Anywhere From KY or TN Looking For Some Help (weekend dream trip support)!

tmac

Well i know this is a total longshot, but If I dont have a chance of luck here for help with fellow detectorists then where do I! :lol: So myself and a long-time buddy (but fairly new to the hobby) have been at it all through end of summer and still at it daily even if for just an hr or two today. We came up with this brilliant idea to head down south for a full weekend due to our dreams of recovering some civil war relics. (up for any type of 1800 hunting really) :D Not for money by any stretch, were just guys who love connecting the history telling our families the stories from research to discoveries etc and just holding that piece of history in our hands, the thrill is amazing. Anyway we are just north-side Indianapolis and planning to head the direction of Louisville through mid-KY into TN toward Murfreesboro maybe further a bit...not fully sure yet. Were used to doing all the research on a potential site from ariel maps to plot maps to beer maps...to see if we can get a hunch its worthwhile, then talk with land owners for permission. So for this trip were trying to scope by satellite, "try" to then determine land owners ahead of time and plan to just do some good old fashion knocking on the door once we are there. So anyway we'll have from Fri to Sun for this "dream trip" lol. Its targeted leaving way early AM (I mean early!) dec 6th...honestly with not too much officially lined up if right now....if we could officially arrange something that was promising and could fill a weekend or at least a good day of it...we are more than flexible and would even head as far as to the coast somewhere lol! I know people wont just give away tried and true spots. I guess I just hoped for a remote chance we could connect with someone just via PM because of this post to make this trip a home run. I have references and plenty of sites with permission that would vouch for their experience with me on their land. I have proof of national insurance covering me and my actions while hunting, etc etc. No problems following any rules/stipulations. We are just 2 good ole clean cut guys in our mid-30's totally into this awesome hobby and looking SO forward to this weekend just dedicated to it.... man we can hardly wait. Just thought to reach out to the general community to help us hone in our research by lining something guaranteed up with some already with permission to an area or better yet the land owner themselves! Trying to just spend less time knocking and more time hunting. :grin: I appreciate the time to read the post and of course any help anyone is willing to give. Again just PM me and we could go from there!

Pm me for my number. Did alot of hunting about near battle of Dover. I will help with some leads. Don't be too discouraged though. MDers in the south are alot more Leary about sharing spots. In New Hampshire there were plenty of hunting spots to go. I just moved here to South Carolina and its alot tougher to get spots. ( I'm from the south just lived there a year) I recommend having spots lined up or you will spend alot of windshield time looking. I think that people must have stock in no trespassing signs because they are posted at every tree. But finding land owner is tough. I love being back south but getting permission in New England was alot easier for me. Just plan well. I have quite a bit of info on Tennessee, and I like sharing my spots because I can't dig the whole country. I will be digging a campsite in Dover Tn over thanksgiving( Battle of Ft Donelson)....... I've had great luck there. Good luck and happy hunting.

We had a visitor in the town I grew up in the Fall of 1863 and the Winter of 1864 in Cleveland Tennessee. His name was Captain Eli Lilly. He was a pharmacist from Indianapolis. Find a book on line called Yankee Artillerymen. If you cant find it then travel to Washbash College in Crawfordville , Ind and research their library. I traveled to Crawfordville in 1987 or so because i wanted to know more about the men who camped on the hill above our town. I did. It was Captain Lilly .

If you were to retrace the steps of the Famous Eli Lilly , that would be a good trip. But dont expect to find much. Why ? Because we use Tesoro Metal Detectors in these parts !

Thanks Guys!

Welcome to the forums from Japan and good luck in your quest! :D

Thanks for the welcoming Stewart73! Much appreciated!

Huge Thanks to skeller for a kind reply, look forward to the possibility of hunting together!

Pm me for my number. Did alot of hunting about near battle of Dover. I will help with some leads. Don't be too discouraged though. MDers in the south are alot more Leary about sharing spots. In New Hampshire there were plenty of hunting spots to go. I just moved here to South Carolina and its alot tougher to get spots. ( I'm from the south just lived there a year) I recommend having spots lined up or you will spend alot of windshield time looking. I think that people must have stock in no trespassing signs because they are posted at every tree. But finding land owner is tough. I love being back south but getting permission in New England was alot easier for me. Just plan well. I have quite a bit of info on Tennessee, and I like sharing my spots because I can't dig the whole country. I will be digging a campsite in Dover Tn over thanksgiving( Battle of Ft Donelson)....... I've had great luck there. Good luck and happy hunting.

Big Thanks to Spectra1 for also a kind reply and hope we can link up to talk over your tips!

We had a visitor in the town I grew up in the Fall of 1863 and the Winter of 1864 in Cleveland Tennessee. His name was Captain Eli Lilly. He was a pharmacist from Indianapolis. Find a book on line called Yankee Artillerymen. If you cant find it then travel to Washbash College in Crawfordville , Ind and research their library. I traveled to Crawfordville in 1987 or so because i wanted to know more about the men who camped on the hill above our town. I did. It was Captain Lilly .

If you were to retrace the steps of the Famous Eli Lilly , that would be a good trip. But dont expect to find much. Why ? Because we use Tesoro Metal Detectors in these parts !

roaddust66 was all excited following your detailed thread, was ready to figure out when i could get over to Crawfordsville! Got even more excited because my daughters name is Lilly and we collect Eli Lilly and Company pictures and propaganda from around town its a fun family game we have been playing for her 6 years now...so you can imagine boy was I all fired up! Then read got to your "sting" :roll: at the end! lol! Hey there is always the possibility I just come at it from a different angle and grab that overlooked relic that got mistaken/masked for/by a pull tab! I don't expect it to be easy! If you end up deciding to share any more wisdom on your area shoot me a PM, I would love to connect. Chattanooga/Cleveland area could easily be part of the game plan!! But overall thanks for the reply, awesome story...and I'll admit I'm still gonna make the trip to Crawfordsville before we go to have read up :)

You might have some trouble getting permission. Yankees coming down here is the whole reason all these artifacts are in the ground :laughing::lol:

You might have some trouble getting permission. Yankees coming down here is the whole reason all these artifacts are in the ground :laughing::lol:

This true Im having a real tuff time. If any TN folk could throw a guy a bone I sure would be grateful...:D

Back
Top Bottom