Cobalt Ring - a first for me.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I'm continually surprised at what comes out of the ground.

Made a trip to a far-off place, yesterday, to celebrate GW's birthday. :) I spent the day looking for quarters with his face on them!

In the process of loading up my change bag with a grand total of 64 quarters ($16 even), I came across four rings.

2 mood rings, 1 squished costume (but nice) ring, and a "CobaltChrome" ring with a TT hallmark.

I'd heard about Cobalt, but had never found one. It has the look of titanium, is about 2/3 the weight of a tungsten, and feels very nice. It rang up a 58/60 on the AT Max, and was solid as a rock on the signal.

This was about 3" down in the middle of a football field laden with quarters. I had hoped for a gold class ring, but a unique one was fun, too.

"Cobalt! The new age non-precious jewelry that you pay wayyyy to much for!"

Because Cobalt is wicked cool, right? :) I think so. Going into my treasure box.

Yesterday's rings were #26-29, and Cobalt was Ring #27.

Cheers,

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_4561(2).jpg
    IMG_4561(2).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 475
I'm continually surprised at what comes out of the ground.

Made a trip to a far-off place, yesterday, to celebrate GW's birthday. :) I spent the day looking for quarters with his face on them!

In the process of loading up my change bag with a grand total of 64 quarters ($16 even), I came across four rings.

2 mood rings, 1 squished costume (but nice) ring, and a "CobaltChrome" ring with a TT hallmark.

I'd heard about Cobalt, but had never found one. It has the look of titanium, is about 2/3 the weight of a tungsten, and feels very nice. It rang up a 58/60 on the AT Max, and was solid as a rock on the signal.

This was about 3" down in the middle of a football field laden with quarters. I had hoped for a gold class ring, but a unique one was fun, too.

"Cobalt! The new age non-precious jewelry that you pay wayyyy to much for!"

Because Cobalt is wicked cool, right? :) I think so. Going into my treasure box.

Yesterday's rings were #26-29, and Cobalt was Ring #27.

Cheers,

Skippy

Great job on the cobalt Skippy
I have found 6 rings now and ALL are different metals.
1 Silver
1 Gold
1 Stainless Steel
1 Pewter
1 Who Knows
1 Tungsten I think.. the metal looks machined and has a greenish tint.. rang in the foil range.
I am SURE Cobalt is next on my list :yes:

Great job on the cobalt Skippy
I have found 6 rings now and ALL are different metals.
1 Silver
1 Gold
1 Stainless Steel
1 Pewter
1 Who Knows
1 Tungsten I think.. the metal looks machined and has a greenish tint.. rang in the foil range.
I am SURE Cobalt is next on my list :yes:

That's amazing that you've found such a selection. With 620+ rings found, I can say, with some measure of authority, that cobalt aren't that common where I live. LOL

For the Tungsten, if it's incredibly heavy for the size, and has a metallic ring to it, you're pretty good to go that it's tungsten (they're so very dense, it's hard not to know what they are).

Good luck finding your 7th ring, and I'd laugh hard, if it was, in fact... a cobalt!

That's amazing that you've found such a selection. With 620+ rings found, I can say, with some measure of authority, that cobalt aren't that common where I live. LOL

For the Tungsten, if it's incredibly heavy for the size, and has a metallic ring to it, you're pretty good to go that it's tungsten (they're so very dense, it's hard not to know what they are).

Good luck finding your 7th ring, and I'd laugh hard, if it was, in fact... a cobalt!

hmm you got me wondering on the Tungsten.. it really isn't that heavy. weighs 4 gm and is about the same size as my 14k wedding band that is 7
if it isn't tungsten not sure what it would be.. definitely has a metallic "ping" to it when dropped.. higher pitch than all the others.. it was the green tint that made me thing Tungsten.
ya it would be funny if my next is cobalt..

hmm you got me wondering on the Tungsten.. it really isn't that heavy. weighs 4 gm and is about the same size as my 14k wedding band that is 7
if it isn't tungsten not sure what it would be.. definitely has a metallic "ping" to it when dropped.. higher pitch than all the others.. it was the green tint that made me thing Tungsten.

Yeah, Tungsten is definitely dense stuff. Definitely heavier than most metals of the same size. In fact, it's almost identical to Pure Gold's density. Gold is 19.30 grams per cubic centimeter, and Tungsten is 19.25. Both of them, in ring form, are alloys, though, Gold with 14K and Tungsten is really Tungsten steel.

Bottom line is... your tungsten rings will be slightly more dense than your low carat gold rings. I've found them to be about as dense as 18K, from my experience holding them.

If you've got a green tint to it, it's possible you've got some anodized aluminum or steel. Regardless...rings are cool no matter what colors they come in. :D

Could also just be a stainless steel one, too. Magnet test for regular steel?

Maybe unobtainium.

Back
Top Bottom