Excalibur Coil Flaking by Mounting Tabs

Anthony

While cleaning my Excalibur I noticed some flaking on the inside of the tabs around the mounting holes where the nylon screw mounts the coil to the lower stem. It seems to be the plastic coating. Anyone else experience this? Is the tabs on the top of the coil solid plastic at that point? I was thinking of resealing it by brushing on some marine epoxy around the holes. This might be caused by the coil moving on the lower stem mount. Just concerned about keeping the coil water tight. If the mounting tabs on the coil are solid plastic it shouldn't be an issue. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Anthony

I have replaced the worn away (flaking?) area many times over the years with an epoxy product called PC-7 with no ill affects. Make sure that your tear shaped rubber washers are in good shape and the end cups on the lower rod that hold the washers are not worn away. If so, replace the washers and / or the lower rod.

HINT: to make the rubber washer remain usable if you do not have new ones it so put a very thin round washer between the tear drop and the lower rod cup area. As the tear drops wear, put one washer on only one side. Then as the tear drop's wear progresses, put a thin washer on the other side. Turning the tear drops over every so often also equalizes the wear on the rubber. DO NOT lubricate this area as the tear drop washers provide the friction to keep the coil from freely shifting position relative to the lower shaft.

If you can't find washers just cut a piece or 2 of electrical tape and put it between the lower rod and the washers. As the washers wear down just add another piece if tape

If you can't find washers just cut a piece or 2 of electrical tape and put it between the lower rod and the washers. As the washers wear down just add another piece if tape

I have used thin washers that I have cut out from the sides of plastic Coke bottles.

I bought a set of cheap punches to cut round ones. I normally use the harder rubber with strings in it. If you think its head movement...... replace them DONT keep cranking down that bolt.... you WILL separate the coil on the bottom. If you want to slow the wear.....use rubber washers on the outside as well.

Back
Top Bottom