and start your scoop at toe of your foot before moving your foot...

I am getting ready to buy another excal to customize for travel, I am going to have a 3 or 4 piece travel shaft custom built and I will be installing the same 12x13" NEL Tornado on it that you have as well as do the remote pinpoint mod on it and add Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones just like my other 2 excals have......

Thanks for the input but it is the 13x14 NEL storm coil. , if it was the 12x13 I might consider it more but I just have a hard time thinking that size coil would be the right choice for me

Some guys like yourself can pick up a WOT coil and pinpoint with it and have no problems at all. I have nothing but admiration for you. I took a WOT coil on a night hunt using a Sovereign and had my headlamp on the entire night trying to find the targets. Now I mention night hunt because in the water you are blind to the coil. I hunt the Mid Atlantic beaches where depth in the water is irrelevant. You are only going to dig so deep before that next wave fills it in. Coverage is important to me, but the weight and water resistance just make the WOT and other large coils undesirable. Now that is just the water. Wet sand hunting is totally different. But during the swim season I do find myself in and out of the water looking for the line. So a happy medium is always trying to be found. During the months when the water is too cold to enter I hunt with a GT and a 13" Ultimate coil. The weight of the ultimate is wonderful for it's size. Dry sand hunting is another story. I like a wire basket scoop and a detector with target ID. So through all of my typing and rambling I will just say that when it comes to hunting at the beach numerous scoops, detectors and coils are needed. There is no wrong. What ever you like and can find targets with is just great to use.

Keep in mind if I want to hunt the dry beaches in pretty comfortable with my 17on the ctx. I just not as comfortable with hunting water with it. Hope that makes sense. I'm trying to just get myself into a strictly water machine and stuck with minelab

Keep in mind if I want to hunt the dry beaches in pretty comfortable with my 17on the ctx. I just not as comfortable with hunting water with it. Hope that makes sense. I'm trying to just get myself into a strictly water machine and stuck with minelab

I would go for one with the 10 inch...especially if this is a water only machine. But do get the PP and Headphone mods. I'm using my CTX w/17 for the wet/dry sand and Excal and CZ21 for the water.

I just posted a great working Excal II with brand new HP and Ikelite for $800,,,,,its a great machine I just don't need 4 of them,,,,:laughing:GL HH

I've been hunting in water past nose deep with the Storm coil and it's not bad at all in my opinion.. A lot easier than I thought it would be for sure...

Running a 5" rtg scoop...

I would try it before you deny it!

Although heavy ocean surf and under tow currents are not usually an issue here...

<°)))>{

I would go for one with the 10 inch...especially if this is a water only machine. But do get the PP and Headphone mods. I'm using my CTX w/17 for the wet/dry sand and Excal and CZ21 for the water.

Thanks Adam, I think that's what I am aiming for. I decided I really don't want to muscle around that big of a coil and the 10 inch will do me just fine. I might have to pick your brain though on the modded headphones though.

I might have to pick your brain though on the modded headphones though.

Talk to OBN...he has tested them all and builds his own. I still haven't modded mine, I am waiting until kellyco repair slows down and they start doing the PP mod again. I am probably just getting the GGA.

Talk to OBN...he has tested them all and builds his own. I still haven't modded mine, I am waiting until kellyco repair slows down and they start doing the PP mod again. I am probably just getting the GGA.

Thanks Adam, will do. I just need to find a nice used Excal or go new...that's my first challenge.

Whew...thanks, I don't see any sharks in Lake Michigan. :laughing:

shark-michigan.jpg

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/fisherman-captures-3000-pound-great-white-shark-in-great-lakes/

Seriously though...

http://forum.thirdcoastsurfshop.com/viewtopic.php?t=6932

you have a 3030 and don't want to hunt in the wet sea water with it ?
why do you own it then ? i have a 3030 1 atpro and 1 whites surf pi
buy a surf pi sure you dig trash but the top side is you will find gold chains
30 30 is a great machine but very very SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\
I WILL TAKE MY AT PRO over any one on here for MONEY
in dry sand or a lake over my 3030 these are for old men slooooooooooooooooooow and NOT AS DEEP as my at pro swing fast just like my pi;););) any one want to bet cash on this deal with me ???????
BRING IT ON MONEY TALKS B.S WALKS...:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom