• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I think I thought I saw a War nickel

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I did! I did! I did see a war nickel! When I dug it, a few days ago, I thought it looked healthy, like it had some silver in it. My first sight of the date looked like '45, but then I rubbed it dirty, and my field inspection determined it was 1970-something...in the pouch, and on I went. I was taking another look at my dirty clad today, and one nickel didn't quite look like the others. I cleaned it up with a toothbrush & baking soda. 1945 S. Nice. My official silver coin count fty is now revised to 18.

Attachments

• DSCN4072.jpg
    DSCN4072.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN4076.jpg
    DSCN4076.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 129
I really enjoy finding war nickels. I always check for the oversized mint mark above Monticello. Good one!

Niiiiice.

Believe it or not, I got a 1945 S back in my change the other day!

Congrats on the surprise war nickel. I've had a couple so crusty that they got tossed in the clad pile and turned out to be a pleasant surprise while cleaning the clad.:)

Nice find!! Love the War nickels:grin: Do me a favor, Since it is a "S" mint mark air test it with your machine and let me know if it rings in like a typical nickel.

I have dug bunches of war nickels and all ring in close to a normal nickel except the "S" mints ring up super high. I have had a few that ring up almost like quarters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3s66vilE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv0sdrmSXb0

Well, I just tried air testing indoors. My Whites Eagle Spectrum had some various results in 2 diff modes. The most consistent was in the screw cap range, at 52, 53. I think it was a strong nickel signal (25?) in the dirt, when I found it, but indoors, my machine keeps trying to discriminate it out.
Interesting, about The diff in S mint war nickels.

I am not surprised. As you might have saw all the "S" mints came in way high in the videos. Even in the ground. While the P and D mints always stayed in the nickel range. Maybe their mixture of the metals wasn't uniform in San Francisco? Thanks for checking :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom